REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2741116 - 01/29/18 08:52 AM Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots
Topeslide Offline
Grom

there was a SUP hydrofoil in the lineup this weekend. The rider seemed pretty aware of everyone around him but what happens when a novice or kook gets their hands on one? A hydrofoil and potentially decapitate someone. Maybe limit hydrofoils to their own area like the dogpatch at Sano?

#2741129 - 01/29/18 09:22 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Its a fad.

It will die just like SUP is

I was vehemently anti-SUP but by and large they are like what, 5% of the surfing population at this point in any wave you actually want to surf?

#2741153 - 01/29/18 10:32 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status

need to get the vessel definition changed - sup's are vessels everywhere but the surf zone. change that and we ban sup's and I'm sure hydrofoils will fall in that category.

#2741204 - 01/29/18 12:26 PM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: rts265]
000 Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: rts265
need to get the vessel definition changed - sup's are vessels everywhere but the surf zone. change that and we ban sup's and I'm sure hydrofoils will fall in that category.

yes please

#2742611 - 02/01/18 01:00 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: Topeslide
there was a SUP hydrofoil in the lineup this weekend. The rider seemed pretty aware of everyone around him but what happens when a novice or kook gets their hands on one? A hydrofoil and potentially decapitate someone. Maybe limit hydrofoils to their own area like the dogpatch at Sano?

I completely agree. Foiling around surfers and SUPs is annoying. Most are in the way, sitting there like a deer caught in headlights, or scrape for the shoulder thinking they're getting out of the way, when they're just getting IN the way. Most surfers can't comprehend the speed and distance you can travel on the foil. I've caught and passed SUPs that drop in 100 yards down the line thinking I'd never catch them.

I think they need to dedicate foil zones that are good areas for foiling, speaking mainly about the mainland. SanO, Bolsa Chica, etc.. Here on Maui, the foil spots are those that typically nobody surfs anyway. Or if they do it's typically on a big SUP.

I know of plenty spots nobody regularly surfs that are perfect for foil. One is between CDM and Laguna. dancing

#2862098 - 10/19/18 08:00 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Kaser1]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
It a Very exciting new activity .

Puena Point - lots of Sups and Foil Boards + lesser skilled surfers seeking easier surf .

Great surfing spot before both .

There will be collisions , windsurfers at backyards became Very cocky coming close to surfers at high speed with massive vessels .They were sure they were the cutting edge of the future drowning

+ side to foiling is its so good on those rolling swell spots that can't be surfed .

The claim they won't be in the surf should be dropped just like the 10 items or less sign at the store ;-)

#2862110 - 10/19/18 08:40 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Ban foils EVERYWHERE!

#2862159 - 10/19/18 10:31 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Amazing. Dipshits come up with something as dangerous as SUP and then somehow manage to make something more dangerous

#2862879 - 10/20/18 06:51 PM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Foil gets anywhere near me, my wife or my son then Im going to prison.

- The Wasp

#2862883 - 10/20/18 07:00 PM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
SUP is dying? I didnt get the memo. shrug

#2862895 - 10/20/18 08:08 PM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Duffy]
1whoknows Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Foil gets anywhere near me, my wife or my son then Im going to prison.

#2862938 - 10/21/18 04:39 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: manbearpig]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
Originally Posted By: manbearpig

Honestly, I think I actually saw less sups this summer. Regular sup rippers still out, but the short boarders know them and dont mind them so much. Mostly ex short boarders with bad shoulders who follow the rules.

The SUP splat from nearby occurs less frequently, IMO. Maybe they went somewhere else, or the water got too cold.

#2862956 - 10/21/18 08:18 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: manbearpig]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

West Coast is ahead of trends

I see less and less

#2863012 - 10/21/18 10:05 AM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: Topeslide]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
I've not got a problem with foils. It actually looks like fun in the open ocean or unbroken swell.

But to me it doesn't look fun to do around people or in waves that would be fun to surf.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2863235 - 10/21/18 01:58 PM Re: Ban hydrofoils at popular surf spots [Re: ifallalot]
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: SJC
Originally Posted By: ifallalot

West Coast is ahead of trends

I see less and less

I felt like I saw way more softboard surfing this summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >