REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2773425 - 04/04/18 06:16 PM Re: Thoughts on Stab Magazine "How to build an indestructible tube shooter" [Re: Greg Griffin]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
There was a Cole with rail channels at T&C around 1999 that was made for Andy .

Thats all I know , other than where to put my fins . wave2

The inward placed rear 4 fins common on Coles may have come from him being a polisher in the early 80's at Hobie .

I surfed with the Hobie team captain around 1983 and his were set that way to give them more of a thruster feel .

McKee seems have gotten credit for this type of placement .

I like that quad setup. My personal preference is that instead of having quad rears placed near the rail Id just ride it as a twin fin. I like boards made for quad rears in the McKee configuration.

Btw, the twin keels on my fish are Hobies made by True Ames.

- The Wasp

#2773428 - 04/04/18 06:20 PM Re: Thoughts on Stab Magazine "How to build an indestructible tube shooter" [Re: nimby]
20W-50 and blood Online   mad
Duke status

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: nimby
Due to my utter hatred of physics Im unable to explain how or why, but something about those deep, Stretch-style rail gutters make a board significantly less likely to break.

COLE

the glassed in channels create an I-beam that provides additional cross sectional folding resistance.

not to sound like some kind of swaylocks dbag...and not dissing rail channels at all (they pretty!)....but wouldn't the i-beam effect ONLY strengthen the board if the impact is coming from the apex of the channel's depth (something impacting the bottom of the board) and NOT an impact coming from the opposite side (the board's deck)?

#2773561 - 04/05/18 02:48 AM Re: Thoughts on Stab Magazine "How to build an indestructible tube shooter" [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted By: surfy1476
At 6'10" I imagine that the glass wouldn't be that bad but at 8'6" it amounts to a ton of swing weight and overall weight. Makes for not very smooth rail to rail transitions and sloppy carves.

roflmao

cheers

8'6" = there's a ton of brown smelly overall weight swinging around my undies.

Well yeah, thats why I went with an 8'6"

#2773585 - 04/05/18 08:13 AM Re: Thoughts on Stab Magazine "How to build an indestructible tube shooter" [Re: 20W-50 and blood]
Spinafex Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: 20W-50 and blood
Originally Posted By: nimby
Due to my utter hatred of physics Im unable to explain how or why, but something about those deep, Stretch-style rail gutters make a board significantly less likely to break.

COLE

the glassed in channels create an I-beam that provides additional cross sectional folding resistance.

not to sound like some kind of swaylocks dbag...and not dissing rail channels at all (they pretty!)....but wouldn't the i-beam effect ONLY strengthen the board if the impact is coming from the apex of the channel's depth (something impacting the bottom of the board) and NOT an impact coming from the opposite side (the board's deck)?
No it doesn't matter what side the force is coming from. Its the same principle as roofing iron - you've got material that has more cross sectional depth. Channels would do the same thing on the bottom.

Edited by Spinafex (04/05/18 08:18 AM)

#2773587 - 04/05/18 08:16 AM Re: Thoughts on Stab Magazine "How to build an indestructible tube shooter" [Re: nagual]
Spinafex Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: nagual
white carbon is a joke. if its dyneema, call it dyneema not white carbon just because some limited people still dont know that carbon is just and only black.

I stopped reading when I saw that bit - if you don't know that carbon fibre is black you've got no business writing about surfboard construction.

#2773590 - 04/05/18 08:30 AM Re: Thoughts on Stab Magazine "How to build an indestructible tube shooter" [Re: CCKeith]
retodd Offline
Duke status

Nathan wanted them

Stretch was doing them a long time prior to that , pretty sure Greg Loher taught him

Any who ,,,, I will take lighter glassing and a heavy blank any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3