REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2734704 - 01/13/18 05:17 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Havoc4k]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
oceanside iz too far for me and the wavez r bette for longboards there.

bawling

It's true

#2734907 - 01/14/18 03:28 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: jkb]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

So you can only keep the boards for 5 days max, and can only have one at a time.

For their idea of "boardless travel", that's a silly concept. Let's say they had a place in padang for the crew going on Ments boat trips... how's 5 days and one board going to work???? Crazy.

#2734909 - 01/14/18 03:31 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: jkb]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: jkb
Thanks Hopeless.

Is there a link to those boards somewhere on the awayco website? I couldn't find one.

Not unless you already have an invite code... It sounds like netflix where you can't see what they've got unless you fork out the $$

#2734939 - 01/14/18 08:20 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Ah, ok.

I'm definitely interested, even if I just sign up for a couple of months.

#2734979 - 01/14/18 11:12 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
sd_101 Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: around san diego
Worth it if you live down the street from the shop. Otherwise, not so much.

Who has time to go to a shop twice in a 5-day span. I live a mile or so from one of the surf rides and the trek still seems daunting. God, I hate driving during tourist season.

#2745971 - 02/08/18 05:08 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: sd_101]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

So I finished my "free month" and cancelled my membership. I've got another access code that I will try with another login/email so hopefully I get another free month...

A few takeaways from a month of trying boards out:
Boards tried:
HS Holy Grail (2 sizes)
CI Biscuit bonzer
CI Bonzer Shelter
CI Fever
CI Black and White
CI Sampler
Lost RNF Redux

Board preference:
1. CI Sampler
2. CI Fever
3. HS Black and White / Holy Grail (probably equal, but I didn't get more than 1 surf on the B&W)
5. Biscuit bonzer
6. Bonzer shelter
7. RNF redux ---- by a long shot

What awayco does well
Lots of different boards
Doesn't matter if you ding or snap them
It's fun to try lots of boards
Get to try different fins
Get to try different constructions - I'd never tried fibre flex or carbon wrap before

What it doesn't do well
5 days max. No chance of taking one on a surf trip
Can't have more than one board at a time - again, won't work for a serious surf trip
The website is often wrong about whether the board is PU/other, futures/FCS...
As it's run through surf shops, you're stuck with their opening hours - no after-hours dropoffs etc.

Who should give it a go
Someone who:
Wants to try lots of boards
Has been riding customs for years and had no idea about the whole volume thing and what's right for them
Has a lot of quick trips to locations with surf as a 2nd or 3rd priority and can't bring a board for logistics reasons

Who it won't work for
Someone going on a serious surf trip - "boardless travel"... for non-serious surfers
People happy with their quivers
Anyone who doesn't want to ride JS/CI/HS/FW etc

it's been fun!

#2746087 - 02/08/18 12:18 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

So you ended up liking the Sampler. In a previous post, you seemed pretty unsure about it.

#2746552 - 02/09/18 05:19 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: jkb]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

So you ended up liking the Sampler. In a previous post, you seemed pretty unsure about it.

Yeah I didn't think I would like it so much. That board went so good!

#2746722 - 02/09/18 12:33 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Hopeless

Yeah I didn't think I would like it so much. That board went so good!

I liked the one I rode too, although the one I had was a bit chunky for my taste.

#2748332 - 02/13/18 11:53 AM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
MrDobalina Offline
Grom

They have one in SF that isn't exactly on my way to surf (It's way up Taraval), but it's near my local beach. I might be moving a little closer soon, but oddly, I think that might keep me from trekking up the hill.

It's a good crew of guys behind it (Ace Buchan, Blake Thornton, a few others I know) and I'd love to support them, but I won't be likely to sign up. I don't really get down with the whole Container Quivers model, and I barely spend money on boards as it is. Not to mention that I often go more than 5 days without hitting the water, especially here.

If the Surf Ride deal is what they are pushing for, the concept just might takeoff a bit. If they can stash their inventory/share their inventory with existing shops rather than set up their own everywhere, it could be pretty sustainable as long as they can keep getting $150 surfboards.

#2748468 - 02/13/18 01:53 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: MrDobalina]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: MrDobalina
They have one in SF that isn't exactly on my way to surf (It's way up Taraval), but it's near my local beach. I might be moving a little closer soon, but oddly, I think that might keep me from trekking up the hill.

It's a good crew of guys behind it (Ace Buchan, Blake Thornton, a few others I know) and I'd love to support them, but I won't be likely to sign up. I don't really get down with the whole Container Quivers model, and I barely spend money on boards as it is. Not to mention that I often go more than 5 days without hitting the water, especially here.

If the Surf Ride deal is what they are pushing for, the concept just might takeoff a bit. If they can stash their inventory/share their inventory with existing shops rather than set up their own everywhere, it could be pretty sustainable as long as they can keep getting $150 surfboards.

The one in SF is their headquarters and they have a really good selection of boards there including some Pyzel Ghosts and Padillacs. As of right now, the first month is free. I say give them a shot. When you see a swell coming, reserve a board, go pick it up and surf it. You have a 5 day window to use it and return it.

#2772248 - 04/02/18 01:30 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: jkb]
grundy Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

The one in SF is their headquarters and they have a really good selection of boards there including some Pyzel Ghosts and Padillacs.

Can any of you Awayco'ers post up a list of what they have in stock in SF? Particularly curious for my wife, who rides around 24L - I kinda suspect that they don't have enough in her size range to make it worthwhile for her... it'd sure be nice of one could see what they have in stock before starting the clock ticking on the free one month.

#2772252 - 04/02/18 01:33 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

I stopped so no longer have access. Went through all the boards I could in my size range.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

#2775572 - 04/09/18 01:55 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: jkb]
MrDobalina Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: MrDobalina

The one in SF is their headquarters and they have a really good selection of boards there including some Pyzel Ghosts and Padillacs. As of right now, the first month is free. I say give them a shot. When you see a swell coming, reserve a board, go pick it up and surf it. You have a 5 day window to use it and return it.

They now have 2 spots in SF. More alterna-craft at the other shop. Caters to the Volan and Coffee crowd it seems. Probably a smart move.

#2775777 - 04/09/18 07:15 PM Re: So I joined Awayco... [Re: Hopeless]
JonnyAvenu Offline
Grom

Loc: LA County
Seems as though you no longer need a code to sign up. I just started my free trial. Im in LA and they only have 2 boards around the the volume I typically ride. ::eye roll::

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >