REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Foils in Crowded Lineups #2706102
11/02/17 07:37 PM
11/02/17 07:37 PM
Kaimukisia
S
SenorBlues Offline OP
Grom
SenorBlues  Offline OP
Grom
S

Kaimukisia
I took the dog for a walk yesterday afternoon at probably the only place that was rideable in Town. It's a multi-use spot, more longboarders than shortboarders usually and windsurfers and kiters once the wind picks up. Surf schools on the inside when it's small.

There were between 30 and 40 people including the surf school out in the mostly thigh to waist high surf. There were 3 foilboarders out, 2 SUP foils and 1 prone. They were all proficient and catching waves, covering a lot of ground AND weaving in and out of the crowd at high speed.

To be honest, it looked fun for how shitty the waves were and it makes regular SUPing look like more of a donkey show than it already is. My concern is every SUPer with the means is going to jump on the bandwagon (think K-uno) and with their apparent lack of concern regarding safety, bad shit is sure happen. To further clarify, there are empty reefs immediately to the east and west where they could have gone but they chose to be surf in the middle of the crowd.

"If you stumble, make it part of the dance."
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706126
11/02/17 08:05 PM
11/02/17 08:05 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Lemmings
Sheep
Humans

My wife and I go to a neat lil beach on Kauai's north shore. Empty, quiet, dog goes up into the Naupaka bush and crashes. We go snorkeling, watch a few turtles, cruise around inbetween the small little sandy channels watching little fish and poke at things.

And it doesn't take very long for someone to plop their azz down right next to us when they have an entire, White Sandy Beach to choose from. They, decide to sit right next to us. WHY? Just beats the phuck out of me and .... we've even moved to a different location and it doesn't bother them one bit!
I gues it's Location. Location. Location mentality.

I have no problem in being rude now days and I tell them that there's a whole dam beach and that they need to move and get the phuck away, turn your radio down with the tinny sounding speakers and pick up their dirty
diapers floating at the waters edge along with the kids poop.

Human's gravitate ... safety in numbers ....
So I'm presuming the same for your area

K--uno goes to places where other Foils operate, understands the "local" governance of shortboards, longboards and Sup's in the line up. Hell, he's up and on the road in the early AM and in the ocean finding lil reef breaks.
And Having the most FUN ..... on ALL of his watercraft's
And hanging around my cousin ... ain't such a bad thing either on Maui.

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706154
11/02/17 08:55 PM
11/02/17 08:55 PM
Kaimukisia
S
SenorBlues Offline OP
Grom
SenorBlues  Offline OP
Grom
S

Kaimukisia
Yeah sorry, I should have been able to resist poke K-uno but old habits die hard.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706219
11/02/17 10:14 PM
11/02/17 10:14 PM
Moon
B
Bonzer5Fin Offline
Duke status
Bonzer5Fin  Offline
Duke status
B

Moon
That fag's in the water more than any of us, living on Maui, and laughing. Good for that son of a bitch.
Foil surfing in crowds, though, not a good thing.

Surfers killed surfing.

"all your sisters belong to me." -- subway
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706336
11/03/17 01:24 AM
11/03/17 01:24 AM
S
slopokecr Offline
Billy Hamilton status
slopokecr  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

Cliffs.
Those foilers consider themselves elite.
Arrogance is the problem.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: slopokecr] #2706424
11/03/17 06:35 AM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
We invaded Kanaha this week on the foils. Normally we're 1 reef over at Ka'a, but Kanaha looked alittle better. Not too many foilers been out there, it's normally a SUP/LB spot and since most of the good SUP crew is now exclusively foiling. So the void has been filled by mostly beginners on SUPs that all the surf shops tell them to go.

Not too crowded, about 20 out total. There were just 2 of us on foils. I was prone and Junya with paddle in hand. We were sending it deep, from top of reef all the way through flat section and to the channel. Criss crossing a couple times on a few...having a blast as usual.

It was odd... most just sat back and watched the show. But yea, we're not foiling normal "surf" spots that are crowded. We're off at distant spots that surfers wouldn't think of surfing.

But that's just here on Maui. I'm sure there's spots on the mainland that are great foil waves that some of those getting into the sport will find. There's plenty that come to mind, especially spots north of Point Conception and in SD.

On another note, my loaner from DK had it's Tuttle box fail yesterday. The mast is supposed to be at 90 degrees. shocked

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706425
S
Sniper Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Sniper  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

I had a very bad experience with a foiler a few months ago. I paddled out after work, about 5 oclock after watching it for an hour. It was remnant big south swell and there were 4 foot sets every 15 to 20 minutes with the inside really consistent 2 foot. There were pretty much 5 guys in the inside catching a ton of waves and the foiler and a few long boarders and 4 guys waiting for the bombs. Pretty crowded but as soon as the foiler caught a wave while I was paddling out wide he almost ran into me full speed. I literally slipped off my board and swam to the bottom. When wave passed and I came up the guy was super apologetic. I said dude, you better go in. He didnt say anything but he went in.

Last week there were 3 foilers out at the same spot that knew what they were doing. I rode behind them on every wave and they never even came within 10 feet of me. I was literally packing 3 second barrels and coming out and doing a turn way on the shoulder and they were always way ahead of me. All 3 if those guys are used to taking over said spot on regular sups and they are the worst. Now that they are on foils they are literally out of the way. It might get really bad soon once more people start foiling. Supposedly its like crack. Will report back when I get mine.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706480
11/03/17 03:02 PM
11/03/17 03:02 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
The whole reason to foil is get away from the crowd and still be able to do something that resembles surfing.

Crowds bum me out so hard now.

They always did but now I don't like to surf because of it.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706481
11/03/17 03:04 PM
11/03/17 03:04 PM
South Coast, UK
T
Tomdiddly Offline
Grom
Tomdiddly  Offline
Grom
T

South Coast, UK
what I suppose is my 'local' is a tight little harbour break, and one guy has started riding a foil SUP in there with up to 20-30 people in the water. bloody dangerous! SUPs are bad enough because they take off so far out and go straight through the middle of the lineup for longboarders, and then the lineup for the shortboarders. The foil is 10 times worse because he's just straight lining trying to get above the water, it's up to everyone else to either squeeze between him and the wall or paddle way out of position. Needless to say I've not surfed there in quite a while...

That being said there were a couple of prone foilers surfing manu bay when I was in raglan, and they were taking off DEEP, on waves nobody wanted, and flying along getting no closer than 15 feet to people. Responsible. Didn't look as fun as a regular board though, but that's not my problem!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2706508
11/03/17 03:33 PM
11/03/17 03:33 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
I really hope it stays in HI

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: ifallalot] #2706511
11/03/17 03:37 PM
11/03/17 03:37 PM
R
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

unfortunately, saw on at a popular beach.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: ifallalot] #2706513
11/03/17 03:38 PM
11/03/17 03:38 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i

roflmao dancing shaka

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2706539
11/03/17 04:23 PM
11/03/17 04:23 PM
San Buena Ventura
S
SrPato Offline
Miki Dora status
SrPato  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

San Buena Ventura
Last week on the South shore of Kauai, there was a SUP foil rider on a consistent reef break. He was damn good and played by the rules. Not hogging the waves, rotating with us and not chancing last second drop in's in front of us. At the end of each wave he would pump the board up and down, nearly back to the lineup. It was very impressive and gave me a new respect for his sport. On the other hand, we have two SUP foilers that have have claimed one of our favorite local spots at home and they have no etiquette what so ever. It's really frustrating, especially since these guys were bad enough as regular SUP'ers. I guess I'll have to pull a Snake Plissken and start wearing a personal arsenal in the water. fight

Sr Pato

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: PPK96754] #2706580
11/03/17 04:56 PM
11/03/17 04:56 PM
H
Homie Offline
Miki Dora status
Homie  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Originally Posted By: PPK96754

And it doesn't take very long for someone to plop their azz down right next to us when they have an entire, White Sandy Beach to choose from. They, decide to sit right next to us. WHY? Just beats the phuck out of me and .... we've even moved to a different location and it doesn't bother them one bit!

The same thing happens to me when I park my car, no matter where I park or how deep out I park someone pulls up next to me and does something like eat their lunch or talk on their phone. People are idiots!!!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2706588
11/03/17 05:22 PM
11/03/17 05:22 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
the janitor  Offline
T

north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: Kaser1

Not too crowded, about 20 out total. There were just 2 of us on foils. I was prone and Junya with paddle in hand. We were sending it deep, from top of reef all the way through flat section and to the channel. Criss crossing a couple times on a few...having a blast as usual.

How hard is it to paddle back to the top of the reef if you are prone?

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: ifallalot] #2706599
11/03/17 05:44 PM
11/03/17 05:44 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...

dancing that! it's scourge has already made it out to the atlantic.

dealing with 2 on sups and one proner, as well as the kiters and windsurfers who are doing it now on super small days.

used to be able ot surf alone on the days it's boarderline for kitibg/windsurfing... i'd go and get mine while they waited for the wind to kick up. now? F-UCKING HUUUUUGE KITE/SAIL AND THE FOIL... WEEEEEEE!!! NOT!!!

they are dangerous. just like SUPs are. not so much more than a normal board mind you, but when you put a normal board in the hands of the uninnitiated they basically just flounder around and float. SUPs and these things? yeah..... loser drowning fight shameonyou

keep your fun from ruining other peoples fun, and there should never be any problems.

it's when your fun basically runs into and over everyone elses fun that the problems begin.

this said, if you can control your board i have absolutely no problem what you ride.

if you are a danger? keep far, far, far away from me. i hit back. nana

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707123
11/05/17 01:30 AM
11/05/17 01:30 AM
Gig Harbor
S
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status
shiver_me_timbers  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
My friend who I'm going to Kauai with next week is a foiler, but prefers to stay away from crowds. He is obsessed, says it is all he thinks about.

Foils look interesting but they sketch me out. I still think we're 3 evolutions, or 4 years from foils being completely adopted and more user friendly.

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Homie] #2707247
11/05/17 01:57 PM
11/05/17 01:57 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: Homie

The same thing happens to me when I park my car, no matter where I park or how deep out I park someone pulls up next to me and does something like eat their lunch or talk on their phone. People are idiots!!!

000'd

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707248
11/05/17 01:58 PM
11/05/17 01:58 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Anybody seen the picture of the guy with his face literally half cut off by a foil board?

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: the janitor] #2707254
11/05/17 02:16 PM
11/05/17 02:16 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: the janitor

How hard is it to paddle back to the top of the reef if you are prone?

Depends on what board you have attached to your foil. I recently broke the box that holds the foil on a board I was riding that was an 8ft converted SUP. It's about 28" wide and probably 4" thick. I could knee paddle it back out which was nice.

I'm now on a borrowed 7'2 egg that's about 2.5" thick and it's alot of work. Most foil spots are at least .5 mile out, and you're riding waves that far.

So at least here on Maui, foam is your friend. wink

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707255
11/05/17 02:23 PM
11/05/17 02:23 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: GromsDad] #2707268
11/05/17 03:04 PM
11/05/17 03:04 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Anybody seen the picture of the guy with his face literally half cut off by a foil board?

Yes, all sports are dangerous. Surfboards themselves can do damage too.

wave2

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707334
11/05/17 04:45 PM
11/05/17 04:45 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Cuts to the head bleed a lot and heal fast

I cut my scalp and I had so much blood. The water was filled with blood. I looked way worse than that guy.

Not that it's a competition but it if was I would have won.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: ifallalot] #2707440
11/05/17 09:45 PM
11/05/17 09:45 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

We were hoping that the Missionaries would have stayed in the "New World"

poke
nana
hat

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707497
11/05/17 11:33 PM
11/05/17 11:33 PM
G
goingout Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
goingout  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

This perhaps could be called the "observational phase" we are beginning to see
these things coming out into the line-ups.

I have yet to see one in the waves at the breaks I go to on Oahu, but I only go to
a few different spots.

Short story....
I did see a kite-boarder come past me one day at my local spot, semi-older guy who seemed
kinda like he was still figuring it out. The wind was not too strong that afternoon and he had what
looked like a medium size kite, anyway he made one starboard tack seaward bound passing
outside of us surfers in the line-up and then tacked back in towards us just outside the surf line-up.
Note: There is a rough small coral bench island that this surf break is off of, one must give plenty
of leeway to this island as the trade-winds and current will take one into it's nasty backside.
On his way back past us on his second tack he must have lost speed and fell and his kite went down in such a way that he couldn't get it back up in the air, as he had a foil-board it must have made it more difficult for a re-start. Anyway, as you can guess a small set comes in and he has to release his kite as he is being taken into the backside of the island. One of my buddies tries to go for the "equipment rescue" but no way does one want to mess with a run-away kite and those lines.
The island "ate" the kite and lines for an afternoon snack, the special of the day Shredded raw Polyester served with Polyethylene vermicelli. The kiter hung onto his foil-board and swam it
back in thru the line-up. I think I asked him if he was ok, just to make sure, but he wasn't even close to getting hurt himself, it was his equipment loss that was pain full to watch.

A little off-topic, but there was a foil-board involved and it came thru the line-up

....slowly being pushed in...

.....I am goingoutside now.....

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707618
11/06/17 02:17 AM
11/06/17 02:17 AM
Moon
B
Bonzer5Fin Offline
Duke status
Bonzer5Fin  Offline
Duke status
B

Moon
I can't wait to cruise through Mid Point on one.

Surfers killed surfing.

"all your sisters belong to me." -- subway
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2707711
11/06/17 11:49 AM
11/06/17 11:49 AM
W
wormburner Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
wormburner  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

get hit by a sup or foil. theres always a lawyer.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: wormburner] #2708882
11/08/17 02:45 PM
11/08/17 02:45 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
So i was able to try a surfboard conversion last week. This is a 7'2 Southpoint popout. Such a different ride than the 8ft SUP conversion from before. Alot less volume, the foil flew easier. but the paddle back out was a bitchh. Almost made it such a pain I didn't want to surf that board. Luckily I could ride up to the boat dock and get out and walk back up to the reef in the harbor.

Yesterday I was able to borrow a 7'8 x 25" x 3.5" SUP conversion that worked like a dream. Easy paddler, not too much volume, and had a pointy nose so the swing weight up front felt good.

Stocked to be able to try different shapes to better understand what works and what doesn't for what I wanna do. dancing wave2

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2708893
11/08/17 02:58 PM
11/08/17 02:58 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
and just in case you've not seen it.

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710206
11/10/17 09:17 PM
11/10/17 09:17 PM
R
revo17 Offline
Grom
revo17  Offline
Grom
R

Is it hard to pump that 7'8 x 25" x 3.5" SUP ?

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710262
11/10/17 11:08 PM
11/10/17 11:08 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
SUPs were foiling around the bay all morning. Those riders go twice as fast as the wave and dont turn on a dime. Amazing to watch, probably amazing to ride.

I was a little bit smarter and quicker than everyone else, so I've been able to live the way I've wanted to live - Mickey Dora
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: revo17] #2710397
11/11/17 04:09 PM
11/11/17 04:09 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: revo17

"Hard" is relative. I've not ridden a shortboard and foil so I have not much to compare to. Actually this board is the smallest SUP board I've prone foiled.

Got the message yesterday that my custom Kalama shape is done at the glasser. Picking it up today. I'll post some pics and design explanation later. I went with 7'6"x 22"x 3.5". I went with more foam for easier paddling. Your foil sessions include long rides that translate to long paddles. wave2

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: JEwing] #2710398
11/11/17 04:10 PM
11/11/17 04:10 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: JEwing
SUPs were foiling around the bay all morning. Those riders go twice as fast as the wave and dont turn on a dime. Amazing to watch, probably amazing to ride.

and by "the bay" you're referring to where? Doubt you mean Honolua... thought

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710400
11/11/17 04:13 PM
11/11/17 04:13 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Hanalei or possibly Nawiliwili Bay out front of the hotel where he and his wife were staying ...

wave2

Want to buy! Hot item. Hard to find. Cousin / distributor, in Numoto goofing off .... cussing bawling

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710403
11/11/17 04:21 PM
11/11/17 04:21 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point

"Hard" is relative. I've not ridden a shortboard and foil so I have not much to compare to. Actually this board is the smallest SUP board I've prone foiled.

Got the message yesterday that my custom Kalama shape is done at the glasser. Picking it up today. I'll post some pics and design explanation later. I went with 7'6"x 22"x 3.5". I went with more foam for easier paddling. Your foil sessions include long rides that translate to long paddles. wave2

The one young dude looked like he's prone paddle surfing/foiling on a wake board now.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710461
11/11/17 06:49 PM
11/11/17 06:49 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted By: JEwing

and by "the bay" you're referring to where? Doubt you mean Honolua... thought

Well .... he may mean Honolua seeing that he's on Maui NOW ~ nana

facelick

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710477
11/11/17 07:47 PM
11/11/17 07:47 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
Thats Nawiliwili Bay. Short interval 2 foot mush.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: PPK96754] #2710731
11/12/17 03:03 PM
11/12/17 03:03 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Hanalei or possibly Nawiliwili Bay out front of the hotel where he and his wife were staying ...

wave2

Want to buy! Hot item. Hard to find. Cousin / distributor, in Numoto goofing off .... cussing bawling

Picked up my new 7'6" sled yesterday. wave2

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710758
11/12/17 05:13 PM
11/12/17 05:13 PM
S
Sniper Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Sniper  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

The guy I get boards from on Maui, Sky Surfboards,was telling me that the two Maui kids who test his foil designs for Fanatic dont even like going surfing in their foils. They are all about down winding from Maliko gulch. Is that your main reason for the SUP? Or is it just about being able to go way out to the outer reefs with the paddle? I just ordered a 54 by 22 by 3.25 prone foil board but am waiting to buy one of the new Fanatic foils as they will only be 900 bucks. A well know guy here on the south side is out of the water with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung after taking a go foil to the side while learning. He said wear an impact suit and full face helmet while learning. What do you think about that?

Last edited by Sniper; 11/12/17 05:14 PM.
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710810
11/12/17 07:39 PM
11/12/17 07:39 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
i think scrap the saftey suit, one more surfer outta the line-ups while they heal.

#suitsyourightclownie

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SurfFuerte] #2710877
11/12/17 11:37 PM
11/12/17 11:37 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

After seeing this complete set up with a hands on ~
And drooling more than my dog does, and the board is so light too
I can go Quad and surf the board or put the mast and wings on and go foil
Just my personal thoughts and feelings, but I have to understand it's not surfing (so I was told)
But about the mechanics of "flying" and the foils under one's feet.

~ ~ An aircraft in flight is free to rotate in three dimensions: pitch, nose up or down about an axis running from wing to wing; yaw, nose left or right about an axis running up and down; and roll, rotation about an axis running from nose to tail. The axes are alternatively designated as lateral, vertical, and longitudinal. These axes move with the vehicle and rotate relative to the Earth along with the craft. These definitions were analogously applied to spacecraft when the first manned spacecraft were designed in the late 1950s.

These rotations are produced by torques (or moments) about the principal axes. On an aircraft, these are intentionally produced by means of moving control surfaces, which vary the distribution of the net aerodynamic force about the vehicle's center of mass. Elevators (moving flaps on the horizontal tail) produce pitch, a rudder on the vertical tail produces yaw, and ailerons (flaps on the wings that move in opposing directions) produce roll. On a spacecraft, the moments are usually produced by a reaction control system consisting of small rocket thrusters used to apply asymmetrical thrust on the vehicle. ~ Wikipedia aircraft axes

confused2

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710890
11/12/17 11:48 PM
11/12/17 11:48 PM
S
Sniper Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Sniper  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Scott McKercher used to sell me his old windsurf boards for 200 bucks. Saved my ass before I got sponsored!! Good to see he is still designing 20 years later!!! Is that the board from the Kalapaki shot?

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Sniper] #2710988
11/13/17 08:01 AM
11/13/17 08:01 AM
G
goingout Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
goingout  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Originally Posted By: Sniper
The guy I get boards from on Maui, Sky Surfboards,was telling me that the two Maui kids who test his foil designs for Fanatic dont even like going surfing in their foils. They are all about down winding from Maliko gulch. Is that your main reason for the SUP? Or is it just about being able to go way out to the outer reefs with the paddle? I just ordered a 54 by 22 by 3.25 prone foil board but am waiting to buy one of the new Fanatic foils as they will only be 900 bucks. A well know guy here on the south side is out of the water with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung after taking a go foil to the side while learning. He said wear an impact suit and full face helmet while learning. What do you think about that?

"3 broken ribs and a punctured lung" Good that he lived to tell about it.

Every thing one does has a risk factor, from walking to your mail box to get the daily
mail to wing-suit base jumping. Make up your own scale from 1-100, like maybe 1 being the lowest risk factor such as waking up and getting out of bed, and just go up the scale all the way to 100, you fill in the blanks, it's on a personal scale, you pick the number for the activity you are doing. Don't forget to factor in ALL the things that
can go wrong, and if you are still young factor in the lack of experience, and if you
are older factor in the delayed reaction time. Like the saying goes "There are bold "pilots" and there are old "pilots" but there are no old, bold "pilots".

Any time you add more stuff (like sharp edges) to the risk factor equation, the numbers
must go up the scale not down.

One example of risk factor amplification is the activity of kite-boarding. Do an internet
search for kite-boarding fatalities and serious injuries, it's not pretty. Then go to Youtube and watch a few kite-board crash compilations. Again not pretty.

I know the above example is off the topic of this thread, it is just one example of higher risk level activity compared just surfing, for instance, however, hydro-foiling and the equipment that is used in this activity will "up" the numbers in the scale, remember the
number will go up, not down.

Now factor in " Foils in Crowded Lineups" now, you have to up the risk factor numbers AGAIN, because there are other people now in closer proximity to the Foils and the "sharp edges". Numbers are going to go up, not down. Now add more Foils to the line-ups, and again the risk factor increases twofold etc.

And don't forget to factor in the real possibility that the movement of the Foils thru the water may create hydro-acoustic, low frequency sound waves which may attract certain large "fishes". Not to mention the sometimes up-and-down movements of the Foils and
the visual attraction of what the Foil might look like to these certain large "fish".

....I am goingoutside now....to do some risk factor management....have fun and be safe!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710994
11/13/17 10:44 AM
11/13/17 10:44 AM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
locally, the marrajo is caught by filing down a piece of metal and making it into something very similar to the front slab of metal on foils. "it waves up and down in the water and resembles the belly of a yellow fin tuna, the bigger marrajos like that and go straight up from depth for the center, looking for liver".... is what he said if my memory suits me correctly.

google marrrajo.

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710995
11/13/17 10:46 AM
R
revo17 Offline
Grom
revo17  Offline
Grom
R

Thanks, let me know how your new custom shape works! What's the volume roughly of that board?

I'm wondering can you pump it to the next wave like Kai Lenny smile Assuming rider is not Kai Lenny, but has decent skills.

Here we have weak wind waves only. So I'm thinking about buying something like Hypernut 7'4x30x4 @106L and prone surf it with foil. Width is not going to be very comfortable, but it should definitely help with initial stability and wave catchability. I tried 6'10@48L FunEgg without much of success in small mush. It worked pretty well in steeper bigger waves with foil, but I prefer to ride regular boards in such conditions.

Last edited by revo17; 11/13/17 12:03 PM.
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710996
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
i think you call them Makos...

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Sniper] #2711012
11/13/17 03:08 PM
11/13/17 03:08 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: Sniper

That might have something to do with the foil design from Fanatic, or maybe it's the kids preference as to why they don't like to surf them. So there's that..

I foil with friends that SUP foil. Which means I have to paddle long distances to the spots we go. Most of which are over .5 mile out just to the top of the reef. I've tried a "normal" surfboard with a foil and it wrecked my neck and shoulders with all the paddling.

GoFoil is now releasing it's 2.0 models so you'll see it's first designs hitting Craigslist. There's one this morning here on Maui I just saw, you can get the Maliko for $1000, which retail new for $1600. So if you're thinking of getting in on it, now is a good time to get used gear.

Yes, there's risk involved to getting hurt...the "well known guy" was he just learning? Everybody has to start from the beginning. Not too much surfing experience comes into play other than catching the wave. The playing field when learning is pretty level. I'd say those that have downwind experience have an advantage once you figure out how to ride one. I'm just recently beginning to connect bumps when the wave flattens out and you look for more energy sources to keep you going.

Yes wearing an impact vest and helmet would be a good idea, but not mandatory. The best thing you could do when learning, understand when its time to eject. Learning to fall safely is where I started. Knowing when its time to bail away from the board will keep you safer. You can't "save" it like to do on a surfboard.

Couple pics from yesterday on the new board...

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: revo17] #2711015
11/13/17 03:25 PM
11/13/17 03:25 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i

Thanks, let me know how your new custom shape works! What's the volume roughly of that board?

I'm wondering can you pump it to the next wave like Kai Lenny smile Assuming rider is not Kai Lenny, but has decent skills.

Here we have weak wind waves only. So I'm thinking about buying something like Hypernut 7'4x30x4 @106L and prone surf it with foil. Width is not going to be very comfortable, but it should definitely help with initial stability and wave catchability. I tried 6'10@48L FunEgg without much of success in small mush. It worked pretty well in steeper bigger waves with foil, but I prefer to ride regular boards in such conditions.

Pumping back out to another wave is pretty tough on a bigger board. Those small boards Kai rides are easier to pump. I've seen a couple SUP guys do it, but they're also using the paddle when pumping.

Paddling a 30" wide board isn't going to be comfortable. I'd recommend getting a regular surfboard that works for your paddling and installing the box or track system to hold the foil mast. You can buy the Tuttle box for about $65 and pay anywhere from $100-$200 to have it installed.

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2711016
11/13/17 03:44 PM
11/13/17 03:44 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
That pumping must create some pretty horrible muscle imbalances.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2711495
11/14/17 01:45 PM
11/14/17 01:45 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
That pumping must create some pretty horrible muscle imbalances.

yep, i have to hop on my right leg for an hour to balance everything out. roflmao jam_on rock

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2711497
11/14/17 02:02 PM
11/14/17 02:02 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
I saw one of these in use for the first time ever at Sunset Cliffs yesterday. Looked 1000x more fun than SUP, even in tiny shit waves.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2711501
11/14/17 02:12 PM
11/14/17 02:12 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
I saw one of these in use for the first time ever at Sunset Cliffs yesterday. Looked 1000x more fun than SUP, even in tiny shit waves.

If I lived in SD, I'd foil the shyte outa SSC. I love that area for surf.

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2712311
11/16/17 09:56 AM
11/16/17 09:56 AM
R
revo17 Offline
Grom
revo17  Offline
Grom
R

Thanks, I think I should get something like 6'9 x 23 HYPER NUT carbon SUP and try to prone surf foil it.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: revo17] #2712331
11/16/17 02:15 PM
11/16/17 02:15 PM
JAX BCH FLA.
J
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status
jbd  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

JAX BCH FLA.
Serious question, aren't you guy worried about that damn foil hitting your head or someone else?
I know I've almost cut my head off a few times with my log fin, and I've seen my buddy slice his head in half with a quad setup awhile back. Or do you not ride those in bigger surf? Just flat surf only maybe? just curious.....foil looks deadly.
or maybe I'm just a snowflake....ha!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: PPK96754] #2712332
11/16/17 02:16 PM
11/16/17 02:16 PM
P
PacoR Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
PacoR  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
P

So what determines the length of the vertical piece, the distance between the foil and the board? All boards seem to be the same.

wave2

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2712479
11/16/17 05:59 PM
11/16/17 05:59 PM
M
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status
Mr_Stagger_Lee  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

Seems like there is a way to engineer out the puncture danger from these but I cant see anyway to eliminate the dangers from slicing yo ass up!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2712630
11/17/17 12:33 AM
11/17/17 12:33 AM
Gig Harbor
S
Phil Edwards status
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
After spending a week in PPK's neighborhood and seeing how many foils are flying around Middles, its obvious to me that foils are here to stay. They're more exciting than SUP by far, and very adaptable to every discipline (kite, windsurf, prone paddle, SUP, etc). Where I was struggling to paddle in on a 9'6" SUP, my buddy on the foil (that's his board that PPK posted) was taking two or three paddles and then pumping the foil onto the wave and taking off.

Sunset Cliffs will be a great place for foiling, especially at high tide when its not quite breaking.

While surfing I saw Laird and someone else in his little aluminum boat, coming back in, with foils in the boat. So I guess you can continue to blame him. wink

Pretty cool to see the enthusiasm of the foiling tribe. Its refreshing to see so much stock.

Here is a pic of TJ foiling last week on a non-breaking swell. If you want a foil, he is a distributor (except for HI). PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. No, I don't get any $$ for that.

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance." - John Petit-Senn
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2712649
11/17/17 01:04 AM
11/17/17 01:04 AM
M
MoreWaves Offline
Grom
MoreWaves  Offline
Grom
M

Kayaks, SUPs and now Foils! Anything else?

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: shiver_me_timbers] #2712674
11/17/17 02:28 AM
11/17/17 02:28 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: shiver_me_timbers
After spending a week in PPK's neighborhood and seeing how many foils are flying around Middles, its obvious to me that foils are here to stay. They're more exciting than SUP by far, and very adaptable to every discipline (kite, windsurf, prone paddle, SUP, etc). Where I was struggling to paddle in on a 9'6" SUP, my buddy on the foil (that's his board that PPK posted) was taking two or three paddles and then pumping the foil onto the wave and taking off.

Sunset Cliffs will be a great place for foiling, especially at high tide when its not quite breaking.

While surfing I saw Laird and someone else in his little aluminum boat, coming back in, with foils in the boat. So I guess you can continue to blame him. wink

Pretty cool to see the enthusiasm of the foiling tribe. Its refreshing to see so much stock.

Here is a pic of TJ foiling last week on a non-breaking swell. If you want a foil, he is a distributor (except for HI). PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. No, I don't get any $$ for that.

To me, the cool thing about the foil is you don't need to surf quality waves in a crowded line up.

That is exciting at this point.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2712739
11/17/17 05:17 AM
11/17/17 05:17 AM
Gig Harbor
S
Phil Edwards status
Phil Edwards status
S

Gig Harbor
^^precisely. TJ doesn't even want SUP waves. He says if SUPs are janitors, he's a recycler, taking the janitor's trash and making it into something usable.

Surfers really shouldn't have a problem with that mindset.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Autoprax] #2712746
11/17/17 06:34 AM
11/17/17 06:34 AM
G
goingout Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
goingout  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Originally Posted By: Autoprax
Originally Posted By: shiver_me_timbers

To me, the cool thing about the foil is you don't need to surf quality waves in a crowded line up.

That is exciting at this point.

Yep, the cool thing about foils is they don't need to surf quality waves in a crowded line up.....

What will be exciting is when they do (might?) enter a crowded line up and the waves are really pumping, double over head plus, in waves that have some degree of consequence.

That would be something to see....

Still waiting for the sends, tomahawks and scorpions.... I guess I will have to wait and see.

.....I am goingoutside now....we all know the feeling of being caught inside.....

...I wonder what it feels like to be caught inside on a big day with a foil?

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2712940
11/17/17 07:49 PM
11/17/17 07:49 PM
S
SURFFOILS Offline
Grom
SURFFOILS  Offline
Grom
S

Currently foil design isnt for over head or even hollow waves so theyll never be seen in standard surfing waves.
The foils are designed to create a lot of lift on small waves , in bigger waves theyre unstable thats why no ones taking off at Pipe on one.
But it will happen.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SURFFOILS] #2712967
11/17/17 08:19 PM
11/17/17 08:19 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted By: SURFFOILS
Currently foil design isnt for over head or even hollow waves so theyll never be seen in standard surfing waves.
The foils are designed to create a lot of lift on small waves , in bigger waves theyre unstable thats why no ones taking off at Pipe on one.
But it will happen.

It may, and probably will, but my thoughts are that "the mast" will have to be shorter and perhaps the foils, even Wider apart for both foils, front and back ~ personal theory, is all ~

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713087
11/17/17 10:59 PM
11/17/17 10:59 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
ay caramba boyz, it's already in the surf. just cause it hasn't happened in hi yet, doesn't mean it's not already going down somewhere else in the surfing world.

it has expanded a bit in the past three four decades ya know?

shrug

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713370
11/18/17 08:53 PM
11/18/17 08:53 PM
S
SURFFOILS Offline
Grom
SURFFOILS  Offline
Grom
S

The width isnt necessary, its kinds like riding a bike, once you get going it has its own balance sideways.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/how-to-build-your-own-surfcraft-hydrofoil?page=19

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SURFFOILS] #2713437
11/19/17 02:43 AM
11/19/17 02:43 AM
Kaimukisia
S
SenorBlues Offline OP
Grom
SenorBlues  Offline OP
Grom
S

Kaimukisia
Originally Posted By: SURFFOILS
...so theyll never be seen in standard surfing waves.

Obviously you didn't read the original post. They are already in the lineup in "standard surfing waves" Most surfing occurs in neither overhead nor hollow surf.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713439
11/19/17 03:10 AM
11/19/17 03:10 AM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Biggest I've gone out with DK and friends, was 4-5' (HI) at Pier 1. Conditions were pristine with no wind and it was lined up good. The speed is addicting. Rolling up and down the face on bigger swell without having to pump is soo much fun.

I only have the Kai foil which is the smaller one from GoFoil, so when it's under head hi I gotta do abit of work over the flatter spots.

There also different lengths of the mast, the part that connects the wing to the board. Mine is 24" but think I'd like to try longer.

Been hearing about spots on O'ahu that may draw us over there in the summer when here on Maui get's blocked.

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713538
11/19/17 04:52 PM
11/19/17 04:52 PM
M
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status
Mr_Stagger_Lee  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

Hey now, I thought the official Maui line was no day trippers!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713622
11/19/17 08:37 PM
11/19/17 08:37 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
just wait until you see one of those foils after the rider has fallen off, the leash has detached and it has a headhigh wall of foam behind it tomahawking it down the line. duck, duck, goose!

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713670
11/20/17 01:27 AM
11/20/17 01:27 AM
Point Loma, CA
T
tenover Offline
Kelly Slater status
tenover  Offline
Kelly Slater status
T

Point Loma, CA
Check Dave Kalama's IG from today... shocked
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbsNquclAs4/

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: tenover] #2713744
11/20/17 01:43 PM
11/20/17 01:43 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: tenover

Austin is pushing the limits of equipment abuse. Wonder what the tolerance of the carbon mast will be. shrug

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713784
11/20/17 03:38 PM
11/20/17 03:38 PM
M
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status
Mr_Stagger_Lee  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

I was wondering when I would see some footholds!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee] #2713806
11/20/17 05:01 PM
11/20/17 05:01 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted By: Mr_Stagger_Lee
I was wondering when I would see some footholds!

footholds = "strap's" per Laird, Dave Kalama & Derick Dorhner wink2

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2713820
11/20/17 05:29 PM
11/20/17 05:29 PM
M
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status
Mr_Stagger_Lee  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

Ooops..."straps" it is! LOL

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2714180
11/21/17 06:14 PM
11/21/17 06:14 PM
S
sickdog Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
sickdog  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

I have never seen such forgiving rails!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: sickdog] #2714239
11/21/17 08:37 PM
11/21/17 08:37 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: sickdog

I have never seen such forgiving rails!

I'm sure that is fun but it looks goofy. Like trick roller skating.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6