REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2764016 - 03/15/18 04:07 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: afoaf]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: afoaf
by your own metrics, Whites own guns at a rate 100% higher than hispanics
and 50% higher than blacks.

weird, right?

consider that in relation to the crux of the post:

"people at the highest level of their scale—the ones who felt most emotionally
and morally attached to their guns—were 78 percent white and 65 percent male.
"

Uhh, whites comprise 63% of the population, so most of the "most attached" should be white. 78% is an overrepresentation relative to the entire population, but IRL shooting is a hobby that isn't real diverse. Have we adjusted for hunting and related activities, because that's an angle, too.

Rifles and shotguns together comprise almost 45% of retail gun sales (in California, anyway) but account for ~7% of all murders by guns on the nationwide basis.

#2764021 - 03/15/18 04:14 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: GDaddy]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

Quote:
whites comprise 63% of the population, so most of the "most attached" should be white.

I don't know what the margin of error was, but Blacks are 13% and Hispanics 17% of genpop
which still seems to skew white (and male)

#2764022 - 03/15/18 04:17 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: JEwing]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
The subject is why whitey owns guns.

huWHAT?

Originally Posted By: JEwing
Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns?

YYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

#2764024 - 03/15/18 04:20 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: afoaf]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Quote:
whites comprise 63% of the population, so most of the "most attached" should be white.

I don't know what the margin of error was, but Blacks are 13% and Hispanics 17% of genpop
which still seems to skew white (and male)

Would you guess that someone who actually uses guns to hunt might fit into "most attached" category for that reason?

#2764025 - 03/15/18 04:22 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: Kento]
Autoprax Offline
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: Kento
So basically the same reason for lifted pickup trucks. beer

microphallus?

#2764026 - 03/15/18 04:24 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: frvcvs]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Is it ok to start writing articles about how so many black women spend their meager earnings on luxury goods?

Nah, that would be sexist and racist

#2764027 - 03/15/18 04:25 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: GDaddy]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

your premise is that the racial mix in sporthunting explains the deviation from general population distribution?

I guess that makes some sense.

#2764030 - 03/15/18 04:26 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: sizzld1]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Pew says Blacks and Hispanics own guns, too. I wonder what their excuse is?

Did you even read op's post? If so, why aren't you responding to its topic? No one is saying white people are the only one who own guns or care for them. socrazy

And the study was done by Baylor University, hardly a bastion of liberal thought...

Yes, I’m sure he read the OPs post. Sounds like you didn’t.

The conclusion is more of the same BS that derrr white men be scared of losing they POWER! We comin up!

#2764031 - 03/15/18 04:31 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: frvcvs]
mundus Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Ifail, whiteknighting for whites, what a surprise.

#2764034 - 03/15/18 04:34 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: afoaf]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

your premise is that the racial mix in sporthunting explains the deviation from general population distribution?

I guess that makes some sense.

I wouldn't say it comes anywhere close to accounting for the deviation, but I'll bet it is of some effect. 63% of the population produces 78% of the most attached is a definite over representation.

The other thing that comes to mind is the obvious male/female split in most attached - is that split the same among all 3 groups? Maybe so, maybe not.

#2764037 - 03/15/18 04:35 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: ifallalot]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Pew says Blacks and Hispanics own guns, too. I wonder what their excuse is?

Did you even read op's post? If so, why aren't you responding to its topic? No one is saying white people are the only one who own guns or care for them. socrazy

And the study was done by Baylor University, hardly a bastion of liberal thought...

Yes, I’m sure he read the OPs post. Sounds like you didn’t.

The conclusion is more of the same BS that derrr white men be scared of losing they POWER! We comin up!

Isn't that why The Proud Boys exist? trout

Sorry man but, like Subway's PayPal cruise and SmackDaddy's corn cob pipe, you're never gonna live that down. drowning

Russ Meyer

#2764044 - 03/15/18 04:49 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: frvcvs]
StuAzole Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

as we've always known (from the article):

"This wasn’t about familiarity with real-world guns—gun ownership and experience did not affect results. Instead, conservative attachment to guns was based entirely on ideology and emotions."

FEELZ!

And FWIW, GDaddy's statistical analysis is funny. Post something that shows whites own guns at a rate far higher than blacks and hispanics, and then point out that the white population in the US is proportionally far lower than the their representation in the "gun stockpilers" column, but then somehow suggest the Article is hokum.

FEELZ!

#2764045 - 03/15/18 04:52 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: frvcvs]
GromsDad Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Silly study.

Are they stockpiling or simply accumulating? Its a subtle difference but a difference none the less.

How does this study factor multi generational inheritance of guns like has happened in my family and with many of my friends? You could literally have 20 or more guns because great grandpa's, grandpa's and dad's guns got passed down through the generations.

Are collectors of fine rifles and shotguns "Stockpiling"?

Are avid hunters who have all of the various guns needed to hunt every season available in their region "stockpiling"?

Are shooting enthusiasts who go to the range with a variety of guns for the shooting sports they enjoy "stockpiling"?

The word "stockpiling" has connotations intended to confuse or enrage readers of the study who don't have an understanding of why people own multiple or even numerous firearms. To lump it together and call it "stockpiling" as if they are preparing for world war 3 is entirely dishonest.

#2764048 - 03/15/18 04:54 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

roflmao What!?

#2764052 - 03/15/18 05:01 PM Re: Scientific American: Why are White Men Stockpiling Guns? [Re: frvcvs]
GromsDad Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
By the way, who the heck is honestly answering the questions of these researchers? Doubt you'd get many from my generation of my parent's generation to comply with their study or give honest answers. Dubious.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32