REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nicaragua Mid March #2738408
01/23/18 05:35 PM
01/23/18 05:35 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Anyone been this time period?

Also any recommendations for places to stay on the cheap, walking distance to good waves?

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: manbearpig] #2738673
01/24/18 01:39 AM
01/24/18 01:39 AM
Point Loma, CA
T
tenover Offline
Kelly Slater status
tenover  Offline
Kelly Slater status
T

Point Loma, CA
I went a few years ago the first week of April. SOLID surf for probably 4 of the 5 days we were there. We stayed in a killer house at Colorados for a friends birthday party.....Not that cheap, but worth every penny. Our house was about 20 steps from the break. Here's a pic of the birthday boy on the first day we arrived....

Pic of me on the smallest day we had(Still super fun on the Griffin quad...)

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: manbearpig] #2738982
01/24/18 07:02 PM
01/24/18 07:02 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Looks LEGIT tenover. One of the lads coming probably wouldn't be too stoked on big surf. How is typical swell size mid March? Hell I've been surfing so little lately I think I'd almost prefer the bottom size. Got a line on a good spot from an old friend in front of Popoyo. Anyone else have experience with Villa Jiquelite? Good prices for sure and right on the beach.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: manbearpig] #2739358
01/25/18 02:34 PM
01/25/18 02:34 PM
B
Barknuckle Offline
Grom
Barknuckle  Offline
Grom
B

Went in June 2017 for the first time and scored, but I'm sure some early south swells will hit in March with fewer crowds. I hope to return this year and plan to stay at the Surf Sanctuary again. I did a lot of research on multiple places to stay and found this place to be most user friendly. They have it dialed in for sure. I went with the guided tour all inclusive package and it was hassle headache free. No worries about rental cars, they pick up and drop off at airport at all times of day or night, and they know which surf spots to go to and when. Plus they brew the coffee at 5am every morning verses some places that don't open their kitchen until 7am (it's the little things that can make a trip)...Boat rides to certain spots, surfed 3 times a day (can't do that most anywhere else due to afternoon onshores) and they have clean rooms, decent grub, friendly staff and knowledgeable guides.
Only downside was it's a 2 minute walk to Santana's beach and a 10 minute drive to Popoyo. But, I drive everywhere here in the states to my go to surf spots (sometimes 1-2 hrs away) anyways so that doesn't bother me much and it's away from the bro-brah Euro trash you might find and other locations. Also, you have to boat in to Colorado's and panga drops but again, no big deal to me...hope this helps

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: Barknuckle] #2739613
01/25/18 07:32 PM
01/25/18 07:32 PM
S
sbsurfersb Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
sbsurfersb  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Mid to late March is usually Spring Break so there will likely be colelge surfers getting down there for waves.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: sbsurfersb] #2739621
01/25/18 07:45 PM
01/25/18 07:45 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: sbsurfersb
Mid to late March is usually Spring Break so there will likely be colelge surfers getting down there for waves.

Yeah Im in that boat again. My only time off.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: Barknuckle] #2739625
01/25/18 07:51 PM
01/25/18 07:51 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: Barknuckle
Went in June 2017 for the first time and scored, but I'm sure some early south swells will hit in March with fewer crowds. I hope to return this year and plan to stay at the Surf Sanctuary again. I did a lot of research on multiple places to stay and found this place to be most user friendly. They have it dialed in for sure. I went with the guided tour all inclusive package and it was hassle headache free. No worries about rental cars, they pick up and drop off at airport at all times of day or night, and they know which surf spots to go to and when. Plus they brew the coffee at 5am every morning verses some places that don't open their kitchen until 7am (it's the little things that can make a trip)...Boat rides to certain spots, surfed 3 times a day (can't do that most anywhere else due to afternoon onshores) and they have clean rooms, decent grub, friendly staff and knowledgeable guides.
Only downside was it's a 2 minute walk to Santana's beach and a 10 minute drive to Popoyo. But, I drive everywhere here in the states to my go to surf spots (sometimes 1-2 hrs away) anyways so that doesn't bother me much and it's away from the bro-brah Euro trash you might find and other locations. Also, you have to boat in to Colorado's and panga drops but again, no big deal to me...hope this helps

Thanks man! Definitely helps.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: manbearpig] #2740450
01/27/18 01:10 PM
01/27/18 01:10 PM
Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
F
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status
flyinraptr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
F

We have the week of March 17th-24th still available. We're 100yds from the main peak at Colorado's and a 10 min walk to Pangas. If interested in staying within Hacienda Iguana (Colorado's) i can hook you up with my property manager - he has other properties that may still have availability.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: manbearpig] #2740528
01/27/18 05:36 PM
01/27/18 05:36 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Thanks flyinraptr. Looks like we may have a spot pinpointed, but Ill get in touch if it falls through.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: tenover] #2744573
02/05/18 09:43 PM
02/05/18 09:43 PM
N.S.D
N
nrthcty Offline
Gerry Lopez status
nrthcty  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

N.S.D
A friend is trying to get me on board to book at place called miramar, http://miramarsurfcamp.com I have never been to Nica and really wasn't planning on a trip....but the wife seems supportive of me going - they want to book this week, so Im in a crunch for info - glad I have erbb to assist - Let me know what you know.

Last edited by nrthcty; 02/05/18 09:43 PM.
Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: nrthcty] #2744678
02/06/18 12:05 AM
02/06/18 12:05 AM
F
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status
flyinraptr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
F

Originally Posted By: nrthcty
A friend is trying to get me on board to book at place called miramar, http://miramarsurfcamp.com I have never been to Nica and really wasn't planning on a trip....but the wife seems supportive of me going - they want to book this week, so Im in a crunch for info - glad I have erbb to assist - Let me know what you know.

Sorry never heard of it. Checked the website - looks sick - they're located up in the northern pacific region of Nica.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: nrthcty] #2744698
02/06/18 12:39 AM
02/06/18 12:39 AM
Orange County
L
littlewave Online sleepy
Michael Peterson status
littlewave  Online Sleepy
Michael Peterson status
L

Orange County

retodd and i have both been there on separate trips. I got some ok waves, I also got a gnarly ear infection that ended my surfing/trip early, so Todd may have a better report than I did. Not sure I'd go back, but that might have been swayed by how sick I got. Nothing to do at all in the "town" there, and I mean nothing, not restuarants (other than a rad house that will cook you lobster), unless it's changes in last 5 years.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: littlewave] #2745005
02/06/18 06:05 PM
02/06/18 06:05 PM
N.S.D
N
nrthcty Offline
Gerry Lopez status
nrthcty  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

N.S.D
Thanks for the info - yes their set up looks pretty nice, especially the mini ramps..and I like lefts, which seem to be abundant..but work F'd it up again - I cannot miss work for the dates of the trip......another time perhaps.

Re: Nicaragua Mid March [Re: nrthcty] #2745832
02/08/18 12:59 AM
02/08/18 12:59 AM
Oceanside, CA
O
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oceanslide  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
O

Oceanside, CA

Several er'BBers have been. It's a pretty awesome setup, IMO. Beachfront, with some rooms overlooking
a left reef that's random and wonky but looks perfect in pics. Beachbreak/reef a short walk north, supposedly
some beachbreaks a walk south (not when we were there), and an offshore rivermouth point that takes
a boat ride that can potentially be world-class, but is very wide open to getting blown out by the offshores
(yes, that's possible) if they're too strong, like we had. I liked it, even though we didn't get the greatest
conditions. Nice place, food right there or at one nearby restaurant or a local lady cooking lobster in her
shack, multiple spots to walk to if there's swell, and the potential to score insanely long lefts if things
work out right for you.
One negative (possibly)...lots of Brazzos. Interestingly, the biggest snake of guests was an employee that
taught MMA or some shit there.

"Surfing reminds us of how good life is."
Oceansliding

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32