REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2763146 - 03/14/18 09:39 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
GromsDad Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Uh hal, ya dummy, have at it. Please compile those costs for us and report back to us.

#2763152 - 03/14/18 09:58 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status

I mentioned this a while back.
College today is such a ripoff.
Kids come out with a degree/massive debt, only to get a job as a coffee jockey or waiter at some chain restaurant.
Our nephew passed on the college deal and went right to the trades, ended up working in the oil industry as an operator.
Makes more $$ than any of his family members ever did at the age of 23.
He's on his 2nd home and looking to retire by age 50.
AND... no college loan debt.

#2763155 - 03/14/18 10:07 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
GromsDad Offline
Tom Curren status

College debt is a terrible thing for a person to saddle themselves with entering adulthood. The days of middle income families being able to send their kids off to college and have them graduate debt free like me and my sisters did are a thing of the past. So many kids enter adulthood now with student debt greater than the cost of a house......

#2763161 - 03/14/18 10:12 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
rts265 Offline
Michael Peterson status

cousin went to wellesly, majored in history/Spanish. parents paid for it all.

foreheadslap

#2763166 - 03/14/18 10:17 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
If you are on a budget, you do the CC for two years. Then do two years at the State college.

You live at home.

You could work and maybe borrow 10-20 grand.

20 grand debt is worth it for a BA, even one in the Humanites.

It's not worth 120 grand.

But no one is forcing anyone to pay that much for college.

People just want to do it.

Again, people think what they want to think while ignoring reality.

Sure, it saves energy and you feel safe but at what cost?

#2763168 - 03/14/18 10:28 AM Re: College costs. [Re: hal9000]
hammies Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: hal9000

One of the real problems is the inflation of administrative salaries and the increase in the number of administrative positions.

Ka-ching!

I'll take "This is one of the main reasons college costs are skyrocketing" for $1000, Alex,

#2763169 - 03/14/18 10:31 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
College debt is a terrible thing for a person to saddle themselves with entering adulthood. The days of middle income families being able to send their kids off to college and have them graduate debt free like me and my sisters did are a thing of the past. So many kids enter adulthood now with student debt greater than the cost of a house......

$.02

I interviewed a Dec 2018 UNF grad yesterday afternoon. He was on the GDaddy track, FSCJ for AA, then UNF, STEM degree.

There are still a ton of public in-state schools that imho make sense. Some of them are in expensive areas, but anyone studying something remotely useful at UC-Berkeley, or UCLA.....that person isn't setting themselves up for failure. Michigan's a good school, UNC Chapel Hill is good, UT in Austin and UF in Gainesville are lower-tier compared to the better public universities but for the money, they're a decent value for in-state kids. Sure not every state with people in it has a good public school, but if you're from a farm in Montana that got bought in the Dust Bowl and your folks make 2 wooden nickels a week and you've got the grades, someone, somewhere, is going to help out.

I had a 3.02 (needed a 3.0 for Florida Bright Futures, aka free UF tuition and books) and a 1250 on the SAT (1997 scores) and a 31 on the ACT (stronger than my SAT score). Did basically the bare minimum to get into the best in-state school. I had an offer for free everything from Mississippi State.

My cousin works for a private grade school in Westchester County, and he tells me basically everyone that gets into top Ivy League schools, specifically Harvard, is qualifying for something to help out. Unless you're Jared Kushner; then you need Daddy to pay full tuition and build a new library.

Buddy's nephew or some such goes/went to Alabama. Not a reputation as a very strong school, and I think he picked an out of state public University for the football team, but the student in question also picked Mechanical Engineering, Mercedes Benz is outside Tuscaloosa, the University isn't incompetent (janitor, janitoooooor, no. NO. Put that down.) and fed them the cheap labor, and the kid seems like he's building something.

#2763176 - 03/14/18 10:51 AM Re: College costs. [Re: hammies]
Autoprax Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: hammies

One of the real problems is the inflation of administrative salaries and the increase in the number of administrative positions.

Ka-ching!

I'll take "This is one of the main reasons college costs are skyrocketing" for $1000, Alex,

The state has diverted funds away from the universities too.

Another muliti-variate problem simplified by a simple mind.

My office is among the offices of special programs.

I can't walk down them without thinking, someone with a conservative temperament would lose their minds if they saw this. I lose my mind too.

They certainly ain't appropriating money into the classroom.

I am expected to do with more with less than 10 years ago.

But any kind of service worker has felt the squeeze in the last 20 years.

They have been cutting retirement funding systematically too.

This is easy to verify with a little research.

#2763178 - 03/14/18 10:56 AM Re: College costs. [Re: SBSteve]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
Originally Posted By: SBSteve
I mentioned this a while back.
College today is such a ripoff.
Kids come out with a degree/massive debt, only to get a job as a coffee jockey or waiter at some chain restaurant.
Our nephew passed on the college deal and went right to the trades, ended up working in the oil industry as an operator.
Makes more $$ than any of his family members ever did at the age of 23.
He's on his 2nd home and looking to retire by age 50.
AND... no college loan debt.

Kids who get out of college and work at coffee shops are obviously not very good at whatever they studied or lack ambition and that's fine.
I would say 80% of the people I graduated with never worked in the industry they studied for.

College is not supposed to guarantee you a job and riches.

Only knowledge.

It's up to you what you do with it.

Like your example shows.

Knowledge is not a rip off, it's the fact that colleges are run like businesses, that have to turn a profit, that makes it a rip off.

Whoever thinks that teaching staff is to blame for high costs, is smoking crack.

#2763179 - 03/14/18 10:58 AM Re: College costs. [Re: Autoprax]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
I work at a college.

I can tell you guys don't.

You do an attribute substitution of reality with what you see in the media.

You simplify to make things easy, which I get because the nervous system is always looking for way to spare resources.

But in this case your resource sparing strategy led you to the wrong conclusion.

I will admit there is a low cost to being wrong; however, we are what we do. You prime faulty neurocpetion by chronically misreading threats.

Your wrongness now predicts more wrongness in the future.

Sad face.

All of this. ^^^^

Including the sad face.

#2763189 - 03/14/18 11:13 AM Re: College costs. [Re: hal9000]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
I work at a college.

I can tell you guys don't.

You do an attribute substitution of reality with what you see in the media.

You simplify to make things easy, which I get because the nervous system is always looking for way to spare resources.

But in this case your resource sparing strategy led you to the wrong conclusion.

I will admit there is a low cost to being wrong; however, we are what we do. You prime faulty neurocpetion by chronically misreading threats.

Your wrongness now predicts more wrongness in the future.

Sad face.

Clearly you are overpaid for whatever it is you do. You are part of the problem.

I know what professors make and I can assure you, professors are not overpaid.

Bingo

That, and "student life" type things that are wholly nonfunctional. When I was in college my college spent millions to build a state of the art student center to replace the one that was wholly functional and fine despite its midcentury architecture.

Meanwhile, I had a couple classes in portables....

#2763197 - 03/14/18 11:28 AM Re: College costs. [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

$.02

I interviewed a Dec 2018 UNF grad yesterday afternoon. He was on the GDaddy track, FSCJ for AA, then UNF, STEM degree.

There are still a ton of public in-state schools that imho make sense. Some of them are in expensive areas, but anyone studying something remotely useful at UC-Berkeley, or UCLA.....that person isn't setting themselves up for failure. Michigan's a good school, UNC Chapel Hill is good, UT in Austin and UF in Gainesville are lower-tier compared to the better public universities but for the money, they're a decent value for in-state kids. Sure not every state with people in it has a good public school, but if you're from a farm in Montana that got bought in the Dust Bowl and your folks make 2 wooden nickels a week and you've got the grades, someone, somewhere, is going to help out.

I had a 3.02 (needed a 3.0 for Florida Bright Futures, aka free UF tuition and books) and a 1250 on the SAT (1997 scores) and a 31 on the ACT (stronger than my SAT score). Did basically the bare minimum to get into the best in-state school. I had an offer for free everything from Mississippi State.

My cousin works for a private grade school in Westchester County, and he tells me basically everyone that gets into top Ivy League schools, specifically Harvard, is qualifying for something to help out. Unless you're Jared Kushner; then you need Daddy to pay full tuition and build a new library.

Buddy's nephew or some such goes/went to Alabama. Not a reputation as a very strong school, and I think he picked an out of state public University for the football team, but the student in question also picked Mechanical Engineering, Mercedes Benz is outside Tuscaloosa, the University isn't incompetent (janitor, janitoooooor, no. NO. Put that down.) and fed them the cheap labor, and the kid seems like he's building something.

agree with the basis of your these, but the example...

GODDAMMIT

#2763199 - 03/14/18 11:33 AM Re: College costs. [Re: the janitor]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Must. Not. Post. Wall. Of. Rolly. Laughy. Faces.

#2763201 - 03/14/18 11:34 AM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
GromsDad Offline
Tom Curren status

My alma mater just expanded its indoor sports facility last year. Insane. It was an awesome sports facility to begin with. Pool with separate dive tank. 6 hardwood B'ball courts. Indoor track. 6 Raquetball courts. Separate Basketball court in a stadium setting. Weight room. Separate facility for the wrestling program to train in.

Now they've done a major expansion and revamped everything and added a state of the art health club. Had to have cost a bloody freaking fortune.

This is a small private Division III school with less than 3,000 students. Approximate cost for a 4-year degree living on campus with a food plan: $195,000.

#2763650 - 03/14/18 09:06 PM Re: College costs. [Re: GromsDad]
BillyOcean Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

It will be marquee universities which will expand to different tiers

The top tier will be full live in experience

Mid tier will be mostly online with in person conferences

Bottom tier will be fully online

Average person would rather have a tier 3 degree from Harvard than a regular degree from number 200 liberal arts school, which will actually cost more

The levels of bureaucracy at all of these schools is massively redundant

The classroom and research functions have merit/ value

Those are arguably being underfunded due to administrative bloat

You can already see this phenomenon occurring

College M&A is growing

Lesser schools cant justify the price tag

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32