REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2778094 - 04/13/18 10:09 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: the janitor]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: the janitor
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Also, I’d skip Sonoma and do a wine tasting day trip out of SB in Santa Ynez. There are all levels of tours running out of SB from private limo to cattle bus. No need to drive plus world class wineries.

I'll say explore both areas. Both had crazy fires recently and can use all the tourist business they can get

Also, I see your dates in SF coincide with a weekend. While you're on a walking tour with Doof, perhaps stop by this place for a bit on Friday or Saturday night: http://www.churchof8wheels.com/ a roller disco inside a former Catholic Church

dancing Haha! Checked the YouTube video of that roller disco. Looks like a bunch of nerds...

#2778110 - 04/13/18 10:34 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your mom’s house
Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Also, I’d skip Sonoma and do a wine tasting day trip out of SB in Santa Ynez. There are all levels of tours running out of SB from private limo to cattle bus. No need to drive plus world class wineries.

Good call! Just looked into Santa Ynez. Looks great, and it means more time in one area, so that's perfect. I like the sound of the bike and wine-taste tours.

Btw, you will not get any surf in Santa Barbara in June. It’s just not going to happen. So drink up and shop with the wife.

Edited by Duffy (04/13/18 10:34 PM)

- The Wasp

#2778211 - 04/14/18 07:07 AM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Duffy]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: Goodfish

Good call! Just looked into Santa Ynez. Looks great, and it means more time in one area, so that's perfect. I like the sound of the bike and wine-taste tours.

Btw, you will not get any surf in Santa Barbara in June. It’s just not going to happen. So drink up and shop with the wife.

What are you talking about!?!? I'm gonna get a 12 second drainer at Sandspit!

#2778212 - 04/14/18 07:10 AM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

So far we've booked our places in San Francisco, Carmel and Big Sur. Next stop is a choice between San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cayucos or Pismo Beach. What do you good people think? Looking for a cheaper alternative after spending a bit more than planned in Carmel and Big Sur...

#2778244 - 04/14/18 09:24 AM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your mom’s house
Quote:
What are you talking about!?!? I'm gonna get a 12 second drainer at Sandspit!

Well, this one happened in the summer time. The best part of this wave (the beginning section) isn’t even in the video....

- The Wasp

#2778253 - 04/14/18 10:00 AM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

That's basically what I'm expecting: 12 second+ drainer, no drop-ins, applause from the beach as I kick out.

#2778410 - 04/14/18 03:10 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
i stayed here a lot when i was up that way:

https://www.spyglassinn.com/

here's a nice breakfast place close to the hotel:

http://www.shellbeachinn.com/seaside-cafe-bakery/

san luis obispo is nice for a day visit or eating out at night but i don't think you need to actually stay in the town. the above hotel is in shell beach which is a cool little nook in the coast directly above pismo.

also, you'll want to walk over to the restaurant/bar for this place for happy hour and get a light dinner or appetizers with drinks while you watch the sunset with your wife:

http://www.cliffsresort.com/

no reason to stay in pismo itself. pismo has a bit of that meth meets beach thing going on.

Edited by obslop (04/14/18 03:18 PM)

#2778962 - 04/15/18 11:26 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: obslop]
StinkinHippie Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

The inn at morro bay.

#2779572 - 04/17/18 09:30 AM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

OK, guys...I'm almost there. Booked most of the places along the way, but I'm having trouble with Santa Barbara. Is it worth stopping here for a 2 nights? It's seems to be one of the most expensive places to stay in all of California! However, Kimpton Goodland looks amazing, and it's tempting me, but 2 nights are almost the cost of a new XTR! jam_on

This is my current itinerary with * denoting if I've booked a place:

*SF - 3 nights
*Carmel - 1 night
*Big Sur - 1 night
*Morro Bay - 1 night
Santa Barbara or alternative - 2 nights
Palm Springs - 1 night (cheap place to stay after a trip to those shopping outlets in Cabazon)
*Huntington - 2 nights
*Encinitas - 2 nights
*Santa Monica - 2 nights

Booked a mix of nice-looking airbnbs, a mid-range hotel in SF, one of your recommendations in Carmel, Big Sur River Inn and Surfhouse Boutique Motel (lol) in Encinitas. I can cancel some of these places if any of you have better alternatives!

I must say what I get for the price of the accommodation is a bit of a shock after spending the last 8 summers in Indo! Rupiah goes a long, long way! wave2

#2779728 - 04/17/18 01:17 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The OC
Sounds fun but you should skip Santa Barbara, or maybe spend only one day there, max. If you want to maximize surfing, don't end up in the Santa Barbara zone. I'd short Santa Monica too, although you can surf Malibu and the North LA region.

Figure out a way to spend more time in Santa Cruz and Orange County.

#2779733 - 04/17/18 01:26 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: J_D_J]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: J_D_J

Figure out a way to spend more time in ... Orange County.

I have never heard anyone say that before. shocked2

#2779767 - 04/17/18 02:02 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: rice]
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The OC
Originally Posted By: rice
Originally Posted By: J_D_J

Figure out a way to spend more time in ... Orange County.

I have never heard anyone say that before. shocked2

Lol. Well, I'm only talking about maximizing surfing in June. Should have included that caveat.

#2779792 - 04/17/18 02:23 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: J_D_J]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
smile2

#2779911 - 04/17/18 06:24 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

It's a surf at sunrise and maybe before sunset kinda trip. Got the gf with me, so we plan on doing other things during the day.I had to let her choose some spots too - Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Santa Monica...

#2779941 - 04/17/18 07:29 PM Re: California Road Trip... [Re: Goodfish]
grapedrink Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: A Beach
Stay in Carpinteria over Santa Barbara if you can. Way more of a true beach community, but close enough to SB if needed shrug beer

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32