REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: GWS] #2804208
06/06/18 03:18 PM
06/06/18 03:18 PM
_
_____ Offline
Miki Dora status
_____  Offline
Miki Dora status
_

Originally Posted By: GWS
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Of course, I'm not sure if Mick ever went back to the North Shore after that.

I said that.

roflmao

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: GWS] #2804253
06/06/18 04:28 PM
06/06/18 04:28 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:
There is a really wide variance in Karate. I'd go so far as to say 90% of what is out there is fraudulent. If you'd trained all that time in say a good Kyokushin dojo that wouldn't have been an issue.

It was legit full contact Kempo.

We used to sublet from a Kempo school in the late seventies. IMHO, it was very low power, and overly complicated. Inter style sparring tended to not end well for them. But that was a different time and place. I have no idea who you were training with.

Still lacking in so many ways at that time....

Remember the very first UFC fight? He was a Kempo guy, I met him at a tourney years later. He kicked the Sumo guys teeth out. Think his name was Keith?

Last edited by jbd; 06/06/18 04:29 PM.
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: obslop] #2804254
06/06/18 04:30 PM
06/06/18 04:30 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: obslop
full contact no pads. no thanks. i need my body to stay intact so i can hang on to my mediocre surfing skills.

When we spar now we wear boxing gloves and shin guards for MT and mma sparring gloves, pillows for mma.

We dont throw elbows (too bloody).

I can only absorb the abuse 2-3 times per month (and walk with a limp much of the rest of the time). I dont spar (striking) at all during winter (swell season).

Last edited by Duffy; 06/06/18 04:34 PM.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2804259
06/06/18 04:33 PM
06/06/18 04:33 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Originally Posted By: obslop
full contact no pads. no thanks. i need my body to stay intact so i can hang on to my mediocre surfing skills.

When we spar now we wear boxing gloves and shin guards for MT and mma sparring gloves, pillows for mma.

We dont throw elbows (too bloody).

I can only absorb the abuse 2-3 times per month. I dont spar (striking) at all during winter (swell season).

That's how we would spar right before tourneys. Otherwise the whole dojo is beat up.
I broke my senseis hand once fighting no gloves , (he caught my elbow punching my gut.)
He was pissed at my for a month. All I did is block like he taught me.
I was basically the class dummy every time he wanted to show the class something after that.
Never spar with the sensei....ha!

Last edited by jbd; 06/06/18 04:34 PM.
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: jbd] #2804264
06/06/18 04:37 PM
06/06/18 04:37 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
That's how we would spar right before tourneys. Otherwise the whole dojo is beat up.

Yeah, you just cant spar striking very often over time. Im heading back in tomorrow after a month off.

The good thing about jiu jitsu (and wrestling) is that you can go at or near 100% day in and day out.

We never go anywhere near 100% when striking.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Groundswell] #2804478
06/06/18 09:55 PM
06/06/18 09:55 PM
T
TangTonic Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
TangTonic  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

I wrestled in high school, in South Florida no less. Ever heard of Belle Glade? You know how many pro NFL players came out of that little podunk town. I wrestled a few of those guys in my day. They were scary to face on the mat.

Most intense "sport" I've ever played. Practice sucked. Christmas break sucked. Summer sucked. All we did was train, wrestle, train, run, lift, train some more. Then when its time for the match you gotta watch your weight before weigh in and all that.

But I'm grateful for what I learned. I think I still have a lot of stored in muscle memory and brain. I've been wanting to try BJJ. They just started up a school here. Curious to see how much of my wrestling would translate over.

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: jbd] #2804514
06/06/18 11:23 PM
06/06/18 11:23 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: jbd
Quote:
There is a really wide variance in Karate. I'd go so far as to say 90% of what is out there is fraudulent. If you'd trained all that time in say a good Kyokushin dojo that wouldn't have been an issue.

It was legit full contact Kempo.

We used to sublet from a Kempo school in the late seventies. IMHO, it was very low power, and overly complicated. Inter style sparring tended to not end well for them. But that was a different time and place. I have no idea who you were training with.

Still lacking in so many ways at that time....

Remember the very first UFC fight? He was a Kempo guy, I met him at a tourney years later. He kicked the Sumo guys teeth out. Think his name was Keith?

Gerard Gordeau. Dutch guy. He trained Savate (a French kickboxing style). Fought quite a bit of vale tudo in Brazil and japan as well.

He was also a karate champion at some point, I believe.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: TangTonic] #2804519
06/06/18 11:39 PM
06/06/18 11:39 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: TangTonic
I wrestled in high school, in South Florida no less. Ever heard of Belle Glade? You know how many pro NFL players came out of that little podunk town. I wrestled a few of those guys in my day. They were scary to face on the mat.

Most intense "sport" I've ever played. Practice sucked. Christmas break sucked. Summer sucked. All we did was train, wrestle, train, run, lift, train some more. Then when its time for the match you gotta watch your weight before weigh in and all that.

But I'm grateful for what I learned. I think I still have a lot of stored in muscle memory and brain. I've been wanting to try BJJ. They just started up a school here. Curious to see how much of my wrestling would translate over.

I only recently started wrestling a couple years ago (after doing jiu jitsu for several years) so I can only tell you my thoughts on wrestlers that I have done jiu jitsu against....

The good:

Even high school wrestlers who havent been on the mats in years, decades, are so obviously better than any Joe Schmo off the street with no grappling background. They just understand a lot of ground movements, have great hips, good top pressure and are hard, to very hard, to hold down. Someone with relatively recent wrestling experience is going to be very difficult to sweep and stay on top of. Its tough to get, and keep, a wrestler on his back.

The bad:

They dont know submissions and tend to come at you head first, neck exposed. Someone fighting off their back is new to them. They are very confident being on top and are easy to sub from the bottom. Guillotines all day long.

Not comfortable fighting off their backs which is a big part of jiu jitsu.

Also the gi is used as a weapon against them (mine and theirs) and provides great grips if you know what to do with them. Wrestlers have no experience in the gi. In no gi bjj that advantage is obviously taken away and wrestlers tend to favor no gi bjj.

Personally I recommend do both gi and no gi. Just train. If its no gi night, train. If its gi night train.

All in all wrestling in your background will help you immensely but in talking with the former wrestlers I train with they dont really feel like its helped them that much (but it really has).

I can tell if someone has a wrestling background within seconds of engaging with them. If theyre big and young I know Im in for a tough roll.

You should definitely do it.

Protect your neck and youre half way there already...:)

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2804529
06/06/18 11:58 PM
06/06/18 11:58 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Even high school wrestlers who havent been on the mats in years, decades, are so obviously better than any Joe Schmo off the street with no grappling background. They just understand a lot of ground movements, have great hips, good top pressure and are hard, to very hard, to hold down. Someone with relatively recent wrestling experience is going to be very difficult to sweep and stay on top of. Its tough to get, and keep, a wrestler on his back.

Stop the thread hijacking. grin

My older brother... 2nd in the state in high school... hasn't wrestled since and still holds his own (or outright owns) most people he's come up against in altercations over the years... and he's been in quite a few.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: 92122] #2804564
06/07/18 01:09 AM
06/07/18 01:09 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: 92122

My older brother... 2nd in the state in high school... hasn't wrestled since and still holds his own (or outright owns) most people he's come up against in altercations over the years... and he's been in quite a few.

Yeah, like I said earlier, wrestlers will fook you up.

Most people just arent used to being handled. Wrestlers are steeped in it.

- The Wasp
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Duffy] #2804575
06/07/18 01:36 AM
06/07/18 01:36 AM
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Originally Posted By: 92122

Yeah, like I said earlier, wrestlers will fook you up.

Most people just arent used to being handled. Wrestlers are steeped in it.

The only martial art I know is Mexican Judo.

Judo know if I have a knife and Judo know if I have a gun.

thought

\_(''/)_/

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Groundswell] #2807386
06/13/18 12:35 AM
06/13/18 12:35 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

i was just trippin out that bruce is 37 now, andy would be about to turn 40

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Groundswell] #2995137
08/10/19 07:50 PM
08/10/19 07:50 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

heres another movie:
(use the UBLOCK extension in your browser)

Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Groundswell] #2995144
08/10/19 09:11 PM
08/10/19 09:11 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

One event can last a lifetime in memories as the MC ~

[Linked Image]
photo:PPK

[Linked Image]

Kelly couldn't attend the paddleout. He was at his Brother's wedding in Florida.

[Linked Image]

Locals & visitors to Kauai's north shore turned out for Andy paddleout. Quite a memorable day at PineTree's & Hanalei Bay.
photo:PPK
rockin

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Andy Irons movie review: Kissed by God [Re: Groundswell] #2995446
08/12/19 12:57 AM
08/12/19 12:57 AM
RI
M
Margin Walker Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Margin Walker  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

RI
I think the Pine Tree's grom contest I went to turned out to be Andy's last. Still got my hat!

It's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done...
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32