REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2826417 - 07/26/18 10:43 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Goodfish]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Central Cal
If you have a good 4WD and some time to kill take a ride up Los Burros rd to the top
and then take a right on Cape San Martin Lookout rd and go all the way out to the very
end.

You will be on a flat platform directly above the slide and can look straight down on HWY 1
about 600' below. Awesome view!!!

#2826582 - 07/27/18 01:20 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Leaverite]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Leaverite
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Originally Posted By: SBSteve
Originally Posted By: rice
Drove through the new section on Saturday. Road is nice, wide, smooth; the surrounding hillside looks SKETCH. I give it a few rains, one winter tops, before it all goes again.

This^^^^

That area is even more un-stable than Salsipuedes

I got $1.00 that says the new road section stays in place over the winter. Any takers saying opposite?

Parts north and south of the new section, well, that is a different bet.

I'll take that bet.

They don't call the place "Mud Creek" for nothing...

Agreed, with same terms as agreed with Rice and Caelho.

Now to hope this coming El Nino is a mild one with regards to rainfall in Big Sur.

#2826817 - 07/28/18 12:38 AM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Leaverite]
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Santa Barbara County
If you have a good 4WD and some time to kill take a ride up Los Burros rd to the top
and then take a right on Cape San Martin Lookout rd and go all the way out to the very
end.

You will be on a flat platform directly above the slide and can look straight down on HWY 1

Leaverite is giving Big Sur travel tips?!?!?
When I get to your out of the way "lover's leap", are you going to be waiting to greet me with, "boy, you got a pretty mouth, now squeal like a pig "

#2827034 - 07/28/18 09:59 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: everysurfr]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: everysurfr
end.

Leaverite is giving Big Sur travel tips?!?!?
When I get to your out of the way "lover's leap", are you going to be waiting to greet me with, "boy, you got a pretty mouth, now squeal like a pig "

roflmao The odds of you actually finding it are about 1 in a million.

#2827944 - 07/31/18 06:41 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: r32]
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Had a great couple nights in Big Sur. Swell was funneling in pretty heavy in a few places. Monday was pretty full but Tues and Wednesday weren't too congested. The road is great.

#2835633 - 08/20/18 11:05 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: MrDobalina]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

You all hate me like an old raggdyass.

But maybe I have a few kernals of knowledge to pass along.

Extreme fire conditions down in Big Sur right now.

That means no campfires, anywhere. Propane stoves are only allowed in designated USFS campsites. That means you can't even brew up a cup of coffee legally alongside HW1.

$1000/person, $5000/group fine for camping alongside Nacamiento Road. The back country is essentially closed to camping with the Campground/propane stove deal.

Another gem is the 14 day rule. That is your window now if you post up. 14 in 365. Late...

Fvck ups up Plaskett Creek road. USFS comes through and makes Everybody leave.

#2835638 - 08/20/18 11:18 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: r32]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

If some of you want a little insight.

https://bigsurkate.blog/

Read it. Understand it.

A whole culture lives there. Outside of the boundries of the normal California/US standards.

A moment in time. Kindergarden through HS. for the kids. All taught under the same roof. 175 students.

Off The Grid. 2018 and still no power. Diesel generators, ice, still valuable commodities. Gorda.

#2836147 - 08/21/18 11:26 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: r32]
Iceman Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: NorCenCal
Looking forward to 95 miles of bike riding from Big Sur lodge to Morro Bay tomorrow.

#2836153 - 08/21/18 11:40 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Iceman]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

May the wind always be at your back.

#2836250 - 08/22/18 09:23 AM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Iceman]
beerbelly Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Your gnarly man!

#2836476 - 08/22/18 04:41 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Iceman]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Iceman
Looking forward to 95 miles of bike riding from Big Sur lodge to Morro Bay tomorrow.

jam_on

I'm going to do that this winter. Let us know how it goes.

#2836528 - 08/22/18 05:58 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: rice]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13

jam_on

You guys are fvcking crazy but that sounds pretty damn cool.

#2836846 - 08/23/18 12:07 AM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Mr Doof]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

You got this.

You sound like you want in, Rice.

Same bet, same terms?

roflmao bowdown

This bait right here is the crowning jewel of some great low-key Central California erBB banter in a stock thread.

#2837116 - 08/23/18 03:56 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

jam_on

You guys are fvcking crazy but that sounds pretty damn cool.

yeah no way, with the amount of traffic going on now that the road is open it's nuts. There was a super car rally going on yesterday and today, they were doing donuts in the rock parking lot, porsches ferraris lambos, I probably saw 10 mil go by me on the way to big sur. And the last couple of days I've met people from england, rome, spain and asia.

All that going on and riding a bike through big sur, no fvcking way!
Stay safe iceman!

Edited by Caelho (08/23/18 04:03 PM)

#2837129 - 08/23/18 04:26 PM Re: Big Sur road opening [Re: Caelho]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA

TRIP REPORT: This morning I finished up a long time goal of riding San Francisco - San Luis Obispo. A little over 300 Miles (with a few detours) of possibly the best coastal riding anywhere. Yesterday was the biggest leg stretching from Santa Cruz - Ragged Point 145 miles. Here is a mileage breakdown of the experience. . * 4:00 am wake up & ate soggy leftover sweet Potato fries from the night before w/ extra salt. Already sore from SF-SC 80 mile leg the day prior. * Mile 1-50 fog was so thick it drenched our clothes & felt like salty rain. Smell of eucalyptus filled our lungs as we passed Soquel & made our way through endless strawberry fields & empty roads * Mile 50-67 ate a donut, aa, matcha latte in Monterey & killed some time along 17 mile drive while the fog began to clear. Drinking as much water as possible * Waited in Carmel for a partner & ate a whole bag of salt & pepper chips & salad.. took shoes off fell asleep on a bench. * Woke up thirsty & drank a limonata & bought sour gummies at gas station before realized my back tire was going flat. While fixing I accidentally pulled out the valve stem, reinserted after asking people for tools - filled via C02 * Mike 67-80 rode to Big Sur river and climbed one of the biggest longest hills of my life. Legs were starting to feel it. Moving slow while some people yelled & honked at us while we moved along the gravelly dirt non-existent shoulder. Soaked body & mind in the river for 30 minutes & let the cold water do its thing to the muscles. Washed away the anxiety from the road. Sun was baking. Tourists were in full affect but luckily no cell service so most people focused on the road. . * Mile 100 I knew it was time to celebrate because a bumble bee flew in my mouth, luckily gag reflex kicked in & bee flew out. Ate pastries & rice Krispy treat & moved on. Someone yelled I follow you on instagram from their car.. made my day. * Mile 120 Less & less cars on the road & finally some downhill stretches. Clocked our fastest time at 42 mph. I could feel wind starting to pick me up. 🙁 climbed to Lucia for a final H20 stop, they had its-it ice cream sandwich which increased the stoke big time - REST IN COMMENTS

A post shared by ChrisBurkard (@chrisburkard) on

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32