REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2808211 - 06/14/18 05:59 PM knee stuff
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

so for the last 5 years I've been suffering from two frozen shoulders
the first was the right which lasted 2-3 years and just suddenly got better and then 2+ years ago my left went out which has prevented me from surfing because I'm can't paddle or wipe out without tremendous pain.

Anyway I've been going to PT for the shoulder but about two months ago my left knee went out (weak and pain) so much so I need to walk with a cane when even I'm carry a heavy load like my work bag. I thought it was cause i'm 40-50 pounds overweight for my height. Anyway they took xrays and I started PT for my knee and my shoulder now. The PT after examination of my knee said I needed to exercise and strengthen my gluts since I sit down most of the day in my office job. He also said I need to strengthen my core as well and suggested a ball chair and standing desk. The inference was that my knee was compensating for and strained due to the lack of core and glut muscles.

about 5-6 years ago I had complete knee replacement surgery of my right knee and they were supposed to do the left as well but don't do both knees at the same time anymore. The Orthor said to go as long as I can before doing the left. Prior to all this I've had multiple arthroscopic procedures for torn and blown out meniscus on the right and left.

Well during my followup with my new kaiser ortho yesterday I asked him about my knee as he was focusing on my shoulder. Well when he pulled the xrays I was shocked that the issue wasn't my meniscus as I had believed but that almost the entire area under my knee cap between the knee cap and the patella was closed up and blocked off by what the ortho called severe arthritis. When I asked him what could be done or if braces could help, he said no and nothing could be done to easily remedy things. When I asked if they could go in and scrap out the arthritis he said no that knee replacement would be the next best course if I wanted to or just live with the pain

I this true?

some folks told me that they can shave the arthritis off the bone to clear up the gap in order for the knee cap to move freely again. Is this wrong?

I though I heard of bone shaving being done before. Or is it that the arthritis would just return like the doc said. Is that true, that once you have severe arthritis like this it you have it for ever?

Funny, cause he said he wanted to get me back in the water.
He asked if I would consider stand up paddle and I kind of gave him a stink eye.
I have half a dozen brand new boards I want to ride and need these handicaps to end before I get too old

Thanks

#2808320 - 06/14/18 11:25 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Leucadia
I have no medical advice to offer, but I hope you can do whatever you need to get back in the water. Kaiser has been good to me but you got to work it.

#2812211 - 06/23/18 08:42 AM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status

To my knowledge you can't "scrape away" arthritis. Arthritis happens when an antigen attaches to cartilage, and your immune system attacks the antigen and the cartilage. Some portion of the remaining cartilage gets mangled and becomes useless. I've heard of operations where a surgeon scrapes away the mangled portion and leaves the good portion. To be a candidate for such an operation you would have to have sufficient remaining good cartilage.

Cartilage is the lubricating covering of the bone ends. When the bones move without cartilage it wears away bone, with lots of accompanying pain.

The key to understanding and preventing arthritis requires a sea change in the way medical practitioners keep up with medical science. It's been shown that the bulk of autoimmune disease starts with the gut harboring harmful bacteria. Evolution has allowed some of these bacterial species to sensitize the immune system to food antigens and to human tissue.

The best evidence I can think of is leprosy .....attack by the bacteria m. leprae. M. leprae presents in patients as some specific autoimmune disease, or as systemic lupus. When asked, virtually all doctors say they don't know the cause of autoimmune disease. But when most doctors finally diagnose a case of leprosy among their autoimmune patients they immediately separate the patient from their list of autoimmune patients.

Why? Because they linked the disease to a cause.

Hello? You just discovered the cause of autoimmune disease.

But squidley! Protocol!

#2813147 - 06/25/18 12:13 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
https://timtam.tech/collections/all-collections/products/timtam-power-massager-v1-5

Go after the hamstrings, quads, and adductors hard.

These things work great!

Low risk low cost experimentation is the key.

"Who's the nutjob, nutjob?" --Squildy

#2813837 - 06/26/18 03:00 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

at my PT session last friday they had me press down on a tennis ball on the long muscle on the outside of my thigh
the idea is to pull the kneecap away for the area that's closed up with arthritis that's causing the pain and weekness.

Below is an xray of my left knee cap and gap above the patela
the clogged side in the inside where I have the most pain and where my GP told me I had bursitis
The Orthopedic Surgeon said its chronic arthritis

#2815062 - 06/28/18 05:18 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: oneula

Well during my followup with my new kaiser ortho yesterday I asked him about my knee as he was focusing on my shoulder. Well when he pulled the xrays I was shocked that the issue wasn't my meniscus as I had believed but that almost the entire area under my knee cap between the knee cap and the patella was closed up and blocked off by what the ortho called severe arthritis. When I asked him what could be done or if braces could help, he said no and nothing could be done to easily remedy things. When I asked if they could go in and scrap out the arthritis he said no that knee replacement would be the next best course if I wanted to or just live with the pain

I this true?

some folks told me that they can shave the arthritis off the bone to clear up the gap in order for the knee cap to move freely again. Is this wrong?

I though I heard of bone shaving being done before. Or is it that the arthritis would just return like the doc said. Is that true, that once you have severe arthritis like this it you have it for ever?

Funny, cause he said he wanted to get me back in the water.
He asked if I would consider stand up paddle and I kind of gave him a stink eye.
I have half a dozen brand new boards I want to ride and need these handicaps to end before I get too old

Thanks

Friend #1 just had a knee replaced...planed down the ends of the bones, drilled the holes, put in the new joint.

He had a fair bit of arthritis in there from two ACL repairs (careful playing soccer on the weekends at level 11, everyone).

They told him they couldn't just remove the arthritis crud and then sow everything back up because the joint surface was shot and wouldn't just go back to what it was.

So maybe this is the reason why they don't do it? Not that the arthritis could come back, but because the joint needs a proper bearing surface. Besides, I think arthritis is more than just surface damage.

Anyway, he is two months after the operation and in more pain than he thought he would be by now (he recovered well from the ACL repairs but he was 30 yrs younger for the first one and 20 years younger for the second). Heeling rate is such he is beginning to doubt he'll be ready for the utter horrible surf no one should ever move to SF for that we typically see come fall and winter

May have to pester R3W and heelnipster to meet me more often before work or way to early on the weekends....hey, that last time we went was pretty good until that clean-up set scattered us to hell, right? wave2

#2815163 - 06/28/18 07:52 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

I had full knee replacement of my right knee in 2014
and its never felt the same since
ie it feels like a rusty metal knee
plus from the kneecap to the middle of my calf I have no feeling because of all the nerves they severed when they cutoff my lag at the knee they warned me that sensitivity may never return
basically they cut off your leg above the knee and below it and then reassemble or bolt on the artificial titanium joint with a polypropelene ball inside of a ceramic coated cage (joint).
The PT was horrible and painful but the surgeon told me my leg was the most screwed up he had seen in a while because i went for about 5-10 years without a meniscus waiting till I got old enough to have it replaced since artificial knees only last 15-25 years.(the Polypro ball wears out)

Not looking forward to having that done to my other "real" knee but it looks like there's definitely arthritis in there
But I can't see how doing PT will clean out that clogged joint .

#2815486 - 06/29/18 02:57 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: oneula
at my PT session last friday they had me press down on a tennis ball on the long muscle on the outside of my thigh
the idea is to pull the kneecap away for the area that's closed up with arthritis that's causing the pain and weekness.

Below is an xray of my left knee cap and gap above the patela
the clogged side in the inside where I have the most pain and where my GP told me I had bursitis
The Orthopedic Surgeon said its chronic arthritis

Yea Gods! Now that is a frightful X-ray...just gave me sympathy shiver in both knees by looking at that.

My high opinion of you just ticked up a few notches because I've seen you walk and surf on that thing.

I don't know what would be best for treating that other than to transplant yourself in the 21 yr clone the clinic down the street has waiting for you.

#2816992 - 07/03/18 07:49 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Find some one good who can do good soft tissue work.

"Who's the nutjob, nutjob?" --Squildy

#2831245 - 08/09/18 12:46 PM Re: knee stuff [Re: oneula]
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status

I'm going back to the over-arching question of autoimmune disease .....What causes it? Why does it happen? Why doesn't the immune system get rid of the bacteria without getting rid of the tissue?

There is one simple over-arching answer. The immune system does not exist to protect the individual. The Immune system exists to protect the species. in most instances the two motives are concurrent. But under conditions of agricultural overcrowding the two motives conflict. It is in the homo sapiens species best interest that overcrowded populations get thinned out. Overcrowding is associated with agricultural carbohydrates, the same carbohydrates which cause bacterial mimicry and autoimmune disease. So when an individual's immune system is able to associate a disease with agriculture , as with autoimmune disease, it largely disregards curing it.

The solution is to stop ingesting carbohydrates, and replace them with fats. From personal experience, it works.

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32