REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#1012963 - 05/21/07 03:05 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: blakestah]
dk Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Leucadia
Quote:

Quote:

Memorial Day is one week away. Looks like he beat the over-under!
Quote:

Blakestah:
"Cough splat, I just spit coffee all over my computer.

I recommend after about three weeks you go to SF Surfshop every Saturday morning at 11 AM and buy John a big cup of coffee (he likes it black poured by Charlie next door). Ask him how the board is coming, he'll brush you off, but AT LEAST he will be reminded in a pleasant way that he is supposed to be working on your board. Sometimes you can check the clipboard and see where your board is in the queue (asking where you are in the queue really pens him in because you can't be 5th board one week and 10th the next). He does about 5 a week, shapes it, glasses it, the whole 9 yards.

And when your board is done, roughly midway between Memorial Day and the 4th of July, love to see a picture. "

I said 13 weeks...

He did it in 10....

There are a few possible explanations for my shoddy guesswork, but the best is that I am 3000 miles away and can't harass him constantly to prevent him from working on Doof's board.

And the picture will show up when? I am not sure I believe the board is actually done.

so u are living in georgia now? For how long?

#1012964 - 05/21/07 07:22 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
R3W Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Frisco
6 weeks of 30 knot winds does wonders for a turnaround time.

#1012965 - 05/22/07 10:51 AM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: R3W]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Not sure which image I like more.

Color?

Black&white?

Dimensions for the curious:
85 inches long (not along curve)
20.5 inches wide (wide point 2 inches ahead of center)
13 inches wide from nose
14 inches wide from tail
about 5 inches nose rocker
about 2 inches tail rocker

Talked to John Schultz about the board and John said he spoke with Rawson about it. Rawson told him that the concaves don't need to be deep but should be deepest and most narrow between the keel fins. John said it was the first one he's ever made. As far as I can tell, it is better than any of the boards I've made so far, likely better than I could have made, and frankly, I love a good experiment.

I'll start off with the 5 inch boomerang fin I used on my first Eaton bonzer from the early 90s and see where that gets me. I suspect that when I want sharper cutting turns, I'll want to use the 6.5 inch Ames fin from a Campbell Brother's bonzer.

Now, in order to ride it, all I need one of the following:
a. drop in the windspeed
b. willingness to drive to the crowded Santa Cruz area
c. desperation to build

#1012966 - 05/22/07 01:23 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
bobsurf Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Blue Oyster Bar

Well done.

#1012967 - 05/22/07 05:06 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: bobsurf]
blakestah Offline
Phil Edwards status

You've done under 10 boards. He's done 4000 and runs one of the last surf shops in California that is owned by the shaper and has a shaping room in the back.

Good on ya for supporting the local shaper.

#1012968 - 05/22/07 08:27 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
ShShSh Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Santa Barbarea
(Standing ovation)

#1012969 - 12/03/07 10:03 AM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: ShShSh]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

A few days after Thanksgiving, a random photographer got this snap of me.

When I came to shore he approached me, said he was just beginning to test out his new camera, etc, and said he'd email me a copy.

A few days later the photo below arrived.

Tide a little too high, swell has typical Beach warble and is inconsistant and dying, winds soft enough onshore to not ruin it.

Just as I made started the paddle, three guys came in, leaving me essentially alone my peak.

Anyway, here I am on my birthday board shown above.

Using the 5 inch boomrang fin (that originally was used with an Eaton Bonzer back in the 90s), I find that there is a bit of a lag between initiating a turn and making the turn...the feedback isn't so instant. So why use it? Because it is very fluid, smooth, and there is this great zing you get just past the apex of the turn.

I've dropped in a 4 inch boomerang fin and moved the leading edge back a tad just the other day. Should provide less flex and sharper, quicker turns.

Look forward to trying out a more typcal fin in a month.

As for what happened next, I am sure I karate chop posed my way into ignominity.

#1012970 - 10/20/09 02:46 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

2009 Update:

Found a few more shots of yours truly on the birthday board from Surfhumor.com back April 2009. No idea if I already whored them out already , but I had a bit of downtime at work this afternoon.

With a newly bought a new 6 inch centerfin (from the classified ads here), I found the board worked much better than with other fins I had tried.

Three shot sequence of fun spring waves and me wondering what happened after the last shot? Did the Surfhumor guy run out of bufferspace in his camera, or did I just dork out so he stopped shooting? At this point in my life, either possibility is plausible.

#1012971 - 10/20/09 03:51 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: burnsey_vi]
burnsey_vi Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Shell Beach, Ca.
Quote:

When it comes to Bonzer's the nuances are critical. I would recommend you either go to Malcolm Campbel or Mike Eaton (that's who's in the pic blakestah posted).

As to whether either of them will do a shaped blank is another story.

Absolutely - the nuances are critical and well thought. Mike & malcolm have gone different directions with the fins and the channels - both are excellent boards.

I seriously doubt that either will do a shaped blank. (I've had a few shaped blanks from malcolm and he only did that because we've know each other many years, he knew the glasser would be spot on and he trusts me.

Mr Doof - have you ever ridden the Eaton Zinger? It is the twin fin version of that. And by twin fin I mean twin fin PLUS 2 Bonzer side fins as seen here:
http://www.eatonsurf.com/Bonzer.htm

This is a mega-fun board! I think I'm gonna get another soon.

Edited by burnsey_vi (10/20/09 03:55 PM)

#1012972 - 10/20/09 04:06 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: burnsey_vi]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Quote:

Mr Doof - have you ever ridden the Eaton Zinger? It is the twin fin version of that. And by twin fin I mean twin fin PLUS 2 Bonzer side fins as seen here:
http://www.eatonsurf.com/Bonzer.htm

This is a mega-fun board! I think I'm gonna get another soon.

I used to have one.

I rode it plenty in a variety of waves...a great "all-arounder".

It died an unfortunate death when I lent it to Friend #2. He claims he rode a wave and when paddling backout, was run over. The only way he was not injured was to sacrifice my board by slipping off the side...my board was fincut to the stringer in two places, with the 3rd cut just going through the rail.

I dried it out by stripping off a bunch of glass then reglassing it, but a month later, everything started to delam. Knowing its days were numbered, I rode it with abandon (and likely at personal risk) and a few suicide shorebreak grinders later, I put the pieces in the trash. I did save the fin boxes and fins though.

#1012973 - 12/26/13 03:36 PM Photos of said 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Topping an old thread out of pure vanity, well, mostly that, but with some idea of follow-through:

Same board, same rider, same beach break, different years....and a photo from three days ago:

Shortly after this photo, my carve to the tube proved to be too lazy and I was annihilated. A shame that was not captured...the carve part, not the smashed part.

Other photos of me on this board from years past (may have posted them before, sorry):

From 2009

From 2008

Edited by Mr Doof (12/26/13 03:42 PM)

#2300505 - 01/07/15 05:59 PM Re: Photos of said 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Friend #1 just forwarded me a link to this photo from 12-31-2013 of me on the same board as above.

I kinda wonder what happened after this moment in time.

#2300583 - 01/07/15 08:36 PM Re: Photos of said 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
bsnyder Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Oceanside Ca.
Too bad no shots of him doing what Bonzers are known for.
Coming outta turns with great speed.

"Stay dusty my friend."

barrysnyderdesigns.com
@barrysnyderdesigns

#2786399 - 05/01/18 01:59 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: Mr Doof]
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: hulling, mostly...
oh yeah... the tri fin bonzer by mr doof thread!

better than a cold duff on a hot gay i tell ya!

#2786416 - 05/01/18 02:33 PM Re: 3-fin Bonzer questions [Re: SurfFuerte]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: SurfFuerte
better than a cold duff on a hot gay i tell ya!

I applaud your decision to finally come out of the closet.

monkey

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >