REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2845873 - 09/13/18 03:34 PM Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR
deforest Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: California
Anyone listen yet?

Pretty interesting to hear Javier explain flex. When I first met Javier talk about flex, it took me a little bit to get over the natural response of (he's just trying to sell you his product), but now I find it interesting to hear how the flex of a board plays a role in the performance.

I've heard it explained that other board brands have a "stock construction" (for lack of a better word) for all their boards. Same glassing schedule, etc. for every board... nothing changes as you go up in size. So my stock 5'6" OTR board has the same flex construction as a 6'2" stock OTR board. So my stocky 150lbs body isnt flexing the board the same way for the 210lb guy. (I wonder if its too stiff for me and perfect for him, or the other way around thought)
So XTR customizes the flex for my weight so that the board is working perfectly... makes a lot of sense when i heard it explained that way.

The topic of wood stringers was interesting too. I've also heard JKB talk about wood stringers and imperfections in the wood that's used (weak spots in the wood, density of the wood (too dry or too damp), etc.) So it seems like using alternative stringers, carbon strips, and glassing schedule to control stiffness is not only better, but more reliable in getting a consistent flex.

I thought the podcast was rad and was nice to hear Javier elaborate on his trials and errors in dealing with epoxy and alternative surfboard construction. hat jam_on

#2845989 - 09/13/18 06:17 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: deforest]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Your mostly riding only the rear 1/3 of your board

What are you "bending" off of ?

#2846047 - 09/13/18 08:11 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: Greg Griffin]
SenorSopa Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Ponto
For 1st order solutions, your two feet are fulcrums. Bending will concentrate at those points.

Edited by SenorSopa (09/13/18 08:11 PM)

#2846051 - 09/13/18 08:32 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: deforest]
crotchgrab Online   content
Nep status

I've been taking advantage of the different flex offerings with really great results. Like Javier, I have a couple of very similar shortboards: one in a more flexible construction for smaller waves and one in what should be the standard stiffness for my weight.
It's unmistakable how much better the flexier board rides in smaller waves. Gaining speed in and out of turns. Fitting turns in smaller pockets.
I can distinctly feel it flexing. It gets way too squirrely in larger waves. The rocker flexes too much.
Great product. And Javier's a cool cat.

#2846079 - 09/13/18 09:28 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: Greg Griffin]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Your mostly riding only the rear 1/3 of your board

What are you "bending" off of ?

The tail, right in the middle of the fins and finboxes roflmao

#2846102 - 09/13/18 10:20 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: ghostshaper]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Tail Patch = 3 layers of cloth + Carbon patches

Center concave to create lift

Single to double with Vee off the tail

Front Foot surfing

bricks

Twinzer 10 years ago :

wave2

#2846110 - 09/13/18 10:38 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: deforest]
ZeeHawk Offline
Grom

Loc: Big Asian Island
That was a pretty fun podcast. Looking forward to getting my first XTR and feeling for myself!

#2846135 - 09/13/18 11:49 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: ZeeHawk]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Yeah, may do this with my next small wave bore

And congrats griff for sliding one of your boards in an XTR thread!

#2846173 - 09/14/18 06:33 AM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: silentbutdeadly]
ZeeHawk Offline
Grom

Loc: Big Asian Island
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

roflmao

#2846178 - 09/14/18 06:46 AM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: Greg Griffin]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Loc: Melbourne Australia

Center concave to create lift

Single to double with Vee off the tail

Front Foot surfing

bricks

Twinzer 10 years ago :
wave2

shocked2

??!! did your really say that, or has someone hacked your account, or were you joking, or it was for real, but you now believe you have moved on to better things?

#2846187 - 09/14/18 07:22 AM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: Mr J]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Oh Poop !

I forgot ---- S Wings wave2

So lets really discuss Flex in boards while really only riding the rear third of your board with 70 % + on your rear foot .

What are you Bending from ?

#2846259 - 09/14/18 10:21 AM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: Greg Griffin]
crotchgrab Online   content
Nep status

So lets really discuss Flex in boards while really only riding the rear third of your board with 70 % + on your rear foot .

What are you Bending from ?

The experiment run by Red Bull when they hired all those scientists to hook up all those crazy sensors to those junior pro surfers found otherwise. Much more overall distribution of weight between feet. The back foot still taking the majority but it was a surprisingly even load difference; something like 55% to 45%.
Then again, if you havent been on a narrow HPSB in 30 years, no one would expect you to remember the feeling.

Edited by crotchgrab (09/14/18 10:21 AM)

#2846309 - 09/14/18 11:57 AM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: ZeeHawk]
Havoc4k Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: in da hood next to paradise
Originally Posted By: ZeeHawk
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

roflmao

roflmao

maybe bc u can get them in xtr?

I think Tomo is with firewire for more than just money. He helped them developed the LFT tech. I think he sincerely believes in the tech -deforest

I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following -deforest

#2846320 - 09/14/18 12:06 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: Havoc4k]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
I want a griff with deep concave and plastic fins (template doesn't matter) in XTR

#2846381 - 09/14/18 12:48 PM Re: Boardroom Show Podcast with Javier from XTR [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
2 boards the same size and glass schedule.

One has a triple stringer and the other is stringerless.

One would not be able to feel a difference in flex Greg?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >