REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710262
11/10/17 11:08 PM
11/10/17 11:08 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
SUPs were foiling around the bay all morning. Those riders go twice as fast as the wave and don’t turn on a dime. Amazing to watch, probably amazing to ride.

Muller is coming
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: revo17] #2710397
11/11/17 04:09 PM
11/11/17 04:09 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: revo17
Is it hard to pump that 7'8 x 25" x 3.5" SUP ?

"Hard" is relative. I've not ridden a shortboard and foil so I have not much to compare to. Actually this board is the smallest SUP board I've prone foiled.

Got the message yesterday that my custom Kalama shape is done at the glasser. Picking it up today. I'll post some pics and design explanation later. I went with 7'6"x 22"x 3.5". I went with more foam for easier paddling. Your foil sessions include long rides that translate to long paddles. wave2

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: JEwing] #2710398
11/11/17 04:10 PM
11/11/17 04:10 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: JEwing
SUPs were foiling around the bay all morning. Those riders go twice as fast as the wave and don’t turn on a dime. Amazing to watch, probably amazing to ride.

and by "the bay" you're referring to where? Doubt you mean Honolua... thought

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710400
11/11/17 04:13 PM
11/11/17 04:13 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Hanalei or possibly Nawiliwili Bay out front of the hotel where he and his wife were staying ...

wave2

Want to buy! Hot item. Hard to find. Cousin / distributor, in Numoto goofing off .... cussing bawling

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710403
11/11/17 04:21 PM
11/11/17 04:21 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Online content
Duke status
Autoprax  Online Content
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: Kaser1

"Hard" is relative. I've not ridden a shortboard and foil so I have not much to compare to. Actually this board is the smallest SUP board I've prone foiled.

Got the message yesterday that my custom Kalama shape is done at the glasser. Picking it up today. I'll post some pics and design explanation later. I went with 7'6"x 22"x 3.5". I went with more foam for easier paddling. Your foil sessions include long rides that translate to long paddles. wave2

The one young dude looked like he's prone paddle surfing/foiling on a wake board now.

We all know what we hate.

We just don't know what we want.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710461
11/11/17 06:49 PM
11/11/17 06:49 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted By: JEwing

and by "the bay" you're referring to where? Doubt you mean Honolua... thought

Well .... he may mean Honolua seeing that he's on Maui NOW ~ nana

facelick

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710477
11/11/17 07:47 PM
11/11/17 07:47 PM
California USA
J
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status
JEwing  Offline
Tom Curren status
J

California USA
That’s Nawiliwili Bay. Short interval 2 foot mush.

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: PPK96754] #2710731
11/12/17 03:03 PM
11/12/17 03:03 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Hanalei or possibly Nawiliwili Bay out front of the hotel where he and his wife were staying ...

wave2

Want to buy! Hot item. Hard to find. Cousin / distributor, in Numoto goofing off .... cussing bawling

Picked up my new 7'6" sled yesterday. wave2

FoilAholic
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710758
11/12/17 05:13 PM
11/12/17 05:13 PM
S
Sniper Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Sniper  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

The guy I get boards from on Maui, Sky Surfboards,was telling me that the two Maui kids who test his foil designs for Fanatic don’t even like going surfing in their foils. They are all about down winding from Maliko gulch. Is that your main reason for the SUP? Or is it just about being able to go way out to the outer reefs with the paddle? I just ordered a 5’4 by 22 by 3.25 prone foil board but am waiting to buy one of the new Fanatic foils as they will only be 900 bucks. A well know guy here on the south side is out of the water with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung after taking a go foil to the side while learning. He said wear an impact suit and full face helmet while learning. What do you think about that?

Last edited by Sniper; 11/12/17 05:14 PM.
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710810
11/12/17 07:39 PM
11/12/17 07:39 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
i think scrap the saftey suit, one more surfer outta the line-ups while they heal.

#suitsyourightclownie

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SurfFuerte] #2710877
11/12/17 11:37 PM
11/12/17 11:37 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

After seeing this complete set up with a hands on ~
And drooling more than my dog does, and the board is so light too
I can go Quad and surf the board or put the mast and wings on and go foil
Just my personal thoughts and feelings, but I have to understand it's not surfing (so I was told)
But about the mechanics of "flying" and the foils under one's feet.

~ ~ An aircraft in flight is free to rotate in three dimensions: pitch, nose up or down about an axis running from wing to wing; yaw, nose left or right about an axis running up and down; and roll, rotation about an axis running from nose to tail. The axes are alternatively designated as lateral, vertical, and longitudinal. These axes move with the vehicle and rotate relative to the Earth along with the craft. These definitions were analogously applied to spacecraft when the first manned spacecraft were designed in the late 1950s.

These rotations are produced by torques (or moments) about the principal axes. On an aircraft, these are intentionally produced by means of moving control surfaces, which vary the distribution of the net aerodynamic force about the vehicle's center of mass. Elevators (moving flaps on the horizontal tail) produce pitch, a rudder on the vertical tail produces yaw, and ailerons (flaps on the wings that move in opposing directions) produce roll. On a spacecraft, the moments are usually produced by a reaction control system consisting of small rocket thrusters used to apply asymmetrical thrust on the vehicle. ~ Wikipedia aircraft axes

confused2

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710890
11/12/17 11:48 PM
11/12/17 11:48 PM
S
Sniper Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Sniper  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Scott McKercher used to sell me his old windsurf boards for 200 bucks. Saved my ass before I got sponsored!! Good to see he is still designing 20 years later!!! Is that the board from the Kalapaki shot?

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Sniper] #2710988
11/13/17 08:01 AM
11/13/17 08:01 AM
G
goingout Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
goingout  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Originally Posted By: Sniper
The guy I get boards from on Maui, Sky Surfboards,was telling me that the two Maui kids who test his foil designs for Fanatic don’t even like going surfing in their foils. They are all about down winding from Maliko gulch. Is that your main reason for the SUP? Or is it just about being able to go way out to the outer reefs with the paddle? I just ordered a 5’4 by 22 by 3.25 prone foil board but am waiting to buy one of the new Fanatic foils as they will only be 900 bucks. A well know guy here on the south side is out of the water with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung after taking a go foil to the side while learning. He said wear an impact suit and full face helmet while learning. What do you think about that?

"3 broken ribs and a punctured lung" Good that he lived to tell about it.

Every thing one does has a risk factor, from walking to your mail box to get the daily
mail to wing-suit base jumping. Make up your own scale from 1-100, like maybe 1 being the lowest risk factor such as waking up and getting out of bed, and just go up the scale all the way to 100, you fill in the blanks, it's on a personal scale, you pick the number for the activity you are doing. Don't forget to factor in ALL the things that
can go wrong, and if you are still young factor in the lack of experience, and if you
are older factor in the delayed reaction time. Like the saying goes "There are bold "pilots" and there are old "pilots" but there are no old, bold "pilots".

Any time you add more stuff (like sharp edges) to the risk factor equation, the numbers
must go up the scale not down.

One example of risk factor amplification is the activity of kite-boarding. Do an internet
search for kite-boarding fatalities and serious injuries, it's not pretty. Then go to Youtube and watch a few kite-board crash compilations. Again not pretty.

I know the above example is off the topic of this thread, it is just one example of higher risk level activity compared just surfing, for instance, however, hydro-foiling and the equipment that is used in this activity will "up" the numbers in the scale, remember the
number will go up, not down.

Now factor in " Foils in Crowded Lineups" now, you have to up the risk factor numbers AGAIN, because there are other people now in closer proximity to the Foils and the "sharp edges". Numbers are going to go up, not down. Now add more Foils to the line-ups, and again the risk factor increases twofold etc.

And don't forget to factor in the real possibility that the movement of the Foils thru the water may create hydro-acoustic, low frequency sound waves which may attract certain large "fishes". Not to mention the sometimes up-and-down movements of the Foils and
the visual attraction of what the Foil might look like to these certain large "fish".

....I am goingoutside now....to do some risk factor management....have fun and be safe!

Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: SenorBlues] #2710994
11/13/17 10:44 AM
11/13/17 10:44 AM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
locally, the marrajo is caught by filing down a piece of metal and making it into something very similar to the front slab of metal on foils. "it waves up and down in the water and resembles the belly of a yellow fin tuna, the bigger marrajos like that and go straight up from depth for the center, looking for liver".... is what he said if my memory suits me correctly.

google marrrajo.

roscoe jones
Re: Foils in Crowded Lineups [Re: Kaser1] #2710995
11/13/17 10:46 AM
11/13/17 10:46 AM
R
revo17 Offline
Grom
revo17  Offline
Grom
R

Thanks, let me know how your new custom shape works! What's the volume roughly of that board?

I'm wondering can you pump it to the next wave like Kai Lenny smile Assuming rider is not Kai Lenny, but has decent skills.

Here we have weak wind waves only. So I'm thinking about buying something like Hypernut 7'4x30x4 @106L and prone surf it with foil. Width is not going to be very comfortable, but it should definitely help with initial stability and wave catchability. I tried 6'10@48L FunEgg without much of success in small mush. It worked pretty well in steeper bigger waves with foil, but I prefer to ride regular boards in such conditions.

Last edited by revo17; 11/13/17 12:03 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6