REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2671756 - 08/10/17 04:50 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
_____ Offline
Miki Dora status

Did you look him up before assuming he was raised to be the entitled little shithead that he is?

http://www.wavesforwater.org/project/surftoschool

#2671758 - 08/10/17 04:52 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Drumsurf Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Beach
Hard to find a grom board off the rack. Maybe parents just stoked him/her out since the kid loves to surf and wanted a good board that wasn't oversized or a hand-me-down.

#2671759 - 08/10/17 04:53 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: _____]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: _____
Did you look him up before assuming he was raised to be the entitled little shithead that he is?

http://www.wavesforwater.org/project/surftoschool

Pretty sure that's just a way to get free Ments trips

#2671766 - 08/10/17 05:14 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: stu dog]
sussle Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: stu dog
pretty sure it's for a girl if you read the comments shameonyou
https://www.instagram.com/kendallbird6/

ok, i'm sorry but following an 8 y/o girl is creepy, regardless of her abilities or pretty much anything else. and since the parents had to enable this, they are creepier still.

#2671767 - 08/10/17 05:14 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: ifallalot]
_____ Offline
Miki Dora status

I dunno, a 9 year old non home schooled kid who takes it on his own to raise over $40k for a non-prof that helps people in Indo seems deserving of a trip there.

#2671774 - 08/10/17 05:29 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: _____]
LiamUnknown Offline
Nep status

kid looks like he actually rips pretty hard so I wouldn't really classify him in the london almida category... Makes sense to get a kid like that, who actually has a shot at going pro, to get on good boards early.

https://www.instagram.com/winter_v/

As far as the indo shit goes, I'm sure that's just some feel good bs he did with hurley like all their team riders do in indo. Spend the obligatory day dropping off water filters, etc.

#2671776 - 08/10/17 05:39 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: sussle]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: sussle

ok, i'm sorry but following an 8 y/o girl is creepy, regardless of her abilities or pretty much anything else. and since the parents had to enable this, they are creepier still.

that's not the point.
it's jumping to conclusions about a board being for a self entitled boy wannabe sponsored surfer. just took a quick reading of the comments on Biolos's post to figure out the board was for a 8 year old girl.

#2671778 - 08/10/17 05:43 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: stu dog]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Racer1
I don't know why the big brands waste money sponsoring groms.

a 10-12 year old grom is about $3K+ for 3 years for the sponsor. get those kids posting on instagram and it's not a bad investment. the good money isn't going to come until they're about 15. still it's only five figures for the sponsor. not huge money for them. WAY cheaper sponsoring a bunch of groms than a CT guy. look at what Quiksilver did. cut all the adults and kept a grom team.

I've heard much higher numbers for under 15.

I can think of so many groms who I came up with that were hyped and invested in that don't even surf anymore. Why not just wait on the 10-12 year olds and grab the creme of the crop at 18? You're still going to pay market price but saved on sponsoring them from 10 on up.

#2671779 - 08/10/17 05:44 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Also, I'm just jealous that this kid doesn't have to surf a Johnny Boy Gomes sunset gun as a daily driver at that age.

(Jokes aside: thank you very much Mom for hooking up the JBG gun)

#2671783 - 08/10/17 05:51 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: Racer1]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

I don't know why the big brands waste money sponsoring groms.

a 10-12 year old grom is about $3K+ for 3 years for the sponsor. get those kids posting on instagram and it's not a bad investment. the good money isn't going to come until they're about 15. still it's only five figures for the sponsor. not huge money for them. WAY cheaper sponsoring a bunch of groms than a CT guy. look at what Quiksilver did. cut all the adults and kept a grom team.

I've heard much higher numbers for under 15.

I can think of so many groms who I came up with that were hyped and invested in that don't even surf anymore. Why not just wait on the 10-12 year olds and grab the creme of the crop at 18? You're still going to pay market price but saved on sponsoring them from 10 on up.

typically it's 3 year deals. so by 18 that's where the kid is either going to get dropped or go onto the QS where the bigger investment comes into play. for the cost on under 18 groms sponsors are getting LOTS of eyeballs via instagram. and good amount are teenage girls that can drive traffic into their girls clothing line too.

#2671784 - 08/10/17 05:58 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: _____]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: _____
I dunno, a 9 year old non home schooled kid who takes it on his own to raise over $40k for a non-prof that helps people in Indo seems deserving of a trip there.

roflmao

You think he came up with that idea on his own?

PT Barnum called

#2671785 - 08/10/17 06:01 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: stu dog]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point

that's not the point.
it's jumping to conclusions about a board being for a self entitled boy wannabe sponsored surfer. just took a quick reading of the comments on Biolos's post to figure out the board was for a 8 year old girl.

Doesn't matter who it is, male or female.

It's just a symptom of why surfing has gone in the direction it has culturally.

These groms are constantly told how much they rip, people constantly giving them free sh*t, custom boards, parents blocking for them, paddle battling adults and grabbing set waves (often with an adult coming to their defense), etc.

There's something to be said for paddling around on some yellowed POS that's too big for you and being scared to come anywhere near the peak for fear of getting your head ripped off. Humility. These kids don't have it.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2671787 - 08/10/17 06:03 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

that's not the point.

These groms are constantly told how much they rip, people constantly giving them free sh*t, custom boards parents blocking for them, paddle battling adults and grabbing set waves (often with an adult coming to their defense), etc.

There's something to be said for paddling around on some yellowed POS that's too big for you and being scared to come anywhere near the peak for fear of getting your head ripped off.

still jumping to conclusions. How do you know it's not a board the little girl saved up $'s by herself. could be a b-day gift from her parents. or if she even has sponsorship aspirations.

#2671790 - 08/10/17 06:07 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: stu dog]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

that's not the point.

These groms are constantly told how much they rip, people constantly giving them free sh*t, custom boards parents blocking for them, paddle battling adults and grabbing set waves (often with an adult coming to their defense), etc.

There's something to be said for paddling around on some yellowed POS that's too big for you and being scared to come anywhere near the peak for fear of getting your head ripped off.

still jumping to conclusions. How do you know it's not a board the little girl saved up $'s by herself. could be a b-day gift from her parents. or if she even has sponsorship aspirations.

Doesn't matter.

Kid can't even paddle into waves on her own.

"Or if she even has sponsorship aspirations"

roflmao

C'mon man, who are you kidding?

Her videos are posted all over youtube for a reason.

#2671796 - 08/10/17 06:10 PM Re: How to raise an entitled young surfer??? [Re: stu dog]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

for the cost on under 18 groms sponsors are getting LOTS of eyeballs via instagram. and good amount are teenage girls that can drive traffic into their girls clothing line too.

Fertile ground for pervs and pedos.

Parents are very willing too.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32