REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 86 1 2 3 4 5 85 86
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670266
08/06/17 05:56 PM
08/06/17 05:56 PM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
Are we whether or or not the earth is flat in 2017?

Bohter, do you know where babies come from?

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Coat Hanger] #2670270
08/06/17 06:12 PM
08/06/17 06:12 PM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
Does this mean the sun is flat as well? All the other planets? What happens to the waves that hit the edge? roflmao

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Coat Hanger] #2670281
08/06/17 07:38 PM
08/06/17 07:38 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted By: VonMeister
HolyShit. I thought Flat Earth was just something we used to insult people. I had no idea that people actually sunk to the incredible level of stupid required to buy into it.

I was taught at school (60s-70s) the folks in the olden days were so dumb they thought the earth was flat....and that we're much smarter now due to technology & science....so much more advanced. Never gave it a second thought..."Those dummies!...geeeez...I'm so smart!" That's another lie...there were a lot of incredibly smart old timey folks. 500 years ago plus most people across many cultures / civilizations...thought it was flat...it's part of their ancient cosmology and many of them are incredibly similar. Was never taught that in school either. Hmmm.

Maybe start looking at things a bit differently. Like...ask yourself....could this be the case and what would it take to convince me? (and do some honest research) vs. it could never be the case (because it's stupid...as we were taught...and we're soooo smart these days).

Cheers...

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
I know you've deceived me now here's a surprise...I know that you have because there's magic in my eyes. I can see for miles and miles... The Who
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670282
08/06/17 07:39 PM
08/06/17 07:39 PM
THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
C
Coat Hanger Offline
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Offline
Tom Curren status
C

Originally Posted By: Bohter
HolyShit. I thought Flat Earth was just something we used to insult people. I had no idea that people actually sunk to the incredible level of stupid required to buy into it.

I was taught at school (60s-70s) the folks in the olden days were so dumb they thought the earth was flat....and that we're much smarter now due to technology & science....so much more advanced. Never gave it a second thought..."Those dummies!...geeeez...I'm so smart!" That's another lie...there were a lot of incredibly smart old timey folks. 500 years ago plus most people across many cultures / civilizations...thought it was flat...it's part of their ancient cosmology and many of them are incredibly similar. Was never taught that in school either. Hmmm.

Maybe start looking at things a bit differently. Like...ask yourself....could this be the case and what would it take to convince me? (and do some honest research) vs. it could never be the case (because it's stupid...as we were taught...and we're soooo smart these days).

Cheers...

Fly to Tokyo, then ask yourself how you got there in 10.5 hours if the earth is flat you fuckingtool.

I suppose we never landed on the moon or put a satellite in space to take pictures of the earth. It's all a big conspiracy. Sure there's no reason to make this up, but the global government is doing it anyway. Are there dragons off the edge you fuckingIdiot.

Kill yourself.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Coat Hanger] #2670283
08/06/17 07:49 PM
08/06/17 07:49 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here

Cheers...

Fly to Tokyo, then ask yourself how you got there in 10.5 hours if the earth is flat you fuckingtool.

I suppose we never landed on the moon or put a satellite in space to take pictures of the earth. It's all a big conspiracy. Sure there's no reason to make this up, but the global government is doing it anyway. Are there dragons off the edge you fuckingIdiot.

Kill yourself.

If the earth is flat, how have people circumnavigated it by heading in a single direction? Why does it get light/dark in New York hours before Los Angeles? How do satellites work?

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg
Re: Distant Shores [Re: sizzld1] #2670292
08/06/17 08:34 PM
08/06/17 08:34 PM
C
Coat Hanger Offline
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Offline
Tom Curren status
C

Originally Posted By: sizzld1

Cheers...

Kill yourself.

If the earth is flat, how have people circumnavigated it by heading in a single direction? Why does it get light/dark in New York hours before Los Angeles? How do satellites work?

Magic

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Coat Hanger] #2670294
08/06/17 08:57 PM
08/06/17 08:57 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Originally Posted By: sizzld1

Cheers...

Kill yourself.

Magic

roflmao bowdown

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670295
08/06/17 09:19 PM
08/06/17 09:19 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Maybe start lookinWg at things a bit differently. Like...ask yourself....could this be the case and what would it take to convince me? (and do some honest research) vs. it could never be the case (because it's stupid...as we were taught...and we're soooo smart these days).

Cheers...

My school didn't teach any of that. Was taught that smart people figured out the world was spherical and that to think people weren't smart was hubris of highest order. Old Chris Columbus knew the world was a sphere, just had the circumference wrong. 1495. Technology doesn't make you smarter, just allows shortcuts.

"Perspective" doesn't explain a disappearing ship, it explains anti-crepuscular rays (sun behind you)

and regular crepuscular rays (sun in front of you)

Parallel lines appear to meet but don't, that is perspective.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: MJOJunkie] #2670311
08/06/17 11:49 PM
08/06/17 11:49 PM
LA
B
BSshwack Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
BSshwack  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
B

LA
Originally Posted By: MJOJunkie
Bohther I know you're an intelligent guy

roflmao

Re: Distant Shores [Re: BSshwack] #2670328
08/07/17 01:09 AM
08/07/17 01:09 AM
_
_____ Offline
Miki Dora status
_____  Offline
Miki Dora status
_

I had an art, math and philosophy burrito for lunch today.
Nobody has better lunches than I do.
- Donald Trump

Re: Distant Shores [Re: _____] #2670342
08/07/17 02:01 AM
08/07/17 02:01 AM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Originally Posted By: _____
I had an art, math and philosophy burrito for lunch today.
Nobody has better lunches than I do.
- Donald Trump

roflmao

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Mr Doof] #2670462
08/07/17 04:11 PM
08/07/17 04:11 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Looks like we are just rehashing what has been said before and I guess I don't have much to add at this point about why I think the earth is a sphere that bulges around the equator a little bit due to the spin and the slight plasticity of the material that is the earth.

The Amazing Randi has some thoughts on why there is this belief.

This is not too different from what BSshwack said:

"Flat earth and other conspiracy theories like that strike me as a dramatic response to the abject fear people have of the realization that nobody's really in control and absolutely nobody has a clue where this thing is going. So much easier to have a "they" to point to and curse."

I would add to the above and say that this is why it is important to have within one's self, an element of the illusion of control, or concept of self-determination....a little bit goes a long way in making life bearable. Too much, and well, you get the wackiness.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 08/07/17 04:31 PM.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Mr Doof] #2670733
08/08/17 01:44 PM
08/08/17 01:44 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Here's a tighter photo that demonstrates the contradiction between the oil rigs "sailing over the horizon" (legs missing...making them look like they're sinking below the horizon...just like we were taught as a proof we lived on a sphere) and the ability to clearly see things that should also be below the horizon...but are not (Saddle Peak in this case, on the right side of the photo, 2600 ft too high). The horizon should be about were the red line is...

View is "as flat"...not "as curved"...simple enough.

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
I know you've deceived me now here's a surprise...I know that you have because there's magic in my eyes. I can see for miles and miles... The Who
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2671180
08/09/17 06:39 AM
08/09/17 06:39 AM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
Good God you're a silly little monkey aren't you?

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2671204
08/09/17 12:46 PM
08/09/17 12:46 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
He would score low on the agreeableness scale. Not that that is always a bad thing.

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Page 3 of 86 1 2 3 4 5 85 86

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32