REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? #2720232
12/07/17 02:01 PM
12/07/17 02:01 PM
Sao Paulo/Brazil
B
brukuns Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
brukuns  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
B

Sao Paulo/Brazil
Looking into this new model from DHD, the 3DV. Looks pretty f*ing awesome and I'm considering getting one (probably a 5'11''). Haven't found any ride reports on the internets though. Anyone ridden it?

http://dhdsurf.com/surfboards/3dv/

My concern is that it turns out to be a small wave short board, I'm looking for more of a DD up to overhead surf.

cheers

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2720493
12/07/17 10:43 PM
12/07/17 10:43 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
...or the 3DX?

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2720497
12/07/17 10:51 PM
12/07/17 10:51 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

that rocker does not look like a small wave board.

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: rts265] #2720709
12/08/17 01:05 PM
12/08/17 01:05 PM
Sao Paulo/Brazil
B
brukuns Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
brukuns  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
B

Sao Paulo/Brazil
Originally Posted By: Maz
...or the 3DX?

The 3DV seems like it's pretty much a 3DX with a vee in the tail.

Originally Posted By: rts265

I know. But if you check DHD's vimeo video of that board, that title says "small wave board"... It does carry decent volume, the standard 6'0'' runs at 32l.

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2721616
12/11/17 02:48 PM
12/11/17 02:48 PM
D
DroppingOn Offline
Nep status
DroppingOn  Offline
Nep status
D

Originally Posted By: brukuns
...or the 3DX?

I know. But if you check DHD's vimeo video of that board, that title says "small wave board"... It does carry decent volume, the standard 6'0'' runs at 32l.

Yes, trust the marketing video beer . Of course the shaper is going to tell you it's a "small wave board that also works in good waves" and then proceed to show you "small wave" surfing in shoulder-head high snapper. If you surf well it will surf well. If you surf shit it will surf shit. Also just because a 6'0 has 32L doesn't mean it's going to light up in waist high crap. My 6'1 32L Stretch 2x4 sure won't.

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: DroppingOn] #2721636
12/11/17 03:27 PM
12/11/17 03:27 PM
Sao Paulo/Brazil
B
brukuns Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
brukuns  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
B

Sao Paulo/Brazil
Originally Posted By: DroppingOn
...or the 3DX?

Yes, trust the marketing video beer . Of course the shaper is going to tell you it's a "small wave board that also works in good waves" and then proceed to show you "small wave" surfing in shoulder-head high snapper. If you surf well it will surf well. If you surf shit it will surf shit. Also just because a 6'0 has 32L doesn't mean it's going to light up in waist high crap. My 6'1 32L Stretch 2x4 sure won't.

Difference is Stretch's boards do usually care some more volume whereas DHD's don't.

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2721709
12/11/17 06:51 PM
12/11/17 06:51 PM
Australia
Z
Zander Offline
Nep status
Zander  Offline
Nep status
Z

Australia
Looked at these the other day. They are all around so-cal boards.

Ive said this before Gold Coast small waves =\= California small waves. Chest head high punchy waves on the Gold coastbare considered small. Gold Coast shapers makes refined boards for steep punchy surf not mushy Cardiff or wherever you surf. Gold Coast waves are steep, hollow, and punchy even at 1ft

Darrens small wave boards in general all work into the head high to overhead range for socal surf. Get one. You wont be disappointed unless you are surfing so cal grovel surf

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2721711
12/11/17 06:53 PM
12/11/17 06:53 PM
Australia
Z
Zander Offline
Nep status
Zander  Offline
Nep status
Z

Australia

Ive said this before Gold Coast small waves =\= California small waves. Chest head high punchy waves on the Gold coastbare considered small. Gold Coast shapers makes refined boards for steep punchy surf not mushy Cardiff or wherever you surf. Gold Coast waves are steep, hollow, and punchy even at 1ft

Darrens small wave boards in general all work into the head high to overhead range for socal surf. Get one. You wont be disappointed unless you are surfing so cal grovel surf

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: Zander] #2721721
12/11/17 07:34 PM
12/11/17 07:34 PM
Sao Paulo/Brazil
B
brukuns Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
brukuns  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
B

Sao Paulo/Brazil
Originally Posted By: Zander

Thanks Zander, that crossed my mind. I'm digging this design, will try to feel one up before commiting.

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2721801
12/11/17 09:32 PM
12/11/17 09:32 PM
Australia
Z
Zander Offline
Nep status
Zander  Offline
Nep status
Z

Australia
Originally Posted By: Zander

Thanks Zander, that crossed my mind. I'm digging this design, will try to feel one up before commiting.

The 3dv and the 3dx are almost exactly the same. The 3dx is wider, more volume, no vee and comes with a 5 fun set up. The 3dv is a thruster less width and volume and has vee out the tail.

Have yet to see anyone riding one in person. Slightly off topic but the Dx1 is the most ridden model on the Gold Coast by the pros and Bros and is hard to go wrong with. The 3d series is a bit more user friendly or so it seems. Not sure where in socal to go feel one up though

Re: DHD 3DV - Anyone ridden it? [Re: brukuns] #2721967
12/12/17 03:59 AM
12/12/17 03:59 AM
San Diego, CA
C
CloseOutBs Offline
Grom
CloseOutBs  Offline
Grom
C

San Diego, CA
Just got a DHD Ducks Nuts DNA that I love in good surf with some push. Definitely has its lower limits. Will agree its not good when the waves get soft. But I have other boards for that.

The Journey is the Destination