REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2831220 - 08/09/18 11:28 AM Portugal in January
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
Noble people of the Errb.

I actually made a post about this last year but my planned trip was scrapped for another and I postponed it. This forum also only has two pages of records so could not revisit. Looking to head to Portugal in Jan for 2-3 weeks and rent a camper to surf my brains out. Anyone been this time of year? Is the surf generally massive or will there be plenty of mortal sized days?

A close second is Spain for same time frame at this time.

Edited by manbearpig (08/09/18 11:45 AM)

#2831283 - 08/09/18 03:18 PM Re: Portugal in January [Re: manbearpig]
daave Offline
Nep status

Was there last January (happened to catch that XXXL nazare swell). Yes they get a ton of swell that time of year. Guessing you're a pretty decent surfer - if so, there are spots for every size/direction etc. without having to surf massive waves. Some of the more exposed spots may be overloaded - but I caught all the big-name spots (and some nooks as well) pretty much going off. One of my favorite trips ever. If you have any specific questions just let me know (either on here or PM is fine). Good luck!

#2831350 - 08/09/18 08:23 PM Re: Portugal in January [Re: manbearpig]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

PMd

Edited by manbearpig (08/10/18 12:22 PM)

#2831356 - 08/09/18 08:47 PM Re: Portugal in January [Re: manbearpig]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Double post

Edited by manbearpig (08/10/18 12:22 PM)

#2832346 - 08/12/18 08:48 PM Re: Portugal in January [Re: manbearpig]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Anyone been to algarve region?

#2832389 - 08/12/18 10:36 PM Re: Portugal in January [Re: manbearpig]
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Anyone been to algarve region?

Wife and I spent a few days in the Algarve many years ago after being in Southern Spain for a bit.
We f'ing loved it there. Epic, beautiful towns and beaches and a short drive around the corner and
up the west coast is such an awesome area with more amazing beaches and many potentially killer
surf spots. Rented a board one day and got very fun waves at a spot that reminded me a bit of Windansea
or something with only a couple others out. I'd love to go back there and explore further north,
but the Algarve area is epic, imo.

#2833257 - 08/14/18 09:32 PM Re: Portugal in January [Re: Oceanslide]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Cool, the video's I have seen have been mediocre but everyone raves about it. So I assume there's more to what little I have seen so far, especially from what I'm hearing.

Thanks.

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32