REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2803109
06/04/18 05:50 PM
06/04/18 05:50 PM
world's largest oregon
Q
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status
Q_Surf  Offline
Duke status
Q

world's largest oregon
keyboard fight!!! fight

Nature's finest transportation
><((((>
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: _____] #2803112
06/04/18 05:56 PM
06/04/18 05:56 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Quote:
Royce Gracie UFC - went through how many rounds of fighting various martial artists, street fighters, boxers, big small, fat, Sumo, etc to win the whole thing? Then he did it again, and then again. 3 UFC titles back when you could head butt and give uppercuts to the nuts.

The early UFCs were a hoot to watch. It was made pretty clear early on that all the spin and jump kicks I grew up watching on ninja turtles, karate kid, Van Damme, Double Dragon, etc, while powerful if landed and cool to watch, were mostly impractical and likely to end badly for the person attempting them against a skilled grappler. Soon after MMA was mostly distilled down to jiu jitsu, boxing and thai kickboxing.
Seems that in recent years there have been some fighters that are reincorporating some of those types of maneuvers, but they are obviously well-versed in the fundamentals. It's pretty cool when you see a well executed kick to the dome that the other guy didn't see coming beer

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: grapedrink] #2803117
06/04/18 06:10 PM
06/04/18 06:10 PM
_
_____ Offline
Miki Dora status
_____  Offline
Miki Dora status
_

Originally Posted By: grapedrink
[ It's pretty cool when you see a well executed kick to the dome that the other guy didn't see coming beer

Like this (though he appears to be outmatched). Forward to 1:30. He got kicked so hard a snot slug dropped out of his nose and recoiled back in, or was that his brain hat . Impressive spray of sweat off his head from the impact of the foot/shin, and delayed fall too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHfEWSRm7gc

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: jbd] #2803120
06/04/18 06:12 PM
06/04/18 06:12 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
I've seen him demolish a black belt before.

Black belt in what?

I got a black belt in karate. Its completely worthless against any mediocre Thai boxer.

It was fun to do karate but I was totally delusional in thinking it help in a fight.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: _____] #2803124
06/04/18 06:14 PM
06/04/18 06:14 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
On the street where there aren't rules you might get a knife in your stomach, kicked in the head by your opponent's homies, shot, bitten, clubbed, arrested, etc, so yeah, run or diffuse.

Thats why I prefaced my first post on this subject by saying one on one, no weapons.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: grapedrink] #2803128
06/04/18 06:21 PM
06/04/18 06:21 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
Royce Gracie UFC - went through how many rounds of fighting various martial artists, street fighters, boxers, big small, fat, Sumo, etc to win the whole thing? Then he did it again, and then again. 3 UFC titles back when you could head butt and give uppercuts to the nuts.

The early UFCs were a hoot to watch. It was made pretty clear early on that all the spin and jump kicks I grew up watching on ninja turtles, karate kid, Van Damme, Double Dragon, etc, while powerful if landed and cool to watch, were mostly impractical and likely to end badly for the person attempting them against a skilled grappler. Soon after MMA was mostly distilled down to jiu jitsu, boxing and thai kickboxing.
Seems that in recent years there have been some fighters that are reincorporating some of those types of maneuvers, but they are obviously well-versed in the fundamentals. It's pretty cool when you see a well executed kick to the dome that the other guy didn't see coming beer

The current rule set in mma (UFC) favors wrestlers with striking ability. Relatively short rounds, stand ups, wrapped and gloves hands all will disadvantage a bjj based game. Demian Maia was one of the few guys who could compete at the top level using basically straight jiu jitsu in modern mma. But in order to get where he got he had to get good at wrestling.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Groundswell] #2803131
06/04/18 06:26 PM
06/04/18 06:26 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
When you say wrestlers, do you mean grapplers in general or are you differentiating greco roman with BJJ confused2 I don't disagree, although I also don't know the fundamental differences. I probably should have specified wrestling as well, but I can't say where it actually diverges from BJJ shrug
The old UFCs were also painful to watch when 2 grapplers would go into guard for 10+ minutes sleeping Hence the round format. Most disappointing fight I ever watched was Dan Severn vs Ken Shamrock- IIRC they both were too cautious to make a move for the first 15 minutes foreheadslap

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2803136
06/04/18 06:33 PM
06/04/18 06:33 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Originally Posted By: Duffy

Black belt in what?

I got a black belt in karate. Its completely worthless against any mediocre Thai boxer.

It was fun to do karate but I was totally delusional in thinking it help in a fight.

I don't think Karate is worthless, I have one in Shorin Ryu. Nothing is worthless. Mcgreggor has a Karate background and fights in a karate style stance.
and a belt is only for rank in your own dojo. A belt won't help you in real life, nobody cares or asks.
One schools blue belt may be more advanced than anothers black belt...... you have a black belt, you know this.

Last edited by jbd; 06/04/18 06:41 PM.
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: grapedrink] #2803147
06/04/18 06:41 PM
06/04/18 06:41 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
When you say wrestlers, do you mean grapplers in general or are you differentiating greco roman with BJJ confused2 I don't disagree, although I also don't know the fundamental differences. I probably should have specified wrestling as well, but I can't say where it actually diverges from BJJ shrug
The old UFCs were also painful to watch when 2 grapplers would go into guard for 10+ minutes sleeping Hence the round format. Most disappointing fight I ever watched was Dan Severn vs Ken Shamrock- IIRC they both were too cautious to make a move for the first 15 minutes foreheadslap

Yes, watching two grapplers try to rape each other for 25 minuets is boring for most people.

Ok, wrestling...

Im talking about college wrestling. A D1 college wrestler will fook you up. Theres a reason why no high level wrestlers were invited to UFC 1,2,3.

Heres why wrestling is so important to mma.

1. The way they train. Wrestlers simply train harder than anyone else in any sport anywhere. Period. They have a toughness and grit that only comes from years of grinding it out.

Train with some wrestlers if you ever get a chance. Its humbling.

2. A wrestler can determine when and if the fight goes to the ground. Even the most high level jiu jitsu practitioners will have a very hard time taking and keeping a wrestler down. Also, a striker is going to play a different game when they fear being taken down.

Now theres different styles of wresting and Im not really that knowledgeable of the intricacies of each style but basically you have college wrestling, Greco Roman (which is upper body centric) and Catch wrestling which is wrestling with submissions (cranks, locks, chokes).

Bjj is, simply put, submission wrestling in a gi. Nogi jiu jitsu is sometimes referred to as submission wrestling.

Theres also sambo (Russian combat art that includes strikes and submissions) and judo (and judo newaza).

Last edited by Duffy; 06/04/18 06:46 PM.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2803151
06/04/18 06:44 PM
06/04/18 06:44 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Im talking about college wrestling. A D1 college wrestler will fook you up. Theres a reason why no high level wrestlers were invited to UFC 1,2,3.

Yep. Always take a good look at someones ears before you fight them.

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: jbd] #2803153
06/04/18 06:46 PM
06/04/18 06:46 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: jbd

Black belt in what?

I don't think Karate is worthless, I have one in Shorin Ryu. Nothing is worthless.
and a belt is only for rank in your own dojo. A belt won't help you in real life, nobody cares or asks.
One schools blue belt may be more advanced than anothers black belt...... you have a black belt, you know this.

i've been doing shito ryu for about a year and one-half. it's really fun to be out of your comfort zone and learning something new.

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: obslop] #2803157
06/04/18 06:52 PM
06/04/18 06:52 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Originally Posted By: obslop

Black belt in what?

I don't think Karate is worthless, I have one in Shorin Ryu. Nothing is worthless.

i've been doing shito ryu for about a year and one-half. it's really fun to be out of your comfort zone and learning something new.

Best attitude to have in a dojo. You will do well. Learn as much as you can. Never ask about belts, never tell the sensei you hate kata unless you want to do kata everyday smile

Last edited by jbd; 06/04/18 06:52 PM.
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: jbd] #2803160
06/04/18 07:02 PM
06/04/18 07:02 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house

Black belt in what?

I don't think Karate is worthless, I have one in Shorin Ryu. Nothing is worthless. Mcgreggor has a Karate background and fights in a karate style stance.

I got a black belt in karate 25 years ago. I havent practiced the art for over 20. First time I got in the ring with a Thai boxer and got leg kicked I realized that my karate background wasnt going to help me. smile

Last edited by Duffy; 06/04/18 07:03 PM.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: jbd] #2803164
06/04/18 07:05 PM
06/04/18 07:05 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house

Yep. Always take a good look at someones ears before you fight them.

Yes, an unfortunate side effect of grappling. Cauliflower ears suck.

There are other signs to look for in addition to fucked up ears, but the ears are the most obvious.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2803173
06/04/18 07:20 PM
06/04/18 07:20 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G