REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2910436 - 02/07/19 10:32 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: Mat6920]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
I’m still figuring it out to be honest. I haven’t ridden it a whole lot so I need to give it a real shot. I do have a slight fear it is too big for me. My last session in NJ on it was head-overhead and barreling and the board worked very good in that.

Would love to give a Mcneill a shot.

#2910440 - 02/07/19 10:37 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: Retropete]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: Retropete
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
I had the same experience with the Shapers DVS fins. I just got a set of Lovelace piggybacks but have yet to try. I’ll report back. Let me know how those go for ya, still figuring this board out
;.
The EN's work really well but I'm on a way longer board...would like to run a set of sea shepherd knock offs I have for point waves though I have a feeling the K2s would also be better since I have plenty of rail to use. Taking into acct I'm riding a 6'9" compared to your board if into more upright twins I'd be looking at Apias or Rasta/Machado twins for your board. A lot less area than the EN's. For keels I'd be going for K2's since I haven't googled the Lovelace Piggybacks yet I'm just throwing the K2's in there for future reference just in case..
My old DVS rocket fish was one of the first he ever made with a set of glassed on carbon hatchets and a small nubster glassed on trailer. Had the extreme hydro hull bottom and fluted rail on the twin pins. Was an absolute mind machine in good hollow waves...think about a turn in an upcoming section and before you finished thinking it had done the turn already.
McNeill CV2's I've had were good but I liked the RTT twin more.

Wow your OG rocket sounds pretty sweet. I do worry the aipa’s will be on the small end but I have a set somewhere to eventually try. The lovelaces seem to be a good middle ground between the k2 and aipa fins so I’m excited to try.

#2910497 - 02/07/19 11:44 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Reckon that Lovelace keel should be a marked improvement on the DVS keels.

#2910514 - 02/08/19 12:36 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
retodd Offline
Duke status

http://www.thesaltymerchants.com/twin-fins/electric-twins-keel-x7zzy

These look like the best of both worlds to me

That RL fin is just ugly to me

#2910516 - 02/08/19 12:48 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: retodd]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

I like the looks of those. Will give the Lovelace fins a shot first and see how they go.

#2910541 - 02/08/19 03:57 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

#2910650 - 02/08/19 11:46 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status

I really like the T2's on my RTT. I go between those and the Christenson keels from Capn' Fin, depending on conditions. I dont use the keels much when I'm on the East Coast.

#2910850 - 02/08/19 03:23 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: Retropete]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

#2910956 - 02/08/19 05:46 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Not too tech savvy so here's a link to another forum I could post pics on.
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surf...-not-LB?page=31
Started looking at both the Salty Merchants and Captain fin Co websites at twins.
Lots of variety available now. Thanks retro hipster dudes.

#2910962 - 02/08/19 05:57 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Fishlogan Offline
Grom

I've got a dvs 5'6 rocket fish and a 5'7 hydro hull. The hull has glassed ins. Very different baords.
I found the dvs shapers fins in the rocket fish quite stiff. Be good in solid surf. But I used the new Rasta keels in the rocket fish in small surf and that loosened up the board heaps.
But rocket fishs surf almost like a single fin. Especially with the v out the back.

#2910973 - 02/08/19 06:22 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: Retropete]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: Retropete
Not too tech savvy so here's a link to another forum I could post pics on.
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surf...-not-LB?page=31
Started looking at both the Salty Merchants and Captain fin Co websites at twins.
Lots of variety available now. Thanks retro hipster dudes.

Nice board! Yeah I got to agree with you on the increase in fin options for twins. When I started to get really into them there wasn’t much options available, especially for HP twins.

#2911381 - 02/10/19 02:32 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Really enjoying the rocket fish...especially with the EN's in it. Some nice overhead beachbreak waves this am and the board loves a late drop and an open face.
Great board in longer lengths for bigger/older/taller guys that want to ride an alternative type of board in good waves.

#2915580 - Yesterday at 04:01 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Njryan Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Hoping to get some advice.... currently on the Gold Coast and picked up a DVS Quad skate from the boardroom. Board came with the DVS keel fins, took the board out this am during a high tide Greenmount session. Had some good moments and other times felt the board lacked drive. Again def a little weak with the tide, but feel a better fin set will work better. I haven’t had fcs in 8 years and if someone has this board or any advice with fcs I’d appreciate the help. cheers

Edited by Njryan (Yesterday at 04:02 AM)

#2915787 - Yesterday at 01:20 PM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

With the quad skate's wide tail I prefer twin fins in the front with gxqs, DVS sidebites or M3s in the rear plugs. Depends upon how much hold you require in the tail.
I've ridden the DVS quad keels in many different boards and have found some I didn't mind them in but invariably found a different set of fins that worked better. I would find they would have an unpredictable release when you least wanted them to as well.
Even a regular set of quad fins (erring on the larger templates due to tail width) would be preferrable to the quad keels imho. Drop back in and see Ant and see if he's happy to swap them for another set of fins.
One way or another looks like today may be the last chance to ride it for a few days at least. Normally when I buy a new board a flat spell is guaranteed. Well played: anywhere from 10-25' inbound from later today.

#2916121 - Today at 02:24 AM Re: Fins for a DVS rocket fish [Re: manbearpig]
Njryan Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Thanks RetroPete super helpful. Heading back to NJ on Friday morning so I’ll get some fins back in the states. Looks like it’s gonna to get big fast... stoked to have brought my stretch 2x4.

Did give it a go at a punchy beach break this am and had better results, but def a better fin will make this beauty magic.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >