REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Joshua Tree [Re: jackcheez] #2731307
01/05/18 10:42 PM
01/05/18 10:42 PM
San Clemente
J
Joshua2415 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Joshua2415  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

San Clemente
Originally Posted By: jackcheez
Originally Posted By: Joshua2415
1. Ryan Mountain is a nice hike - approx 4.5 miles up to the peak and has incredible views.

It's a nice hike, but nowhere near that long.

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/ryan-mountain-in-joshua-tree/

I meant to say round trip...sorry. I hiked in from Sheep Pass campground, not from the trailhead at the parking lot.

Oh, and nice pics Patrolman! jam_on

Re: Joshua Tree [Re: Mr Doof] #2731319
01/05/18 11:12 PM
01/05/18 11:12 PM
San Diego
D
DerDer Offline
Michael Peterson status
DerDer  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

San Diego
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

There are many tips in the world about lightweight hiking and you can go down any sort of nerd hole, er, rabbit hole of trying them all.

I've definitely been down the nerd hole! roflmao Cuben Fiber everything, alcohol cat stoves, base weight sub 10lbs, etc!

The past few years I've laid off weighing everything to the gram and added in a few luxuries, but still keep the base weight down around 12lbs for anything more then an overnight.

Re: Joshua Tree [Re: Mr Doof] #2731332
01/05/18 11:54 PM
01/05/18 11:54 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar
If you are into travelling light but don't want to a freak about it (by weighing everything), get a luggage scale to weigh your backpack after you cram everything into it. Then start taking stuff out before you start buying the lightest things you can.

Top weight saving things:
1. UV water purifyer
2. Pak Lite
3. Decent running shoes or the like if your just going to walk on trails. Sturdy footwear for more rugged/colder hiking. Bet you could do summer PCT in California in just good shoes. As always, your mileage may vary and yeah, do a few all day hikes to see if you want to give up you trusty Limmers.
4. Olive oil for calories vs bulky food. Still need fiber though. Learn to 'skip' meals...woo, intermittent fasting computer
5. Leave the drugs at home
6. You don't need a guide book, figure it out beforehand....that is what your brain is for.
7. A friend swears by the versatility of the jungle hammock (tent and bedding in one!)
8. Embrace your inner dirty self and get over the filth factor ASAP. You do't need a clean pair of daks for every day you are on the go.
9. Leave the 454 Casull at home.

There are many tips in the world about lightweight hiking and you can go down any sort of nerd hole, er, rabbit hole of trying them all.

Just keep things simple and wait till you are climbing K2 before you go off the deep end.

Good list. Topo maps for areas where the trail might get tricky to find are a good idea. Electronic devices aren't the most reliable IMHO.

Oh yeah, only a couple changes of clothes and layers. My wife slaps me upside the head (figuratively) when I even broach the subject of cotton-based clothing. roflmao

Leave the drugs at home? drowning I proposed rolling joints instead of strapping a 4-foot bong to the back. Save you from those areas in the desert where water is limited. "Screw your dehydration - we need bong water!! roflmao

Out of curiosity, have any you done the Cactus to Clouds death march to San Jacinto? I had to take a dump just to reduce base weight just by looking at it on-line. roflmao

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: Joshua Tree [Re: Kento] #2731340
01/06/18 12:08 AM
01/06/18 12:08 AM
San Diego
D
DerDer Offline
Michael Peterson status
DerDer  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

San Diego
Originally Posted By: Kento

Out of curiosity, have any you done the Cactus to Clouds death march to San Jacinto? I had to take a dump just to reduce base weight just by looking at it on-line. roflmao

10k feet elevation in 16 miles! socrazy

I've thought about it, but I'm scared. I would need some serious training before attempting that hike.

Re: Joshua Tree [Re: Mr Doof] #2731341
01/06/18 12:37 AM
01/06/18 12:37 AM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge
If you are into travelling light but don't want to a freak about it (by weighing everything), get a luggage scale to weigh your backpack after you cram everything into it. Then start taking stuff out before you start buying the lightest things you can.

Top weight saving things:

5. Leave the drugs at home

Sounds like you've done a few border crossing "backpacking" trips if that would save you weight monkey

Re: Joshua Tree [Re: DerDer] #2731349
01/06/18 01:07 AM
01/06/18 01:07 AM
M
MitchellC Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MitchellC  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

San J from the floor avg 715' gain/mile. Each of the major E side trails (Baxter, Sawmill, Shepherd & Taboose) are steeper and top out (much) higher than San J. They also hold snow much longer than San J (except for Fuller ridge), which can make the cornices an adventure.

In addition, most people do San J as a day-hike and take the tram back down. Anyone going in via the big 4 are usually going in for multiple nights with full backpack. If you go in early season (May/June), then you also need axe & crampons ie even more weight.

If you don't have time to do the entire PCT, you can knock off sections. If you can manage walking a marathon a day, you can actually do each one (each avg around 100 miles) over a (very) long weekend. I've done parts of the desert avg 30-32 mpd. Beside the desert & N Cascades, the Sierra are the top draw. If you did the JMT, you'd cover the best section.

The way to both save weight & money is to learn how to make your own gear. (In other words, learn how to sew with a sewing machine. If you've ever repaired a wetsuit with needle & thread, you're 1/2 there.) I used to hang out @ the BPL MYOG zones years ago when I was constructing my first kits.

Lastly, if you can't find a spot inside JT, there's BLM dispersed camping just north. Spend a night there, then cruise into the park in the am to lock down a walk-in spot @ Belle, HV, et al.

Last edited by MitchellC; 01/06/18 01:08 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32