REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2681714 - 09/05/17 08:10 AM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: Payaso]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: ex-pat Huntington Beach
I go with Doc's ProPlugs with the leash.

#2686680 - 09/19/17 12:16 PM Ear Plugs ~ Don't leave shore with out them! [Re: Payaso]
surf cat Offline
Kelly Slater status

Four decades ago Doctor Scott had his bus parked at Steamer Lane and he was checking peoples ears with a 35mm reflex camera with a fiber optic attachment that allowed him to look into surfers ears and see how much closer each ear had. I mentioned I was going for the Guinness he looked closely saw I was serious ...., he looked in my ears and comped me a pair of Dr Scott pro plugs ~ I wore them religiously with a hood/sports cap year round in a region that the water gets cold at times ~ do the math ' 98.6 subtract 48.6 = 50 degrees below body temp.
Years ago Doctor Mark "Hazard" started 'SurfDocs' as an excuse to get together with other surfdocs and surf world wide and "write it off" and write stories in SURFER.... I got Kaiser coverage through my job and met one of the original SurfDocs I had an ear infection he vacuumed my ears gave me antibiotics And he Comped me a pair of custom plugs called "Aqua Nots by Weststone" His thinking for giving me custom plugs was they where cheaper than having my ears drilled at Kaisers.

I set the Guinness record at 10,000 ,10,406 and retired daily surfing after 14 ,641 days in a row. I still surf , I still surf and wear my custom Aqua Nots with sports cap I will never have to have my ears drilled. My motto?
"Ear Plugs ~ Don't leave shore with out them" ~ feel free to quote me

#2686716 - 09/19/17 01:10 PM Re: Ear Plugs ~ Don't leave shore with out them! [Re: surf cat]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Kek Point
I had a pair of those as well.

They first so well I was scared to wear them.

#2686798 - 09/19/17 03:22 PM Re: Ear Plugs ~ Don't leave shore with out them! [Re: surf cat]
rts265 Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: surf cat
Four decades ago Doctor Scott had his bus parked at Steamer Lane and he was checking peoples ears with a 35mm reflex camera with a fiber optic attachment that allowed him to look into surfers ears and see how much closer each ear had. I mentioned I was going for the Guinness he looked closely saw I was serious ...., he looked in my ears and comped me a pair of Dr Scott pro plugs ~ I wore them religiously with a hood/sports cap year round in a region that the water gets cold at times ~ do the math ' 98.6 subtract 48.6 = 50 degrees below body temp.
Years ago Doctor Mark "Hazard" started 'SurfDocs' as an excuse to get together with other surfdocs and surf world wide and "write it off" and write stories in SURFER.... I got Kaiser coverage through my job and met one of the original SurfDocs I had an ear infection he vacuumed my ears gave me antibiotics And he Comped me a pair of custom plugs called "Aqua Nots by Weststone" His thinking for giving me custom plugs was they where cheaper than having my ears drilled at Kaisers.

I set the Guinness record at 10,000 ,10,406 and retired daily surfing after 14 ,641 days in a row. I still surf , I still surf and wear my custom Aqua Nots with sports cap I will never have to have my ears drilled. My motto?

+1

had all kinds of problems before plugs

infections every few months, bleeding

on doc said I was 98+% closed in both and would need drilling

started wearing plugs - no issues at all anymore, never had surgery

Mac's silicon for me.

#2688329 - 09/22/17 09:55 PM Re: Ear Plugs ~ Don't leave shore with out them! [Re: Payaso]
BajaBoojum Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Diego
I wore Hear-O's for 15 years, never lost one, and used them every single day. They changed too much and don't like them anymore, so I use the purple Macks. Never lost one, and they are very comfortable.

I'm 35, and have worn earplugs EVERY DAY since I was 15. Doctors still tell me "You have bad surfers ear". I can't hear worth crap, but I don't get the infections I used to get when I was a kid. So I guess that's good.

#2701842 - 10/24/17 12:50 PM Re: Ear Plugs ~ Don't leave shore with out them! [Re: surf cat]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

You retired? What!!! Congrats on your amazing achievment!

Originally Posted By: surf cat

#2703295 - 10/27/17 01:51 PM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: Payaso]
MBfreek Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: crunchy SoCal beachbreak
Early this year, I had my right ear chiseled, and it went perfectly. Much better than expected.
I was 98% closed in right and about 90% in left. ENT said we can wait a bit to do left.

Over the past 20+ years, I knew I should be wearing plugs, but I hated all the ones I tried. I have a pretty solid collection: silicone Macks, Aqua seals, foam Hear-O's, and a bunch of others. Too tight, too loose, can't hear, too sharp, fall out easy, get pushed too deep, just couldn't stand them. I have not tried the SurfEars 2.0, and at $60 a pair, I won't, either.

These are the BEST, and I use them consistently. They fit awesome, and hearing is minimally affected.
Way cheaper than Doc's and I have only lost 1 over many months. That was a gnarly wreck, so I wasn't surprised. These are about $6 a pair on Amazon. Tyr Silicone Molded Ear plugs. They come in clear or blue.

#2703948 - 10/29/17 10:13 AM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: MBfreek]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I would give those TYRs a shot, but they only come in one size shrug

Great if they fit, but one size does not fit all.

#2704765 - 10/30/17 10:44 PM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: jkb]
MBfreek Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

True, but the silicone disc 'folds' down to make the seal. How much it folds depends on the size of the canal.
Big diameter = folds a little. Small canals = folds a lot.
So it fits a wide range.

#2705123 - 10/31/17 04:16 PM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: MBfreek]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I'm actually referring to the larger part that fits your outer ear. If it's too big, I guess you could cut it to fit, but if it's too small, you're fvcked.

They are definitely a better price than Docs though.

Have you tried the Zoggs Aqua Plugs? They look like the same thing as the TYR's (similar cost too) but they have different sizes.

#2714373 - 11/22/17 12:03 AM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: Payaso]
MBfreek Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

No, haven't tried the Zoggs. The L/XL look the same.

The outer part just forms a base to reduce chance of plug being forced deep in canal. The fit there is not super important, believe it or not.

#2752571 - 02/21/18 10:25 AM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
MoreWaves Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

I don't understand how people using regular plugs and stuff like Mack's silicone putty don't blow their drums or experience ear pain in bigger than average surf.

Is there a higher risk of damaging your drums when wearing ear plugs? Never thought about that. I would guess they would be even more protected, maybe depends on the plugs.

#2788453 - 05/05/18 10:55 PM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: Payaso]
bigsurfer67 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Macks or any of the soft silicone ones work well for me.

#2788538 - 05/06/18 10:43 AM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: Payaso]
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Beast Coast
JBL Hydro Seals - keeps the water out but lets the sound in.

#2802292 - 06/02/18 08:25 AM Re: Ear plugs? [Re: Payaso]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

I still swear by properly fitting Doc's ProPlugs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32