REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 36 of 38 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 >
View All Topics Index
#2772576 - 04/03/18 09:15 AM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Anyone have some rec's for boots? I have some old Burton Rulers and overall haev been pretty happy with them but they're pretty soft now and my left big toe pushes against the end and gets pretty damn painful. Not sure if my foot has grown or what.

I ride Cartel bindings and a 159 gnu in all mountain conditions but these days mostly just carving in trees and steep groomers.

Just thought it might be a good time to get a deal at the end of the season rather than waiting for next year.

#2772668 - 04/03/18 12:11 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status

Loc: world's largest oregon
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Anyone have some rec's for boots? I have some old Burton Rulers and overall haev been pretty happy with them but they're pretty soft now and my left big toe pushes against the end and gets pretty damn painful. Not sure if my foot has grown or what.

I ride Cartel bindings and a 159 gnu in all mountain conditions but these days mostly just carving in trees and steep groomers.

Just thought it might be a good time to get a deal at the end of the season rather than waiting for next year.

with boots (most important part of your kit), it's mostly about how they fit your foot. for this reason, it's best to be able to try on offerings from several brands that make good boots: K2, DC, Salomon, Burton & Addidas.

but in the range of what and how you like to ride check these:
K2 Maysis
Burton photon
DC Travis Rice
Adiddas Tactical

def try to find end of season 40-50% off deals!

#2772687 - 04/03/18 12:43 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: Q_Surf]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Thanks Q. I just need to find a retailer to try some on. Not exactly on every street corner in San Diego.

Much appreciated.

#2772704 - 04/03/18 01:26 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: Q_Surf]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Q_Surf
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

with boots (most important part of your kit), it's mostly about how they fit your foot. for this reason, it's best to be able to try on offerings from several brands that make good boots: K2, DC, Salomon, Burton & Addidas.

but in the range of what and how you like to ride check these:
K2 Maysis
Burton photon
DC Travis Rice
Adiddas Tactical

def try to find end of season 40-50% off deals!

Salomons when I had a pair used to be the best liners. Super cush. but their speed lacing system was annoying. I don't really look at BOA boots because all of them except Burton have the lower zone wires placed in the wrong location so as they tighten it pinches against your ankle. I still think Burton has the best designed speed lacing system. Their liners are so so first season or so. now a couple years in they're broken in and more comfortable.

#2772709 - 04/03/18 01:47 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: stu dog]
Q_Surf Offline
Duke status

Loc: world's largest oregon
Originally Posted By: stu dog
[...I still think Burton has the best designed speed lacing system...

yeah their "dual zone" works, is simple (less to fail), & quick/easy to release.

but i'm probably selling my new burton driver-x boots bc they simply don't fit my fat feet as well as K2 T1 (lace outer, boa inner).

#2772719 - 04/03/18 02:05 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

As others would say, try several brands on and buy what feels best. Its tough because they need to be almost uncomfortably tight at first to have them fit proper once they are laced tight, broken in, and riding in them. Still, you should know in-store what feels best.

I've always worn stiffer boots as I don't butter around in the park. ThirtyTwo TMTwo has been my go to for the last 10 seasons. They now have a TMtwo with a buffed out Vibram sole, and also a TMThree. Dont have anything against BOA / Quicklace, but laces have never let me down.

Back to sizing, and the difference between brands, I wear a size 11 in pretty much everything, street shoes, MX Boots, Surf Booties, etc. but I have always worn a size 12 ThirtyTwo TMTwo Snowboard boot and never had any issues with the comfort or fit from brand new to 50+ days on them.

#2780477 - 04/18/18 07:05 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Skied Mammoth this weekend and it was fun, but a mixed bag. I skied chair 9 in the morning for slushy turns then skied the noids in the afternoon. The noids softened up a bit, but were still quite firm up high. The first couple of turns were interesting, then it would soften up and get fun. Sunday I just lapped chair 9 until 1 and left before the weather came in. The coverage up high is great, it should be a fun April and May. I'm not sure how much they got with the storm.

#2780495 - 04/18/18 07:25 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: dl4060
Skied Mammoth this weekend and it was fun, but a mixed bag. I skied chair 9 in the morning for slushy turns then skied the noids in the afternoon. The noids softened up a bit, but were still quite firm up high. The first couple of turns were interesting, then it would soften up and get fun. Sunday I just lapped chair 9 until 1 and left before the weather came in. The coverage up high is great, it should be a fun April and May. I'm not sure how much they got with the storm.

Nice. Heading up this weekend.

Russ Meyer

#2780854 - 04/19/18 11:31 AM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: Kento]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Kento

Should be fun. The lower mountain will probably be sticky, but it is supposed to be in the mid-50's so the upper mountain should be slushy and fun. I love the noids in slush. Make sure to wax.

#2780910 - 04/19/18 12:35 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Make sure to wax.

has to be warm wax. cool will rip off after one run in the slush, trust me. even rub on wax doesn't last long in the spring.

#2780962 - 04/19/18 01:32 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
r32 Offline

Tom Curren status

Loc: Cambria
Did someone mention 32?

#2780973 - 04/19/18 01:43 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: Kento

Should be fun. The lower mountain will probably be sticky, but it is supposed to be in the mid-50's so the upper mountain should be slushy and fun. I love the noids in slush. Make sure to wax.

The Noids were on my mind. shaka

It's been a few trips since last had board waxed and edges tuned. Oh well.

Russ Meyer

#2780986 - 04/19/18 02:09 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: r32]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: r32
Did someone mention 32?

their liners pinched my ankles when trying on in the store. didn't like them.

#2781031 - 04/19/18 03:35 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: stu dog]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: stu dog
Make sure to wax.

has to be warm wax. cool will rip off after one run in the slush, trust me. even rub on wax doesn't last long in the spring.

It definitely does. I used purple wax for the spring when I lived in Tahoe. I use the rub on stuff too, but you have to apply that several times a day.

#2783004 - 04/23/18 03:09 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2017-2018 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
We had our mountain's annual 'snow surfing' party a week ago, put on by Gerry Lopez on 'waves' crafted by the Mt. Bachelor park crew. It's a super fun event that always brings out a bunch of the northwest's top snowboarders as well as a few surfers (JOB showed up this year). I couldn't 'compete' for the second year in a row but it was super fun seeing so many friends in one place and watching everyone 'surf'. My 13 year old crushed it and found the podium in the 16 and under 'keiki' division with a nice mix of speed and style.

Here's an edit Lib Tech made of the event. My kid (red gloves, grey aloha shirt) is spaying the judges at 3:00 in. Good times!

2108 Gerry Lopez Big Wave Challenge from Lib Tech on Vimeo.

Page 36 of 38 < 1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32