REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2759318 - 03/06/18 02:25 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status

This is kind of an interesting article.Reverses the question to why ride a standard HPSB anymore:

https://stabmag.com/hardware/review-superbrands-fling-changed-the-way-i-view-surfing/

Food for thought. I find I don't ride my most HPSB anymore unless it's perfect and firing and even then I kinda wonder if I'd be having more fun on something shorter and wider with a little less rocker and run in and grab another board once the tide/wind/size strays from perfect. HPSBs just feel too fussy and demanding.

Edited by nightfly (03/06/18 02:38 PM)

#2759473 - 03/06/18 06:42 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: jkb]
centralcoastlurker Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: 35.1800 N, 120.7308 W
Originally Posted By: jkb
Repost, but applicable to this thread. This is me on the GMM2 at my local spot. These are the conditions in my area 90% of the time. It's debatable whether a hpsb would make it through that flat spot, but I can tell you for sure that on a hpsb you'd be doing the Huntington Hop through most of it......and that's no fun.

<iframe src='//gifs.com/embed/south-side-tamarack-surfing-bodyboarding-1-8-17-DRxlPA' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='640px' height='360px' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);'' ></iframe>

Looks like my local break too!! Some guys do ride HPSB in those waves, but it's no fun! I like the glide the groveler board gives you in those conditions!

#2759632 - 03/07/18 02:48 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: jkb]
Cosmogenic Offline
Grom

Loc: Santa Cruz Mtns
Originally Posted By: jkb
Repost, but applicable to this thread. This is me on the GMM2 at my local spot. These are the conditions in my area 90% of the time. It's debatable whether a hpsb would make it through that flat spot, but I can tell you for sure that on a hpsb you'd be doing the Huntington Hop through most of it......and that's no fun.

<iframe src='//gifs.com/embed/south-side-tamarack-surfing-bodyboarding-1-8-17-DRxlPA' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='640px' height='360px' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);'' ></iframe>

Good turns shaka

#2759806 - 03/07/18 01:01 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Thanks guys shaka

#2762594 - 03/13/18 11:33 AM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: Ilklandia

Edited by GWS (03/13/18 11:34 AM)

#2762627 - 03/13/18 12:15 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
rts265 Offline
Michael Peterson status

hell yes there is a point

airdrops on big days you should have picked a different board but you are in love with your groveler

jam_on

#2762799 - 03/13/18 03:35 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: Duffy]
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: caramel_Sea
Was never my state of mind

Log, keel fish, quad fish, stubby shortboard, shortboard, step up

I ride my twin keel fish in everything from chest high to head and a half. Never thought to use it in tiny waves. Maybe I should try it.

Below chest its a grovler (or Wavestorm) and above head and half I go with a round tail.

No love for the firefly anymore? That's my go to for anything less than head high.

#2762810 - 03/13/18 03:51 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
Zander Offline
Nep status

Loc: Australia
id have to say not really...if its below rideable on a shortboard than its not worth it IMO. Id rather ride a log or my 12ft prone paddleboard.

I know from team guys or pros that most of the time they dont really have grovel boards per se. The boards are similar or the same dims but they flatten the rocker. Sometimes they widen the nose or tail. Grovel boards should be placed in the same category as funboards or log alternatives. Not really for high-performance surfing.

#2762913 - 03/13/18 06:08 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
cdes Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I encourage everyone to ride their highest performance board in even the smallest of conditions. :P

In all seriousness, its a bit of both:

1) The virtues of a groveller are absolutely over-sold. There are just some waves that are too small or too weak to surf. Grovellers are the most fun in conditions where you could absolutely ride your DD.

2) That being said , I absolutely love my Manta, and I cannot deny that it allows me to get more waves, go faster, and have more fun then my smaller short boards would in softer, smaller conditions. Its so much fun that I find myself pushing its upper range rather than switching to a more HP board.

I dont know, maybe I just like skatey boards.

#2762988 - 03/13/18 08:35 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
caramel_Sea Offline
Billy Hamilton status

The Manta is a classic Lis fish without the swallow tail; one of the best concepts (Lis fish) in surf history.

LOW VOLUME

HIGH AREA

GLIDE + MANEUVERABILITY

SOUNDS LIKE MARKETING

BUT IT'S TRUE

COMING TO A BEACH NEAR YOU 1971

#2763000 - 03/13/18 09:02 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: surfy1476]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: surfy1476

I ride my twin keel fish in everything from chest high to head and a half. Never thought to use it in tiny waves. Maybe I should try it.

Below chest its a grovler (or Wavestorm) and above head and half I go with a round tail.

No love for the firefly anymore? That's my go to for anything less than head high.

J7 Firefly? Still ride it. Havent much lately but I still ride it. Howd you know I have one?

- The Wasp

#2763001 - 03/13/18 09:03 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: nightfly]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: nightfly
This is kind of an interesting article.Reverses the question to why ride a standard HPSB anymore:

https://stabmag.com/hardware/review-superbrands-fling-changed-the-way-i-view-surfing/

Food for thought. I find I don't ride my most HPSB anymore unless it's perfect and firing and even then I kinda wonder if I'd be having more fun on something shorter and wider with a little less rocker and run in and grab another board once the tide/wind/size strays from perfect. HPSBs just feel too fussy and demanding.

My HPSB is marketed as a grovler. But its really just a user friendly HPSB.

- The Wasp

#2763042 - 03/13/18 10:48 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: Duffy]
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: surfy1476

J7 Firefly? Still ride it. Havent much lately but I still ride it. Howd you know I have one?

Another thread a while back. Super fun board. I don't know why someone would get a super wide nose/tail potato type board when you can get a fish instead.

Edited by surfy1476 (03/13/18 10:49 PM)

#2763051 - 03/13/18 11:14 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
If I wasn't in a thick ass fcking wetsuit 9 months out of the year maybe I'd surf a shortboard in almost everything. I think that's something to take into account as well.

#2763062 - 03/13/18 11:34 PM Re: Grovelers: Is There Any Point? [Re: BillyOcean]
000 Offline
Duke status

its a good winter for a groveler here

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >