REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 222 of 258 1 2 220 221 222 223 224 257 258
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: obslop] #2762554
03/13/18 02:49 PM
03/13/18 02:49 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: obslop
appreciate the input; evo sounds like the better option for the usually gutless beach break i surf.

one more question - do you size the evo volume wise below what you would normally ride? so if 27 is my usual volume in a grovel board drop down closer to 26? i'm 160-165 and thinking the stock 5'2" on the XTR site at around 26.3L is probably right.

I have messed around a lot with liters on an Evo. I bought one of JKBs old evos with 22.9 L, and I currently own a 51 FireWire Evo with 24.5 L and Ive even ridden a 52 FW EVO with 25.7L. Im 145 lbs. 56.

The evo went really good in all sizes for me! But when the waves are really small it was hard to paddle that 22.9L boards, So I went up, and up, until I found a comfortable volume for really small days, and I settled on the 51 Evo. I am thinking about getting a FireWire 52 Evo for when the waves are really really small (longboard waves). I think the downside of going up in volume on the Ev0 is the rails are harder to turn. The evo already has the on top of the water sensation so when you over volume that board it gets even harder to get a rail in the water to do a turn. But its a lot of fun fun when you have a little more volume (and the waves are small). I would go with the higher side of the volume (for cruising and speed in small days) or with your normal volume (for a normal grovelor that you can turn and use as a daily driver).

Never ridden the GMM2 but JKB raves about it. I think that might be my next board.

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2763713
03/15/18 03:42 AM
03/15/18 03:42 AM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Gmm2 is a winner. Going to order another one. Cyber sim was awesome too

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2763760
03/15/18 08:15 AM
03/15/18 08:15 AM
S
sakana_kid Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sakana_kid  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

The cyber sim I had was horrible. I tried it in 3 different fin configurations and different types of waves and sold it. I had a custom v3 before that and it worked a lot better, but I had Dan make it too wide so it was a little corky.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Havoc4k] #2763879
03/15/18 04:45 PM
03/15/18 04:45 PM
San Diego, CA
O
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Oeste858  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k

Havoc4k- I am loving the one I got from you. My GMM1.5 was the same volume but did not have the Evo channel all the way up the bottom, and GMM2 feels like a different board because of it. Thanks!

Deforest- I would think of it as a cousin to a Mini Simmons, but souped up with Evo elements. Check out this clip of the GMM being surfed with pure style, speed and flow:
https://instagram.com/p/BPqczzMhWA-/

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest] #2763884
03/15/18 04:57 PM
03/15/18 04:57 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: deforest
appreciate the input; evo sounds like the better option for the usually gutless beach break i surf.

one more question - do you size the evo volume wise below what you would normally ride? so if 27 is my usual volume in a grovel board drop down closer to 26? i'm 160-165 and thinking the stock 5'2" on the XTR site at around 26.3L is probably right.

I have messed around a lot with liters on an Evo. I bought one of JKBs old evos with 22.9 L, and I currently own a 51 FireWire Evo with 24.5 L and Ive even ridden a 52 FW EVO with 25.7L. Im 145 lbs. 56.

The evo went really good in all sizes for me! But when the waves are really small it was hard to paddle that 22.9L boards, So I went up, and up, until I found a comfortable volume for really small days, and I settled on the 51 Evo. I am thinking about getting a FireWire 52 Evo for when the waves are really really small (longboard waves). I think the downside of going up in volume on the Ev0 is the rails are harder to turn. The evo already has the on top of the water sensation so when you over volume that board it gets even harder to get a rail in the water to do a turn. But its a lot of fun fun when you have a little more volume (and the waves are small). I would go with the higher side of the volume (for cruising and speed in small days) or with your normal volume (for a normal grovelor that you can turn and use as a daily driver).

Never ridden the GMM2 but JKB raves about it. I think that might be my next board.

i experienced something similar with the von sol manta; started with a 5'2" and it was really fun but too "on top of the water" to really engage the rail with force so dropped to a 5'0" razyer which is very similar template but with twinzer set-up. i give up some of the uber grovel but in halfway decent waist high waves it flies and i can throw it around with more commitment.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: obslop] #2763893
03/15/18 05:09 PM
03/15/18 05:09 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California

i experienced something similar with the von sol manta; started with a 5'2" and it was really fun but too "on top of the water" to really engage the rail with force so dropped to a 5'0" razyer which is very similar template but with twinzer set-up. i give up some of the uber grovel but in halfway decent waist high waves it flies and i can throw it around with more commitment.

I've heard lots of good things about the Von Sol Manta and Von Sol in general.

Last edited by deforest; 03/15/18 05:11 PM.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Oeste858] #2763897
03/15/18 05:14 PM
03/15/18 05:14 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: Oeste858

Havoc4k- I am loving the one I got from you. My GMM1.5 was the same volume but did not have the Evo channel all the way up the bottom, and GMM2 feels like a different board because of it. Thanks!

Deforest- I would think of it as a cousin to a Mini Simmons, but souped up with Evo elements. Check out this clip of the GMM being surfed with pure style, speed and flow:

DUDE!! That video was rad.
The GMM2 looks super smooth! JKB has said the rocker template is awesome! I'm really keen to try that board! I wonder why Tomo never really marketed that board? Looks like a rad design!

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2765267
03/19/18 06:06 AM
03/19/18 06:06 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Oeste858] #2765283
03/19/18 07:28 AM
03/19/18 07:28 AM
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted By: Oeste858

cheers

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2768649
03/25/18 12:41 AM
03/25/18 12:41 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Going for another XTR custom Tomo. Those things are just soooooooo much better than the Firewire builds. Just trying to decide whether to go for a Cymatic or an SP2. I've already got a 5'5 Vader and a 5'4 Evo, so there's gonna be a lot of overlap. I usually use the Vader when it's head-high and over, and the Evo when it's under that. Any advice?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2768713
03/25/18 04:01 AM
03/25/18 04:01 AM
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

i have 2 sp2s and theyre epic. will order nother gmm2 soon and also an skx. u surf goodvwaves compared to a lot of us. sp2 is pretty magic

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Goodfish] #2768726
03/25/18 05:22 AM
03/25/18 05:22 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Going for another XTR custom Tomo. Those things are just soooooooo much better than the Firewire builds. Just trying to decide whether to go for a Cymatic or an SP2. I've already got a 5'5 Vader and a 5'4 Evo, so there's gonna be a lot of overlap. I usually use the Vader when it's head-high and over, and the Evo when it's under that. Any advice?

Ya know... I was a huge fan of the SP2. Ive talked about it a lot and messaged tomo about it a lot. I was so sad when I heard it was supposed it be discontinued from XTR (which turns out you can still order it), but after riding the Cymatic Im at a loss. The Cymatic is so INSANE! The rocker is perfect! The rails are perfect! Everything about it feels so good! It feels noticeably faster than the SP2. It has a more narrow tail and the nose is more pulled in as well. Its almost a totoally different board. The channels on the Cymatic stop at the middle of the board but the channels in the SP2 go all the way to the nose. It has a completely different rocker too. Ive ridden a ton of Tomos designs and this one and the el tomo have really stood out to me! I have no desire to surf any other board than the Cymatic. I made a small little edit with some waves from 2 days last week. My surfing sucks (haha) but you can really see the speed of the board on the last 2 waves.

I would say get the Cymatic Dan! You wont regret it! Sincerely.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Havoc4k] #2768741
03/25/18 09:59 AM
03/25/18 09:59 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

i have 2 sp2s and theyre epic. will order nother gmm2 soon and also an skx. u surf goodvwaves compared to a lot of us. sp2 is pretty magic

Haha, I only post photos of the good days. We get our fair share of slop too. Although the next week is looking epic, and I've got 2 weeks off work! Yew!

Ya know... I was a huge fan of the SP2. Ive talked about it a lot and messaged tomo about it a lot. I was so sad when I heard it was supposed it be discontinued from XTR (which turns out you can still order it), but after riding the Cymatic Im at a loss. The Cymatic is so INSANE! The rocker is perfect! The rails are perfect! Everything about it feels so good! It feels noticeably faster than the SP2. It has a more narrow tail and the nose is more pulled in as well. Its almost a totoally different board. The channels on the Cymatic stop at the middle of the board but the channels in the SP2 go all the way to the nose. It has a completely different rocker too. Ive ridden a ton of Tomos designs and this one and the el tomo have really stood out to me! I have no desire to surf any other board than the Cymatic. I made a small little edit with some waves from 2 days last week. My surfing sucks (haha) but you can really see the speed of the board on the last 2 waves.

Good to know! Is your Cymatic in XTR or FW? I used to love FWs long time, but I really haven't been impressed with LFT. XTR seems much more durable.

You see that Japanese dude on Instagram's Vader-nosed SP2?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Goodfish] #2768802
03/25/18 03:24 PM
03/25/18 03:24 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck

Haha, I only post photos of the good days. We get our fair share of slop too. Although the next week is looking epic, and I've got 2 weeks off work! Yew!

Good to know! Is your Cymatic in XTR or FW? I used to love FWs long time, but I really haven't been impressed with LFT. XTR seems much more durable.

Cymatic is Firewire only.

You'd have to go with an SP2 if you want XTR.

I owned one of those Vader nosed SP2s a long time ago. That's actually the original sci-phi that all the other sci-phis were based off of. It was a great board for peaky beach break, but not the fastest mph design I've surfed. I ended up liking the Deathstar better.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Goodfish] #2768881
03/25/18 06:12 PM
03/25/18 06:12 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California

Yeah I saw it. Thats the OG sci phi. I heard it went insane. JKB was the first person I ever saw that owned one.
FW isnt that bad. They are constantly evolving their construction and I think they are getting better each year. I think the new Cymatic is the lightest LFT Ive ever felt. Im not quite sold on the helium tech but its cool how open minded they are to materials.

SP2 is still a great board. But Im all over this Cymatic.

JKB you u should demo a 53 Cymatic. Id be curious to hear your feedback.

Page 222 of 258 1 2 220 221 222 223 224 257 258