REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Greg Griffin] #2701391
10/23/17 06:04 PM
10/23/17 06:04 PM
Wrong side of the tracks Leuca...
M
MelesMeles Offline
Nep status
MelesMeles  Offline
Nep status
M

Wrong side of the tracks Leuca...
I had one of the first "Flyer" in '99- After the anorexic glass slipper era it was nice to have a board that had width and volume again.

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Greg Griffin] #2701403
10/23/17 06:52 PM
10/23/17 06:52 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
What year was the original Flyer made ?

Pretty sure these were "Flyers" in 1983

Yeah, the outline of the TPH is very similar to the Flyer (more so to the OG Flyer I just got than the Flyer and Flyer F from the 90s).

The bottom on TPH was different though, and rails were beefier. The TPH bottom was basically flat with two channel-like concaves. The middle (along the stringer) and the outer edges were flat (hence tri plane). My brother-in-law (at the time future BIL) bought a TPH (60) and tried to learn to surf on it, got frustrated and it sat in his garage for years. He ended up giving it to me in 1992/93 and I surfed the shit out it.

I had Dave Puu shape a board in 93 that was almost identical to what would become the Flyer model from CI in, I think, 1994.

Puu shaped my boards up until around 1999, IIRC, when he quit shaping.

After a few bad experiences with getting customs from other shapers I started buying OTR at CI.

I got one Flyer F from them sometime around 2001 I think.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Duffy] #2701429
10/23/17 07:54 PM
10/23/17 07:54 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Quote:
Bottom on the Flyer (original) was single to double to vee. The Flyer F was single to double inside single to flat.

The OG Flyer (what I just got) is single double vee.

Yes, that resonates with what I remember. IIRC there were a lot of Flyer diehards who were bummed with the Flyer F, maybe changing up the bottom contours had something to do with it shrug

Loved the FCS Occy Fins with the Flyer.

Looks like the OG Flyer has the same bottom contours but in a shorter, beefier outline confused2 If so facelick

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: grapedrink] #2701457
10/23/17 08:51 PM
10/23/17 08:51 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Quote:
Bottom on the Flyer (original) was single to double to vee. The Flyer F was single to double inside single to flat.

The OG Flyer (what I just got) is single double vee.

Yes, that resonates with what I remember. IIRC there were a lot of Flyer diehards who were bummed with the Flyer F, maybe changing up the bottom contours had something to do with it shrug

Loved the FCS Occy Fins with the Flyer.

Looks like the OG Flyer has the same bottom contours but in a shorter, beefier outline confused2 If so facelick

Yeah, the OG is actually closer to the old Tri Plane Hull (as discussed above) in outline and girth but with modern bottom contours more refined rails (but the rails are still fairly full).

Surfed it again this morning and I couldnt be happier.

- The Wasp
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Duffy] #2701466
10/23/17 09:03 PM
10/23/17 09:03 PM
G
geckojohn Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
geckojohn  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

I have a 5'10" Flyer that I use all the time. Love it for head high and under at Blacks

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: geckojohn] #2701485
10/23/17 09:27 PM
10/23/17 09:27 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: geckojohn
I have a 5'10" Flyer that I use all the time. Love it for head high and under at Blacks

The old one, or the new OG Flyer?

- The Wasp
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Duffy] #2701501
10/23/17 09:49 PM
10/23/17 09:49 PM
G
geckojohn Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
geckojohn  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

The old one

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: geckojohn] #2701589
10/24/17 12:28 AM
10/24/17 12:28 AM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Absolutely everyone had a squash tail bump thruster in the 80's. I believe Simons first thrusters were in that configuration. Widely copied. As I remember the first Flyers came out in '99. Single to double in V. Later switched to single. (Which I did so not like) Malcolm was shaping at CI then and I had him do a couple of Flyer type outlines with a Bonzer bottom which is a bit different from the stock bottom. ''Twas a favorite. Got sketchy at a few feet overhead depending on how much juice. Have a home improvement thing going on and I just dug one such forgotten board out of my racks. Time to thin the herd.

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: GWS] #2701616
10/24/17 01:10 AM
10/24/17 01:10 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
Absolutely everyone had a squash tail bump thruster in the 80's.

I was surfing quads (swallow tails) starting around 85-86 (before that, twin fins) and saw that everyone was using squash thrusters so I had Bruce Fowler shape me one and I just didnt it at all. I sold it to a friend who ripped on it so it wasnt a bad board, I was just not adjusting to thrusters well. I didnt ride thrusters until around 1990ish (i think).

I still surf quads more than anything.

Quote:
As I remember the first Flyers came out in '99. Single to double in V. Later switched to single. (Which I did so not like) Malcolm was shaping at CI then and I had him do a couple of Flyer type outlines with a Bonzer bottom which is a bit different from the stock bottom. ''Twas a favorite. Got sketchy at a few feet overhead depending on how much juice.

Yeah, A lot of people werent happy with the F Flyer. I think I had a Flyer F but it might have been a Flyer.

I now have a Fort Knox that has a very Bonzer-like bottom that use for a step up. Works good.

- The Wasp
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Duffy] #2701622
10/24/17 01:22 AM
10/24/17 01:22 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Not sure if this logo means Tri Plane on this 1983 board , possibly Tri fin explaining the design of the logo 3 fins with the letters T R I

Bernie Baker brought Pat Rawson a Curren board and we rode it in 1982 or 3 .

I Made Sunny a copy of his Merrick in 1984 .

Matt Mondragons around 85 .

None had a Tri Plane bottom .

This is the Flyer template design ----

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Greg Griffin] #2701624
10/24/17 01:27 AM
10/24/17 01:27 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Not sure if this logo means Tri Plane on this 1983 board , possibly Tri fin explaining the design of the logo 3 fins with the letters T R I

Bernie Baker brought Pat Rawson a Curren board and we rode it in 1982 or 3 .

I Made Sunny a copy of his Merrick in 1984 .

Matt Mondragons around 85 .

None had a Tri Plane bottom .

This is the Flyer template design ----

Youre correct. I was looking at those pics on my phone earlier and my old eyes saw the TRI and I just thought it was TPH.

I was going to mention the Curren board (red rails) that he did the floater on at HB. Ive handled that actual board (or one of them) and it isnt much different that a Flyer.

BTW, Davey Smith was doing crazy floaters several years prior to that OP Pro.

- The Wasp
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Duffy] #2701631
10/24/17 01:42 AM
10/24/17 01:42 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
By the mid 80s the era of radical experimentation evolved into more refined performance equipment. For its day, the #ChannelIslands thruster by #AlMerrick was the cutting edge of performance. The radical graphics and advanced water channeling theories were like nothing seen before, and - along with Tom Currens surfing - cemented the shortboard revolution and the Channel Islands legacy. . . . 1982 Tri-Fin

Other "Historians " report it as Tri Plane drowning

Al " admired" the Wilderness Tri Planes of the late 60's -early 70's - exciting times , and made his versions till 1980 -1 I think .

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Greg Griffin] #2701656
10/24/17 02:38 AM
10/24/17 02:38 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
By the mid 80s the era of radical experimentation evolved into more refined performance equipment. For its day, the #ChannelIslands thruster by #AlMerrick was the cutting edge of performance. The radical graphics and advanced water channeling theories were like nothing seen before, and - along with Tom Currens surfing - cemented the shortboard revolution and the Channel Islands legacy. . . . 1982 Tri-Fin

Other "Historians " report it as Tri Plane drowning

Al " admired" the Wilderness Tri Planes of the late 60's -early 70's - exciting times , and made his versions till 1980 -1 I think .

Well I dont know about all that hyperbole. I do know that the board my brother-in-law gave me was a Tri Plane Hull and had the double concave creating the three flat areas (along rails and down the center). The board was 60, thick (probably 2 5/8 or 2 3/4), had beefy down rails, glass on fins and it was wide (probably 19 3/4). And the tail was wide.

There was V out the back, too. Hard to remember exactly how it all went together, this was almost 30 years ago and I wasnt exactly clear of mind much back then...

And it worked really good.

Because of that one board I never got into the thinned out banana chips. Those things were (and for most people/waves still are) ridiculous.

Currens red railed floater board was not a TPH.

BTW, you mention Wilderness. Are you referring to Wilderness Surfboards that had their shop next to the train tracks near Tri County Produce (in SB)?

Didnt Tustin shape for Wilderness (or Tustin was Wilderness)? I still see quite a few guys riding Tustins up at J�-a.

Last edited by Duffy; 10/24/17 02:48 AM.

- The Wasp
Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Duffy] #2701663
10/24/17 02:49 AM
10/24/17 02:49 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Cundith was the shaper , Richie was the glasser

I'm sure there were others later .

Merrick did Tri Planes again in the late 90's I think - Glen Pang made a few around 1999 -2000 off that .

Re: OG Flyer - First surf.... [Re: Greg Griffin] #2701690
10/24/17 03:37 AM
10/24/17 03:37 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content OP
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content OP
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Cundith was the shaper , Richie was the glasser

I'm sure there were others later .

Merrick did Tri Planes again in the late 90's I think - Glen Pang made a few around 1999 -2000 off that .

Ok. Yeah, for some reason the Wilderness guys scared me.

I was looking for someone to shape a board for me (this was a long time ago (mid 80s?)) and was asking around. I wanted a Bradbury and cant remember why I didnt get one. Maybe I had something up my butt about epoxy back then. So I went into the Wilderness shop and started asking about boards. For whatever reason I thought I was going to end up murdered by those guys. Theyre probably perfectly fine humans (I dont know them) but I just got a bad vibe.

I dont want this to be taken the wrong way. I have no reason to believe that those guys would have done anything bad and I have no info about them that would suggest they are bad people. Im sure they are great people. I was just a kid and I was, in a lot of ways, a pretty fucked up kid. It was all in my head.

I ended up with Fowler who shaped me a few good boards and a couple that just never worked for me.

The TPH from the 90s was the one being pushed by Chris Malloy. Wasnt the same as the 80s one I had. They were more like half way between the 80s version and a Flyer.

I have never ridden one of the 90s versions (of the TPH) and never really looked at one for more than a quick glance.

Again, I mentioned this earlier, Dave Puu shaped me a board at least two years before the Flyer came out that was virtually identical to the Flyer. One noticeable difference was the tail on the Puu board wasnt rounded off at the corners. It was just sawed square.

Everything else (bottom contours, height/width/thickness ratios, rocker, beak nose) was basically the same.

Last edited by Duffy; 10/24/17 03:38 AM.

- The Wasp
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3