REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 97 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 96 97
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796459
05/21/18 08:30 PM
05/21/18 08:30 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
"My goal is a simple one....helping you to see with your own eyes..."

Well, you're not doing a very good job of it.

Getting your audience lost in the weeds, when it would be easy to prove your assertion by going to the edge of the world suggests something is amiss on your part.

I can't tell if you are crazy or just trolling.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Autoprax] #2796514
05/21/18 09:32 PM
05/21/18 09:32 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted By: Autoprax
"My goal is a simple one....helping you to see with your own eyes..."

Well, you're not doing a very good job of it.

Getting your audience lost in the weeds, when it would be easy to prove your assertion by going to the edge of the world suggests something is amiss on your part.

I can't tell if you are crazy or just trolling.

If you're lost in the weeds then may I suggest taking a basic trigonometry class at your local city college? It's really basic stuff to figure out how much curve (calculate hidden height) should be present on a sphere with a radius of 3959 miles....and it's really easy to go have a look on a clear day. Around here I just go to the beach and have a look across or down the channel....so much easier and much less expensive than going to the edge of the earth. A 5th grader could likely pull it off without too much effort. You're supposedly a teacher....take a field trip with the kids and go measure it in the name of science. Don't forget teaching the physics of superior and inferior mirages...and how light behaves thru varying density mediums...and perspective...all prerequsits for this endeavor.

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
I know you've deceived me now here's a surprise...I know that you have because there's magic in my eyes. I can see for miles and miles... The Who
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796529
05/21/18 10:16 PM
05/21/18 10:16 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Why do you evade?

Why aren't people disproving it by going to the edge of the world?

That is such a simple way to disprove the conspiracy.

You want me to take a math course but you can't account for some really simple obvious things that would support your idea.

Again, why the conspiracy?

You showed me a video that said it was about disproving god.

You never answer the how.

You you want to persuade your audience this is where your gold lies.

Not telling them to take a math class. monkey

I love talking with a nut job.

Evade evade evade!

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796537
05/21/18 10:27 PM
05/21/18 10:27 PM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
Its about 260 km...

I was going to post a different response, but I think its more worth my time to just point out (again) that flat earth doesnt seem to be an exact science.

Carry on, and let Mr. Prax work out your faulty neuroception.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: tacos] #2796549
05/21/18 10:46 PM
05/21/18 10:46 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted By: tacos
Its about 260 km...

I was going to post a different response, but I think its more worth my time to just point out (again) that flat earth doesnt seem to be an exact science.

Auto seems to point out everyone's faulty neuroception....so I'm not special in that regard. Can you imagine him as your sub? "No Johnny....that's not the correct (group think) answer...you must be experiencing an extreme case of some kind of faulty neurological disorder."

Anyway....distance is easy to measure using any map tool....precision of plus/minus a half mile (as an example) makes little difference in the accuracy of the hidden height calculation (believe we've been through this before eh). When the problem is thousands of feet of missing hidden height (things that should be hidden by the horizon are well above it) what does a few hundred feet in accuracy matter?

I'll be back when I have some more evidence to share....cheers!
hat

I know you've deceived me now here's a surprise...I know that you have because there's magic in my eyes. I can see for miles and miles... The Who
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796561
05/21/18 11:13 PM
05/21/18 11:13 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Neuroception is not cognition, dummy.

You hammer the math but that is not enough.

If you are right, there is lot of other evidence beside the math formula you spam.

There is the physical evidence. You could go to the edge of the earth. Why wouldn't the flat earth guys do this?

Then are going to be the leaks in the conspiracy. Some body would have spilled the beans.

No, keep talking about the curve of the earth.

"Open your eyes!" you say.

Okay, dummy. bigdeal

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796563
05/21/18 11:15 PM
05/21/18 11:15 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
Originally Posted By: Bohter
Originally Posted By: SurfFuerte
Fuerteventura, can see gran canaria and tip of tenerife against the sunset during solstice... not really visible other times of year. not sure who that helps, but history prooves both sides will twist it to their advantage surely.

Thanks
Ok...say you were observing from El Cotillo @ 30 ft elevation...
Mount (Pico de) Teide on Tenerife is about 162 miles away...and 12,200 ft above sea level max.
On a globe with a 3959 mile radius the hidden height (should be hidden behind the horizon) should be 16,075 ft....that is...it should never be visible. Should not see Pico de las Nieves on Gran Canaria either. Yet you see 'em.
So there's that.

what globe has a radius of 3959 miles?

once i drove the furthest distance you can drive within the united states on a drive away AAA car, from jupiter, florida to ocean creek in washington state. it was just under 3500 miles by just a tad.

you mean to tell me the entire us of a is half as big as the rest of the world?

you have bigger problems than just believing in a flat earth brother.

step outside the drawn boundaries that are your country. check out a different perspective of the world.

it will probably help you clear up this flat earth confusion while you're at it too.

have fun! there's so much to see and learn out there.

roscoe jones
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796565
05/21/18 11:16 PM
05/21/18 11:16 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
p.s. also, please talk to whomever is in charge of changing the tides an hour each day and tell em to please reset this to only low tide when everyone is working? thanks!

roscoe jones
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796566
05/21/18 11:18 PM
05/21/18 11:18 PM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
Its about 260 km...

Anyway....distance is easy to measure using any map tool....precision of plus/minus a half mile (as an example) makes little difference in the accuracy of the hidden height calculation (believe we've been through this before eh). When the problem is thousands of feet of missing hidden height (things that should be hidden by the horizon are well above it) what does a few hundred feet in accuracy matter?

If its so easy, then prove it by showing me the calculation.
shrug

Half mile= thousands of feet. I think I found the missing height. monkey

Re: Distant Shores [Re: SurfFuerte] #2796579
05/21/18 11:54 PM
05/21/18 11:54 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Fuerteventura, can see gran canaria and tip of tenerife against the sunset during solstice... not really visible other times of year. not sure who that helps, but history prooves both sides will twist it to their advantage surely.

Thanks
Ok...say you were observing from El Cotillo @ 30 ft elevation...
Mount (Pico de) Teide on Tenerife is about 162 miles away...and 12,200 ft above sea level max.
On a globe with a 3959 mile radius the hidden height (should be hidden behind the horizon) should be 16,075 ft....that is...it should never be visible. Should not see Pico de las Nieves on Gran Canaria either. Yet you see 'em.
So there's that.

what globe has a radius of 3959 miles?

once i drove the furthest distance you can drive within the united states on a drive away AAA car, from jupiter, florida to ocean creek in washington state. it was just under 3500 miles by just a tad.

you mean to tell me the entire us of a is half as big as the rest of the world?

you have bigger problems than just believing in a flat earth brother.

step outside the drawn boundaries that are your country. check out a different perspective of the world.

it will probably help you clear up this flat earth confusion while you're at it too.

have fun! there's so much to see and learn out there.

OK...had to respond...
Yes...3959 miles is the earth's supposed radius...
Google it....assume you know how....or check...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
Yes...much smaller that you might have imagined....and yes, lots to see, experience and learn

Re: Distant Shores [Re: tacos] #2796590
05/22/18 12:13 AM
05/22/18 12:13 AM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Its about 260 km...

shrug

Using the Pythagorean Theorem twice -

Distance to horizon = square root of ((observer height + earth's radius)^2 - (earth's radius)^2).

Hidden height at zero elevation = square root of ((distance to object)^2 + (earth's radius)^2) - earth's radius.

If you're at higher elevation...just add the distance to the horizon at whatever observer height to the distance to object and solve for hidden....or...just use this....

https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=50&h0=45&unit=imperial

Geeez...you guys are working me.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796739
05/22/18 05:29 AM
05/22/18 05:29 AM
K
kelpcutter Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
kelpcutter  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

On your flat earth map, calculate the distance from Sydney to Cape Town. How long would it take to fly non-stop at 600 mph?

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2796824
05/22/18 01:42 PM
05/22/18 01:42 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

If you're lost in the weeds then may I suggest taking a basic trigonometry class at your local city college? It's really basic stuff to figure out how much curve (calculate hidden height) should be present on a sphere with a radius of 3959 miles....and it's really easy to go have a look on a clear day. Around here I just go to the beach and have a look across or down the channel....so much easier and much less expensive than going to the edge of the earth. A 5th grader could likely pull it off without too much effort. You're supposedly a teacher....take a field trip with the kids and go measure it in the name of science. Don't forget teaching the physics of superior and inferior mirages...and how light behaves thru varying density mediums...and perspective...all prerequsits for this endeavor.

The stuff you preach doesn't seem to apply to FEers. Geometry in school is abstract and except for Pi, very rational and doesn't talk about air densities, gravity, optical effects, human eye resolution, domes, FE style perspective, god, aliens, computer simulations, conspiracies, lasers, and unbaked psuedo-science youtube videos and all the other wacko crap spewed about this "Flat Earth". Learning geometry is only a small part of figuring out the world is spherical.

Instead of skipping lasers off reflective surfaces or bending them through differing layers of air, why don't the FEers do simpler experiments to blow the door off the round earth conspiracy like actually doing the same experiments that showed the world was round in the first place.

Get a bunch of yourselves, line up along a 3000 mile path from Cabo San Lucas to Juneau and at high noon for your location, measures the length of the shadow from a perpendicular yardstick, derive the angle using your fine highschool trig, then figure the out what shape the earth must be to have each location report that shadow length.

Shadow length would be longer the further away from the equator one is, but the length would not change in a simple way from Cabo San Lucas, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Eureka, Astoria, Seattle, Juneau, it would change faster the further north you went.

Do that experiment or get a patron to go to the edge and prove it once and for all. The world has moved on from this, you should too, or at least quit trying to 'open our eyes and save us' like a junkie alcoholic street corner preacher.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Autoprax] #2796825
05/22/18 01:44 PM
05/22/18 01:44 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Re: Distant Shores [Re: tacos] #2796826
05/22/18 01:47 PM
05/22/18 01:47 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Its about 260 km...

shrug

Half mile= thousands of feet. I think I found the missing height. monkey

Long ago someone pointed out his rounding errors, observational slop, and refraction effects over water, but he talked himself out of their importance.

Page 36 of 97 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 96 97

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32