REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2831165 - 08/09/18 03:10 AM Nicaragua - situation BAD!
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status

Conservatively 500 murders since spring, thousands of business's closed, no rule of law,
tourism has tanked and after dark fear keeps them inside.

The surf zone might be safe but probably nowhere else.

#2831495 - 08/10/18 02:49 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
attention STFU - you fvcking idiot - stick to a subject that you have actual knowledge about instead of trying to gain attention and instill fear by regurgitating old news.

Edited by flyinraptr (08/10/18 02:54 PM)

#2831497 - 08/10/18 02:52 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
grapedrink Online   happy
Miki Dora status

Loc: A Beach
roflmao ban

#2831506 - 08/10/18 03:08 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
scdad Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Clemente, CA
I've been down here all week, and it's been great. No issues on our drive from Managua last Saturday other than 1 fender bender we saw. This has been one of my best trips ever and I'm super stoked I came. So are the other guys on my trip. Waves have been amazing and next week looks solid.

I'll be back.

#2831511 - 08/10/18 03:13 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: scdad]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: scdad
I've been down here all week, and it's been great. No issues on our drive from Managua last Saturday other than 1 fender bender we saw. This has been one of my best trips ever and I'm super stoked I came. So are the other guys on my trip. Waves have been amazing and next week looks solid.

I'll be back.

Stocked for you guys! Winds have been a little stronger than usual for this time of year - at least they're blowing in the right direction. Had a solo sesh yesterday afternoon at the reef break here - HH+ A-frames - so much fun! Expect a little bump on Sun and then Mon - Wed should be a lot fun!

#2831516 - 08/10/18 03:22 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
Are the crowds lighter than normal in the lineups?

#2831527 - 08/10/18 03:52 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
scdad Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Clemente, CA
I don't know what normal is since this is my first to Nicaragua, but most of my sessions have either been by myself or 1-6 guys out. The have been 2 sessions this week when there were 2 boats here and 15 guys in the water. That's nothing for my regular breaks so it was no problem for me. I'm logging 6-8 hours per day. Even scored while fishing. Waves have been up and down between chest and HH+.

#2831541 - 08/10/18 04:30 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: manbearpig]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Down here in the south - definitely. Hacienda Iguana is one of the few places that even has guests right now and most of the houses/condos etc are empty. Starting to see some small groups of hard core surfers show up. In the last week and a half, I have chatted with guys from Brazil, France, Argentina and San Diego out in the lineup. Kinda in-between swells right now but looks like it could turn on next week - not looking to be as big as the last swell but should be a few feet overhead depending on the spot.

#2831634 - 08/10/18 09:34 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
rts265 Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Felt way safer in nica than el Sal. Cant comment on current events.

They have a giant statue of Rambo on the capitol.

#2831676 - 08/11/18 04:15 AM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: flyinraptr]
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: flyinraptr
attention STFU - you fvcking idiot - stick to a subject that you have actual knowledge about instead of trying to gain attention and instill fear by regurgitating old news.

the news isn't old and you are a siren.

#2831883 - 08/11/18 04:40 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: acnjusa
Originally Posted By: flyinraptr

the news isn't old and you are a siren.

When was the last time you were in Nica if ever? i like how you're calling me a siren when you've just posted something about the sky is falling in Nicaragua that you probably have no direct knowledge about. The only thing you're doing besides trying to draw attention to yourself is making it more difficult for the local businesses here that are dependent on tourism to stay afloat. But i'm sure you don't care about that because you're probably just some idiot behind a keyboard who doesn't even fvcking surf. And yes it is old news - the civil unrest is for all essential purposes over - it ended when the govt. took back control of Masaya weeks ago.

#2832085 - 08/12/18 12:01 AM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: manbearpig]
Racer1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii

This is what I was thinking. Let the fear mongering continue, I haven't made my way down there yet.

Could I fly to CR and then take a small commuter to surf zone?

Edited by Racer1 (08/12/18 12:01 AM)

#2832205 - 08/12/18 12:25 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: Racer1]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: Racer1

This is what I was thinking. Let the fear mongering continue, I haven't made my way down there yet.

Could I fly to CR and then take a small commuter to surf zone?

Yes - the typical route is to fly into Liberia,CR - then take a puddle jumper (Sansa Airlines) to the Emerald Coast Airport (just outside the Hacienda Iguana gates). Only limiting factor is size of the board bag on the small plane. However, i'm told that Sansa recently raised their rates for the 20min flight from Liberia. But quite honestly - not necessary to avoid Managua any longer - all transportation services are running routinely back and forth between the airport - since the unrest began in April - there have been no reported incidents involving tourists/surfers going to/from the airport. Last week - Mrs. Flyinraptr and i did a shopping run to Managua to pick supplies by ourselves with no issues - no sight of either involved parties - all roadblocks etc - cleared - it was business as usual.

#2832227 - 08/12/18 01:48 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: acnjusa]
rts265 Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Couldnt believe how safe Nicaragua felt. Very friendly people.

#2832250 - 08/12/18 03:00 PM Re: Nicaragua - situation BAD! [Re: rts265]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: rts265
Couldnt believe how safe Nicaragua felt. Very friendly people.

Yes - they are but no matter where you travel - Nica included - there will always be people with bad intentions. One thing that i found interesting is after being here for 10 months straight - we did a quick trip back to the OC for a couple days. In addition to the traffic of course, i couldn't believe how stressed and tense people seemed to be everywhere we went. When you're living in it as we use to - you don't notice it but coming back it was really noticeable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32