REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2753273 - 02/22/18 04:10 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
grapedrink Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: A Beach
Hump could give you the insider tips on cool places to go with the family . . . Just be clear that you aren’t bringing a huge pack of frothing brazzos hat

#2753276 - 02/22/18 04:21 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Sao Paulo/Brazil
Originally Posted By: littlewave
Long drive from Calgary depending on where you want to end up. I'd suck it up and stay up in the mountains.

Yup. How about Canmore? Seems on the cheap side if compared to Banff and looks very, very close.

#2753322 - 02/22/18 06:01 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
Canmore was a cool little town, and yes, I would definitely stay there if Banff is too expensive.

#2753716 - 02/23/18 02:24 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

After looking at all the amazing stuff that I can see around Banff/Yoho/Jasper, I'm considering ditching Vancouver altogether and flying straight to Calgary to increase my time in the National Parks.

Only thing that bothers me is that it will probably be harder to get some weed in Calgary than it would be in Vancouver.

Anyone happens to know a local from Calgary who could give me some tips?

Only bummer is that it seems it will be hard to find accomodations for Jasper that also seems too far away from anything to find alternative accomodations (unlike Banff that has Canmore 25 minutes away)

#2755387 - 02/26/18 05:42 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
Ranch Offline
Grom

Loc: Huh
Your in the mountains weed is not a problem at all , Canmore is a beauty too , prices have changed there as well , use to be a discount those days are over , still check though , jaspar has some cool cabins as well for accommodations as well ,

Cheers

#2755736 - 02/27/18 09:51 AM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

Reservations for the parks are all done! dancing

2 days in Canmore

2 days in Jasper (got a tip for a site name stayinjasper.com and booked a nice private room, Amanda's Guesthouse. Emails weren't coming though so I had to give them a call to set everything up, the host was such a lovely woman)

1 day in Canmore

Still worried about the weed though... I keep hearing it's easy to come by but being with my wife and baby it's not like I'm gonna be able to start asking around bars and such... Would still love to figure out some specifics.

Could even order online to my hotel but most services require that I'm a canadian citizen and won't accept credit cards, only e-transfers... Maybe this is something en erbber from Canada could help me out?!?!

#2760464 - 03/08/18 04:30 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: brukuns

I was originally aiming for a Calgary/Banff trip, but heard that it will be too frigid that time of the year and the drives might be a bit dangerous, so I got a bit scared for the baby.

The only part of Canada that won't be frigid that time of year will be Vancouver, where it should just be rainy and cold.

But with the wacky winters lately, who knows?

By the way, how much snow/ice driving do you have under your belt? If it isn't much, won't make much difference where you drive if there is snow/ice.....in fact, I'd bet lots of traffic in snow/ice conditions is worse than little traffic in snow/ice conditions, well, to a point. As some point, crappy road conditions brings everything to a stop no matter where you are with the the average vehicle.

Which makes me wonder, do rental cars in Canada during the winter come with studded snow tires and chains in the trunk?

#2760468 - 03/08/18 04:34 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: grapedrink]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: grapedrink

Personally, I'd rather get snowed on in sub-freezing temps than rained on in almost freezing temps drowning

In my credo, or mix of personal philosophies, this statement is towards the top of the list.

#2760469 - 03/08/18 04:36 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: brukuns
^^^^ Nice good call jam_on You could try VRBO, or maybe there are other sites specific to Canada for that shrug
BTW you should PM Hump if he hasn't hit you up already, not sure if he lurks the travel section. OG ErBBer Vancouver Island LOCster beer

I didn't realize Hump lived in Vancouver. I might hit him up.

I'm checking VRBO now, didn't even know it existed, thanks!

Don't confuse the island with the mainland....isn't Hump on the island?

#2762104 - 03/12/18 01:29 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

Hey Mr. Doof, thanks for the inputs, but I've already booked my flights for this August... no ice or snow this time, just turquoise beauty surrounded by trippy mountains! Even the domestic flights are already booked.

Aug/9 - Arrive in Toronto (maybe get weed in case flying to Calgary with pot is legal by then)
Aug/10 - Arrive in Calgary... relax, shop, prepare stuff for the trip to the parks
Aug/12 - Arrive in Canmore... hotels in Banff were too expensive. 2 days of exploring Banff and probably Yoho. PERSEIDS METEOR SHOWER WILL BE IN FULL SWING!
Aug/14 - Arrive in Jasper. Booked this nice yet affordable B&B (Amanda's Guesthouse) through stayinjasper.com. 2 days exploring the shit outta that place.
Aug/16 - Arrive in Canmore for the last night in the parks
Aug/17 - Back in Calgary to wrap things up.
Aug/18 (more like 19 as the flight arrives 1am) - Back to Toronto to wrap up the trip. I don't care what people are saying about Toronto, I'm doing my research and it sounds like an awesome place, I'm stoked to spend some time there and I wish I had more time to spare.
Aug/21 - Time to get back to real sucky life in São Paulo where weed is bad and the air is polluted frown

On another note, it seems that in either June or July weed may become legal in Canada... I know they will require a few months before recreational pot can be sold, but I believe legalization will already be effective and the law says that you can bring weed between provinces... Anyone knows if it will be legal to fly within the country with weed or if there are restrictions when it comes to flying? It would be much, much easier to get weed in Toronto and bring it to Calgary than to try and get it in Calgary.

This pothead appreciates anyone's input.

Edited by brukuns (03/12/18 01:30 PM)

#2762120 - 03/12/18 01:47 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: Mr Doof]
grapedrink Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: A Beach
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

Personally, I'd rather get snowed on in sub-freezing temps than rained on in almost freezing temps drowning

In my credo, or mix of personal philosophies, this statement is towards the top of the list.

Great minds think alike beer

#2762287 - 03/12/18 05:59 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: grapedrink]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

August trip now?

Ah, I was hoping for a "...and then it started to snow" trip report lead in.

Toronto and then to Calgary then back to Toronto?

Why not Vancouver ("best" pot), drive to Calgary, then fly Toronto? Fly over the boring parts, drive through the best parts.

While I am sure the answer is "plane fare", maybe there is a time element.

August can bring some interesting weather to the northern plains:

Edited by Mr Doof (03/12/18 06:00 PM)

#2762669 - 03/13/18 01:18 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
I was in Banff in August, it was cold as fook! No snow but highs in the low 40s and rain.

#2762827 - 03/13/18 04:09 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
brukuns Offline
Miki Dora status

I can't control the weather. If there's a tornado, there will be a tornado, life goes on. Also, I would love a bit of snow even though it's very unlikely (it did dump in Calgary back in August 2015).

As for Vancouver, I decided not to make the drive because:
1 - I won't be traveling for that long to waste that much time in a car.
2 - I'll have a baby with me, not looking forward for a 10 hour drive, even if I can split it in a couple of days.

Anyone know anything about flying with weed once the law passes?

#2764363 - 03/16/18 01:27 PM Re: Canada with baby - tips? [Re: brukuns]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

A Totally get the time constraints. Driving in a car sucks if you can't make time in it part of the reason for doing the trip.

B Think you are going to have to wait for Canada to do what it is going to do with regards to their cannabis laws before anyone can give you decent legal advice. I don't think you'd have any trouble buying what you want wherever you go if flying with cannabis is a concern.

C In the USA, flying is governed more by Federal law than state/local law, so if you are flying in a cannabis friendly state to anywhere, including interstate, I strongly advise against flying with it in anything but a private plane and then don't get yourself subjected in any inspections.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32