REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2897461 - 01/13/19 09:56 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
sozzle Online   content
Billy Hamilton status

noel salad,
ghost - 5’9” x 18.88 x 2.44 Liters 26.70

phantom - 5’7” x 19 x 2.31 Liters 26.10

gremiln - 5’4” x 19.25 x 2.31 Liters 26.35

i went 2 1/2" under my height with a stock 5'7,

deffo would go an or so longer like aruka said, also agree with the low end not being quite what you would expect from the style of shape/dims,

really comes alive when the waves have some bowl, the low entry does seem to catch if its lumpy/bumpy/onshore though,

not a laid back ride, needs full driver input imo

i am enjoying it thoroughly in the right waves for sure though cheers

#2897744 - 01/14/19 03:10 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
shaheeb Offline
Grom

had a demo session on a stok 5'9 this last week in clean head hi drainers and again on waist to overhead slopey long easy clean walls. had a great first time session, very happy afterwards. conditions were good but the board helped also.
This board 'feels' very similiar to the gremlin,we have a 5'5 between wifey and I. first time she took the gremlin out, she started surfing like one, i was very surprised how well she went on it. fast fwd, if you like gremlin, phantom is a very similiar riding bort. demo blade was slighly overvolumed -5'9 - 19 1/4 2 7/16 28.7ltrs. im 165... only thing i noticed was a little bit of swing weight compared to some other boards. stock glass? dunno but would probably want a 5'8 for that day. maybe the 5'9 if you surf breaks w lots of water moving around.

easy speed, nice rail to rail, carves flowing turns, snaps easy.... medium am honeycombs worked well.
overall very nice board in my opinion. if i had to start over, i wouldnt be afraid to do the 3 board quiver of these.
...my flaming .02 of a review

#2897840 - 01/14/19 11:01 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Location Location
I have one, thruster, no quad option, I use the JJF fins. Works great, not really a groveler, more just an every day shortboard I ride in CA in any conditions. I have pared back to one surfboard in the van, and this is it.

#2898098 - 01/14/19 03:23 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
anyone ride a gremlin in addition to the phantom? curious how those two compare.

wonder if a hp-outline'd gremlin would be the ticket.

#2898113 - 01/14/19 03:40 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: youcantbeserious]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
I have a gremlin on order
Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
I have one, thruster, no quad option, I use the JJF fins. Works great, not really a groveler, more just an every day shortboard I ride in CA in any conditions. I have pared back to one surfboard in the van, and this is it.

How did you size yours ycbs?

#2898697 - 01/15/19 01:53 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
delmartian Offline
Grom

Loc: San Diego
I'm around 168lbs and have been riding the stock dims 5'9" (XTR construction though) Phantom for a while now. I think Jon's description of the board was to cover the range of "so-so to good" waves and I think that's spot on. It's not a groveler (that's what the Gremlin is for -- and I have one of those on order) but IMO the Phantom is a very fun, capable, and forgiving daily driver as long as you aren't surfing soft, longboarder style breaks. Anywhere from waist high to a bit overhead feels really good to me. Had a great session this morning in 4-5 foot waves with off shore wind and occasionally hollow sections. Paddled into the set waves easily and got partially covered a few times. The light rain kept the usual crowd away -- hopefully I won't end up with a sinus infection though.

I've been riding it as a quad and it feels good, but I might try it out as a thruster one of these days to compare.

The Gremlin I have on order is slightly stretched out instead of stock. Something like 5'7" x 19 3/4 x 2 7/16 to come out around 29.5 liters (so about a liter more than my Phantom). I expect that to cover the groveling as well as daily driver conditions for softer breaks (when I decide to join my longboarding friends at various softer point breaks and rocky reefs around this area).

#2898727 - 01/15/19 02:28 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: Aruka]
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Location Location
Originally Posted By: Aruka
I have a gremlin on order
Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious

How did you size yours ycbs?

I grabbed an OTR 6'3" from Jon's shop in Waialua, stock dims, it works unreal

#2898833 - 01/15/19 05:00 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
thelodge Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I have a 5'11 phantom. Got it for 4-6' NJ waves. Took it out today with the AM Med Air Core. Went pretty well in 3-4-5' surf. Felt very responsive, sharp turns but I have to get used to it before I can give a true review.
The air core fins seem to work well. My go to fin is AM med honeycomb.

#2901604 - 01/21/19 01:03 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb]
Waxfoot Offline
Grom

Just got this board a few days ago, and the surf went flat. Will report back.

82KG, riding a 5.10 stock board, 5 fin FCS setup. Bought some Large Aircode AM fins for it too. Will pair those side fins with quad performer M rears at some point too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2