REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2827165 - 07/29/18 02:40 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
rts265 Offline
Michael Peterson status

I had the shortness of breath only one time - I was in a high state anxiety for like a week when I experienced that. That has not re occurred. I do have other issues I already mentioned I want to discuss with dr. I found that anxiety can cause shortness of breath. I’m sure most of you understand surfing was the best thing for me though I was not sure if I should go to er or not.

#2827202 - 07/29/18 07:21 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your mom’s house
Have you tried a front zip vest/jacket?

- The Wasp

#2827246 - 07/30/18 02:21 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

been going through this testing routine ever since my brother had his first heart attack over 20 years ago
our father kind of died in my arms after collapsing from a major heart attack he sufferred from an enlarged heart for decades before passing and it really limited his life towards the end.
Being the fat sht cubicle dweller of the family I've been doing the tests over ad over again every time my brother had another heart attack. The EKG, sonogram, treadmill even the one they shoot you full of radioactive stuff to monitor your heart in real time.

But about 4 years ago I started over heating and getting light headed doing heavy yard work in the hot sun. I always thought it was because I was old and out of shape. Then it started to get worse to the point I went in and got anotehr whole test routine done only to find nothing. I used to get pains in the chest all the time but the over heating and lightheadedness was new and inconpacitating usually wiping me out for the rest of the day.

Last year around October while conferring with a cardiologist who said they didn't find anything, He listened to what was happening and went back to dig through my records (I had sit in the exam room for an hour while they did this). They lucked out with an old CAT scan that was done when I came in with a ruptured appendix about 8 years ago. In that CAT scan they got a picture of my heart where they saw a pretty good sized blockage at that time and concluded that it must have gotten much worse leading to the issues I was having with any form of physical exertion. They opted to try and deal with it via medicine for now but if it doesn't clear with the medicine, they need to go in for a look and use the balloon and stents as a last alternative. My brother ended up fully stented before they had to crack his chest for a 5 bypass. We have complimenting scars mine from my burst appendix and his from his heart by pass.

I guess the crux of that long story is that those tests mean squat, they need to go in and check the tunnels for blockage or maybe via a less invasive CAT scan.

The key I've heard from many to know if you are having a heart attack is sudden excessive sweating for no apparent reason, along with chest tightness and numbness in one of your arms.

This problem compounded with a painfully frozen shoulder and severe arthritis under my left knee cap has really hindered my ability to surf. I've that I can ride the wave once I get in but getting out and catching waves are the challenge. Oh yeah not being able to surf alone with this heart condition is another limiting challenge.

Just because you are "in shape" muscles and weight wise doesn't reflect the shape of your heart and blood vessels. Lots of local legend super athletes passed away from a sudden massive heart attack.

Get it checked thoroughly

#2827321 - 07/30/18 11:28 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: oneula]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: oneula
been going through this testing routine ever since my brother had his first heart attack over 20 years ago
our father kind of died in my arms after collapsing from a major heart attack he sufferred from an enlarged heart for decades before passing and it really limited his life towards the end.
Being the fat sht cubicle dweller of the family I've been doing the tests over ad over again every time my brother had another heart attack. The EKG, sonogram, treadmill even the one they shoot you full of radioactive stuff to monitor your heart in real time.

But about 4 years ago I started over heating and getting light headed doing heavy yard work in the hot sun. I always thought it was because I was old and out of shape. Then it started to get worse to the point I went in and got anotehr whole test routine done only to find nothing. I used to get pains in the chest all the time but the over heating and lightheadedness was new and inconpacitating usually wiping me out for the rest of the day.

Last year around October while conferring with a cardiologist who said they didn't find anything, He listened to what was happening and went back to dig through my records (I had sit in the exam room for an hour while they did this). They lucked out with an old CAT scan that was done when I came in with a ruptured appendix about 8 years ago. In that CAT scan they got a picture of my heart where they saw a pretty good sized blockage at that time and concluded that it must have gotten much worse leading to the issues I was having with any form of physical exertion. They opted to try and deal with it via medicine for now but if it doesn't clear with the medicine, they need to go in for a look and use the balloon and stents as a last alternative. My brother ended up fully stented before they had to crack his chest for a 5 bypass. We have complimenting scars mine from my burst appendix and his from his heart by pass.

I guess the crux of that long story is that those tests mean squat, they need to go in and check the tunnels for blockage or maybe via a less invasive CAT scan.

The key I've heard from many to know if you are having a heart attack is sudden excessive sweating for no apparent reason, along with chest tightness and numbness in one of your arms.

This problem compounded with a painfully frozen shoulder and severe arthritis under my left knee cap has really hindered my ability to surf. I've that I can ride the wave once I get in but getting out and catching waves are the challenge. Oh yeah not being able to surf alone with this heart condition is another limiting challenge.

Just because you are "in shape" muscles and weight wise doesn't reflect the shape of your heart and blood vessels. Lots of local legend super athletes passed away from a sudden massive heart attack.

Get it checked thoroughly

I also have been having trouble with my left shoulder. It was also "frozen." I went for weeks of P.T. I could barely reach behind my back. I was relearning to do certain daily tasks, like putting on shirts, reaching back for the seatbelt. I finally went to the MD when I would occasionally get really sharp (8 or 9 on a scale of 10), jots of pain when surfing.

After PT it's gotten a bit better but I do get tingling, from the shoulder all the way to the back of my thumb after surfing or exercise. I always associate it with the shoulder over use injury, not anything heart related, but I better mention it to the MD.

Calling MD today for appointment.

ps- funny story about my primary care MD- when I started teaching they gave us a book of MDs to choose from. There were hundreds. I was asking myself, "How the heck do you choose? I've got no idea." Then as I was fanning through the book I came across one who had the same last name as mine. "He's our guy." It also turns out he is the closest possible MD, his office is about 4 block from our house. And we've been very happy with his care.

#2827323 - 07/30/18 11:33 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
rts265 Offline
Michael Peterson status

shoulder pain, tingling to hands can be neck. I have bulged discs that cause that.

#2827396 - 07/30/18 01:55 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

yup frozen shoulders suck

I had my right go out in 2012
couldn't even wipe my ass
felt like a punished muslim thief

can't put on a belt or reach back for your wallet.
but you learn to adapt
like putting on your belt before putting on your pants
or putting your wallet in the opposite pocket

now its my left that has gone out
the PT says is so common after turning fifty that the chinese has a name for it
there's no cure for "angry shoulder"
you just have to wait till it calms down and releases the joint
average tantrum is about 2 years
but you can always opt for "manipulation" surgery

Good Luck and take care
your beautiful wife, daughter and students need you around

#2827436 - 07/30/18 03:49 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: oneula]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Thanks B!

#2828298 - 08/01/18 04:59 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
JJJJS Offline
Grom

I felt some pretty deep pain in my upper chest the other day after surfing. I was told it's because I wasn't relaxed whilst surfing i.e. I was tense across my whole upper body. I agree with that diagnosis

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

#2828337 - 08/01/18 05:31 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: JJJJS]
rts265 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: JJJJS
I felt some pretty deep pain in my upper chest the other day after surfing. I was told it's because I wasn't relaxed whilst surfing i.e. I was tense across my whole upper body. I agree with that diagnosis

cheers

#2828501 - 08/02/18 12:12 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
The thing about heart problems is they can be a killer.

But you can have soft tissue issues with the diaphragm and the scalines and it feels awful and it just tension in the muscles.

Or it could be gall bladder issues. or Kidneys.

--Dr Dingleberry out!@

#2829782 - 08/05/18 02:57 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Autoprax]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Central Cal
It may not be heart related. It can be asthma related.

Been having a seriously hard time at work lately.

Scents.

Turns out I am allergic to most all perfumes, hand cleaners, bleach, household cleaners. The fake stuff hits me in the face like a closeout wave. I can't breath. Abuterol inhaler to recover.

Take a close look.

#2841334 - 09/03/18 11:28 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Follow up-

Doc says it's probably not my heart but, as Leaverite suggested, asthma. I told him that I never felt any difficulty breathing and for sure was never wheezing, but he said there is a form of asthma where you do not wheeze. he kind of ruled out heart problems because my blood pressure ois normal and my cholesterol is really good. He said heart problems are normally preceded by these indicators.

He is still going to have me do a "maximal stress" treadmill test. I order to get a appointment in the late afternoon so as not to miss work the appt is in a month.

#2841736 - 09/04/18 01:58 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge
is that a VO2 max test? If so I bet you crush the thing given your marathon accomplishments. Are you planning on wearing your sandals for it?

#2845667 - 09/13/18 09:40 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status

There is one and only one cure. Get off the carbohydrates and onto fats. Your allergies are likely mediated by eosyniphils. Mine were mediated by T-cells. The differences are technical and system-dependent.

Allergies eventually turn into autoimmune disease like mine did. They are caused by gut bacteria which mimic foods and human tissue. These bacteria feed on carbohydrates.

Find a source for ghee. Costco carries it. Or learn to clarify butter.

#2849023 - 09/20/18 01:23 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: patrolman]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: patrolman

ps- funny story about my primary care MD- when I started teaching they gave us a book of MDs to choose from. There were hundreds. I was asking myself, "How the heck do you choose? I've got no idea." Then as I was fanning through the book I came across one who had the same last name as mine. "He's our guy." It also turns out he is the closest possible MD, his office is about 4 block from our house. And we've been very happy with his care.

Hahaha, I had the same response to my list of doctors to choose from. The first primary care doctor I chose was based on her name: Dr Cutter.

When she moved on, I was reassigned to Dr Null. That had a nice super villain lilt to it, so I didn't bother to change it.

The he moved on, and now I find the new doctor's Eastern European accent strangely amusing, so I've stayed with her.

"But Mr Doof, what about their qualifications...you base your health care choices on names and funny accents?"

I care far more about the emergency room professionals than docs I see maybe once every 5-10 years.....maybe if I was a sicker person I'd fret more that the medical profession has a bunch of unqualified losers strategically placed in my way.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32