REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2831416 - 08/10/18 08:13 AM Fin question
JTS Online   content
Legend (inyourownmind)

I was wondering how bottom contours affect fin choice? Specifically channel bottoms and convex bottoms (not a hull though)
I was thinking both of these would reduce the amount of hold/drive required from the fins, is this correct?
JTS

#2831419 - 08/10/18 08:34 AM Re: Fin question [Re: JTS]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Nar
I ride channel bottoms quite a bit and I usually just go for the same template but down a size. ie I ride m5s normally but m3s work for my channeled boards. These boards all have significant vee with double con through the engine room. I will ride them in anything and dont hold the opinion that they are only for smooth waves etc, but If you put too much fin on them they just stop dead....like dragging a truck tyre. Ive found you can put more or less fin from the ideal to match the power of the wave too.

As for straight convex bottoms, I cant say but I would assume a little more fin would be better (all things being equal). Depends on rocker etc as always.

#2831433 - 08/10/18 10:35 AM Re: Fin question [Re: JTS]
Halcyon Offline
Nep status

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Channel Bottom will almost always have a thruster fin set-up. A little less fin area will be a good call
because the board will have more hold than one that's unchanneled.

Convex Bottom then to be single fin boards most often and will want a flexible fin without too much
fin base. These board sit down in the water and like the power of the wave. Stiff large fins just wash out and make them feel rather dead.

Stay Stoked, Rich

#2831444 - 08/10/18 11:07 AM Re: Fin question [Re: Halcyon]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida

#2831507 - 08/10/18 03:08 PM Re: Fin question [Re: JTS]
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: JTS
I was thinking both of these would reduce the amount of hold/drive required from the fins, is this correct?
JTS

Four deep channel bottom I got recently, allowed for smaller fin requirement

#2833400 - 08/15/18 11:53 AM Re: Fin question [Re: JTS]
JTS Online   content
Legend (inyourownmind)

Thanks for the info that helps
JTS