REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Durability of different constructions #2774602
04/07/18 08:54 AM
04/07/18 08:54 AM
H
Hopeless Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

Hi all, we keep hearing about these newfangled ways of making surfboards and it looks like it is 95% marketing spin. What I thought was... how durable was your board made of construction type "x"? How did you like it?

I'll go first:
*PU/PE: great results when using 45 degree glassing and a decent quality blank. Can last me up to 2 years.

*EPS/Epoxy stringered: had lots of these. Most have held up for a few years (2-3) and had decent pop for quite a while. Harder to ding, but definitely had big foot wells after a couple of years. Corky and chattery over head high when it's not glassy.

*Future/Fibre Flex: (what's it even called these days?): Tried a few new ones from awayco. They seemed to dent very easily on the deck. A couple of surfs equalled decent foot wells beginning. Thought they surfed ok, a bit corky and weird though I didn't give it much time. Similar corkyness and chatter to stringered EPS/Epoxy

* Carbon wrap: Tried one for two surfs in small waves (RNF redux). Didn't like the board and the board didn't feel that durable. Easy to dent. Didn't notice the supposed "spring" the marketing spin goes on about.

* PU/epoxy: probably the best of both worlds for me. I've had one of these boards for nearly 2 years which was a year old when I got it. A HS Merlot. Sure it's yellowed but it is durable and still has some pop. No issues over head high with chatter.

What's your experiences?

Last edited by Hopeless; 04/07/18 08:57 AM.
Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774603
04/07/18 09:43 AM
04/07/18 09:43 AM
S
shaheeb Offline
Grom
shaheeb  Offline
Grom
S

been ordering PU/Epoxy with great results. Favorite construction so far, slight nuanced difference from PU/PE, boards are pretty light, stay white for about a year.

2lb eps stringered bort/ epoxy - dont really like the quirky bouyant feel of the stringerd eps

Just picked up PYzel electralite stringerless eps blank crabon for strengt- this bort is superlite... we'll see

want to try - eps with harder density(PU?) stringer from Minami or Tokoro

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774623
04/07/18 12:37 PM
04/07/18 12:37 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
I've got a very early Jim Phillips triple stringer longboard made in New Jersey when he was first starting out. Center stringer is one inch wide and the two outer striners are each 1/2 inch wide. Not sure what its glassed with but guessing its 10 or 12 oz cloth. Thing would kill you if it ever ran you over. It doesn't get any more durable than that. Hard to argue with a board that is already well over 50 years old and is still going.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774640
04/07/18 01:34 PM
04/07/18 01:34 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

Craftsman made board will have different results compared to production line stuff

I prefer light pu pe. Made by people who care . have quite a few that are years old and still ride great have no dings and lots of life left in them

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774658
04/07/18 02:57 PM
04/07/18 02:57 PM
NJ
M
MrSteve Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrSteve  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

NJ
Coil is tops in construction by far. Good flex, excellent durability.

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774661
04/07/18 03:03 PM
04/07/18 03:03 PM
D
DroppingOn Offline
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline
Nep status
D

Poly... Depends on the shaper. Had some great Mayhems. They are the strongest for me by a wide margin. CI, DHD, and Pyzel I've had some very light glass jobs even in 4 x 4 x 4. Had insane footwells in my poly Stubby Bastard. DHD DX1 had crazy shatters all over the deck. CIs are notoriously weak.

Carbon/EPS highly marketed thingers:

Lost carbon wrap - Good strength and pop. They get compressions and footwells on either side of the deck carbon but very ding resistant.

Firewire FST - strong as all hell but feel like shit. Deck is way too hard.

Firewire LFT - as bad as a bad poly but feels good under foot

JS Hyfi - weak as shit and bad quality control

DHD epoxicore - dents like a mofo and just... weird

HS futureflex - deck gets destroyed really fast if you're heavy footed. Also creased mine pretty badly. Feels pretty good surfing quite fast.

HS pu/pe - hypto did not feel nearly as good in this construction maybe a shortboard would. Wasn't stronger shattered like crazy

Hydroflex - A bit of deck caving after a ton of use but I had a SS2 that went so sick in this construction. Not talked about enough very strong and great feel.

Stretch CFT - Good weight- not overly light or heavy. STRONG as all hell. Feels like a PU when surfing. The best bang for your buck IMO.

Last edited by DroppingOn; 04/07/18 04:31 PM.
Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774677
04/07/18 03:44 PM
04/07/18 03:44 PM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

vacuum bagged eps epoxy aerospace tech via coil is most durable.

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774679
04/07/18 03:45 PM
04/07/18 03:45 PM
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

pu/pe us blanks red s-cloth watermans 4 oz dbl deck n single bottom. bulketproof so far on 3 parmenters. dont discount ww2 aerospace tech lolz

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774694
04/07/18 04:20 PM
04/07/18 04:20 PM
N
nimby Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
nimby  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

Stretch dialed in bombproof construction long ago.

Rusty favors PU foam under epoxy for max durability.

My quiver all single 4 oz bottoms, double 4 decks, all S cloth, have the glasser 'pull' the cloth dry (excess resin weakens the cloth fibers), and wrap the lap lines a bit xtra long = lightweight, solid construction.

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: nimby] #2774715
04/07/18 04:32 PM
04/07/18 04:32 PM
D
DroppingOn Offline
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline
Nep status
D

Originally Posted By: nimby

My quiver all single 4 oz bottoms, double 4 decks, all S cloth, have the glasser 'pull' the cloth dry (excess resin weakens the cloth fibers), and wrap the lap lines a bit xtra long = lightweight, solid construction.

Somehow forgot Stretch (2 of my 5 boards are Stretch) and it is definitely the best balance of strength and performance. I have a 2x4 and Quadfish in CFT. They feel like PU but are bombproof. No weird epoxy bounce. So good.

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: DroppingOn] #2774791
04/07/18 06:16 PM
04/07/18 06:16 PM
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted By: DroppingOn
Originally Posted By: nimby

Somehow forgot Stretch (2 of my 5 boards are Stretch) and it is definitely the best balance of strength and performance. I have a 2x4 and Quadfish in CFT. They feel like PU but are bombproof. No weird epoxy bounce. So good.

i need to try a stretch. xtrs have been bulletproof for me as long as they have a stringer. xtr 7.c ftw. lasts twice as long as pupe but similar feel

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774803
04/07/18 06:29 PM
04/07/18 06:29 PM
Australia
Z
Zander Offline
Nep status
Zander  Offline
Nep status
Z

Australia
- Stretch Legacy is hands down the strongest construction out there. It costs a lot and surfs great especially in large, choppy conditions.

- Stringered EPS is very good but not near as good as the stretch stuff.

- Firewire FST used to bombproof but the Asian made ones are hit or miss with durability

- XTR is the second best to stretch although i havent had one in a while.

- a well glassed PU board can be great too

my friends HyFi is very durable, Other friends LFT tomo was crap for durability. About the same as a poorly glassed PU. He gets custom pyzels with poly and S glass now

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774930
04/07/18 10:19 PM
04/07/18 10:19 PM
H
Hopeless Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

For those of you who get boards from shapers who outsource the glassing, how do you manage that?

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774946
04/07/18 10:45 PM
04/07/18 10:45 PM
N
nimby Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
nimby  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

Originally Posted By: Hopeless
For those of you who get boards from shapers who outsource the glassing, how do you manage that?

that's always an issue. Even when you make it clear with the shaper exactly what glass job you want, the moment he hands that board over to the contract shop, it is out of his control. So best to make sure it is going to a glass shop with a good rep, be willing to pay top price, and be willing to wait because the best contract shops are always backed up.

Re: Durability of different constructions [Re: Hopeless] #2774992
04/08/18 02:16 AM
04/08/18 02:16 AM
H
Havoc4k Online content
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted By: Hopeless
one does shaping n glassing in house. other gets it done at one of best shops in the world they hav close relationship with

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5