REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2734564 - 01/13/18 12:42 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Colin]
Colin Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: east oahu
... and just when I was starting to miss Griffin. LoL.

I do love a good twinzer (Larry Mabile) but that’s a different topic altogether.

Keeping this on topic. I’ve settled at 9in. See how that goes. Running aipa twins not keels.

#2734805 - 01/13/18 10:01 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: foamdust]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: foamdust
Thanks Mr J. I'll be 63 in a week so for some this board may seem long and thick. But for me its about as short as I'd like to go. Two things inspired to to shape this board, the fins and seeing a Wave Tools 70s twin fin replica at a local shop. I designed it to grovel in the small 1-3 ft. waves we get a lot during the summer on the south shore. I've only used it twice, the first time in up to shoulder high hollow north shore lefts and it felt like it could probably handle a little more size. It also has a FCS Fusion option for a rear trailer.

cool How did you arrive at the 8-3/4" placement? I would be interested to hear how it goes with the trailer.

#2734809 - 01/13/18 10:13 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Greg Griffin]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Mr J

Looked at your MR Article

Brewer mid 70’s quiver

His favorite 5’10 on the right

The 5’10" Template

MR Twin Template from your posted article

5' 10" performance shortboard size too. Love the way you can search the archives of your mind, find a matching template and then produce the pictures!

#2734810 - 01/13/18 10:16 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: sdsurfrat]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: sdsurfrat

With all due respect Mr. J (and thank you for your contributions) by your own admission YOU HAVE NEVER SURFED A PROPER TWINZER IN YOUR LIFE making your entire statement false and without merit... .

cheers thanks for considering my rambling tome as a contribution

#2734812 - 01/13/18 10:19 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: chrisp510]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: chrisp510
The twinzers that I have surfed are hands down, better than the thrusters i've surfed.
More drive, faster, equally loose, more stable, equally predictable, equally able to get up into the lip.

thanks for chiming in with your criteria comparison experiences. Seems like you have compelling reasons for riding twinzers.

I once started to write a post on why I preferred thruster to quad, but when I started to run through the criteria - it was all equal or in favour of quad so I was actually unable to explain why I preferred thruster and gave up on composing that post!

#2734838 - 01/13/18 11:08 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Mr J]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
The 3 Brewers on the right had concave tails .

#2734847 - 01/13/18 11:27 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Mr J]
chrisp510 Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: Mr J
Originally Posted By: chrisp510
The twinzers that I have surfed are hands down, better than the thrusters i've surfed.
More drive, faster, equally loose, more stable, equally predictable, equally able to get up into the lip.

thanks for chiming in with your criteria comparison experiences. Seems like you have compelling reasons for riding twinzers.

I once started to write a post on why I preferred thruster to quad, but when I started to run through the criteria - it was all equal or in favour of quad so I was actually unable to explain why I preferred thruster and gave up on composing that post!

cheers cheers

#2734867 - 01/14/18 12:02 AM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Mr J]
foamdust Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Mr J, I got that dimension from experienced board builder Barry Snyder. I'll probably cut down and reshape an old fin for a trailing fin. Although I don't really feel like I need one right now, at some point I'll probably stick one in.

Edited by foamdust (01/14/18 11:49 AM)

#2735560 - 01/16/18 02:56 AM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Greg Griffin]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

The 3 Brewers on the right had concave tails .

I think you mentioned before about a Brewer having a double concave (concaves for control), were they all doubles?

#2735566 - 01/16/18 03:26 AM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: foamdust]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: foamdust
Mr J, I got that dimension from experienced board builder Barry Snyder. I'll probably cut down and reshape an old fin for a trailing fin. Although I don't really feel like I need one right now, at some point I'll probably stick one in.

Cheers, I am glad you remembered. I have heard of Barry Snyder from swaylocks https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/shapers-hotseat-barry-snyder

You have gone to the trouble of putting the extra box in, so I think may as well learn something from it by putting the trailer in and seeing how it goes.

After much searching I found out what I did with my 5 box convertible twin fin/twinzer/twin + trailer. It was a big board at 6' 6" (I'm now in a phase of riding much smaller boards), but at that time I was spending a lot of time on a Takayama 7' 10" egg. My convertible board had front fins set at 10 3/4" because I had made a quarter of an inch adjustment for it being a rounded pintail and the extra length. Interestingly I thought that the large front twin fins could do with a tightly packed cluster so set the rear trailer a full 4 5/8" from the tail. Shortening the distance from front to rear seemed to be the right thing. Even then I felt the result was too stiff, but if I was to do it again I would really need to start with a shorter board and spend more time trying different sized trailers.

#2735580 - 01/16/18 06:35 AM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Mr J]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Mr J

All 3 had Single concaves out the back

#2735651 - 01/16/18 12:26 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Greg Griffin]
sdsurfrat Offline
Michael Peterson status

Mr J

All 3 had Single concaves out the back

Check the concave on that tailblock jam_on

#2736169 - 01/17/18 12:31 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: sdsurfrat]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

My favorite bottom of the 70's has been "Discovered "

Should have not posted this pic drowning Nah

Now I can make them again . dancing

The " Inverted Vee"

Swallow tail sketching, on a #RNF_Retro. #WeDontNeedNoStinkingTemplates.

A post shared by Matt Biolos (@mayhemb3_mattbiolos) on

#2740270 - 01/26/18 03:28 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Greg Griffin]
Colin Offline
Gerry Lopez status

I hope I’m doing it right...

#2740272 - 01/26/18 03:31 PM Re: Twin fin placement [Re: Colin]
Colin Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >