REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 74 1 2 3 4 73 74
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Driftcoast] #2669957
08/05/17 02:33 PM
08/05/17 02:33 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Here's a few more of my photos...
Bigger size of the oil rigs with missing legs...

Another day looking ESE from Campus Point parking lot....rigs with legs missing and 2600' hidden height problem @ Saddle Peak in the background (can't have it curved at the rigs but not at distant peaks)...

And...not my photo...but it's a view from Kauai to the Big Island 300 plus miles. Big Island is on the right. Oahu Left....Maui center behind Oahu. Highest point should be like 50,000 feet below the horizon...

And, here's what is claimed to be the world record long distance landscape photo...from a website of photo enthusiasts...not interested in the shape of the earth. Why give a record for taking pictures of refractions or mirages, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QG7hBdVhFY

Link to hidden height calculator...
https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=30&h0=10&unit=imperial

I'm looking forward to this fall when we have the best clear air viewing around here...join me for a before surf look-see at Campus one day...let your eyes see what they'll see. Always the same view with the horizon in the wrong place...

Last edited by Bohter; 08/05/17 02:52 PM.

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2669996
08/05/17 03:52 PM
08/05/17 03:52 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

MUELLER IS COMING batman
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670008
08/05/17 04:34 PM
08/05/17 04:34 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Originally Posted By: Bohter
I'm looking forward to this fall when we have the best clear air viewing around here...join me for a before surf look-see at Campus one day...let your eyes see what they'll see. Always the same view with the horizon in the wrong place...

You know why you can see best in fall?

Still air refracts best, and a sharper inversion layer of warm air over cooler air (as cooled by the ocean) helps.

How about some humor?

Time for this vid

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Driftcoast] #2670027
08/05/17 05:24 PM
08/05/17 05:24 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted By: Driftcoast

Still air refracts best, and inversion layer of warm air over cooler air (as cooled by the ocean) helps.

The best long distance viewing correlates with clear air. Period.

We certainly see refractions and mirages at play much of the time as well....especially at the horizon and over water...but the light from objects beyond the horizon/vanishing point and generally lower in elevation is usually bent downward creating views like the missing oil rig legs...or sky on the horizon where we know land is (reference my photo study...sky where Ventura/Oxnard should be). As or mirages...like Superior or Fata Morgana...I don't recall seeing these w/o also seeing the object that being miraged....i.e. we typical see the object and an inverted distorted mirage above it....sometime we'll see a double non inverted but heavily distorted mirage above the first. These are obvious...and obviously not responsible for the position of the ridge lines and peaks in the above photos.

I've taken photos across many days...and have never seen the horizon as depicted by the Peakfinder.org view (surface of a sphere whit 3959 mile radius).

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670035
08/05/17 05:43 PM
08/05/17 05:43 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Still air without clouds/rain/dust/particulate/haze = clear air.

Clear air with lots of wind moving through it does not provide as good a view and clear still air. Sure you agree with that.

Why do you think you can see curve in one of your photos and not another? A lumpy layer of water in front of oil platforms?

Since you like Channel Island stuff, here is floating Santa Cruz Island:

(Image link page as it it a png file not a jpg file )

Enjoy more mysteries of your neck of the waters at this link showing more Channel Island inversion layers.

Last edited by Driftcoast; 08/05/17 06:01 PM.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Driftcoast] #2670036
08/05/17 05:44 PM
08/05/17 05:44 PM
Socal Bight
M
MJOJunkie Offline
Michael Peterson status
MJOJunkie  Offline
Michael Peterson status
M

Socal Bight

Still air refracts best, and a sharper inversion layer of warm air over cooler air (as cooled by the ocean) helps.

How about some humor?

Time for this vid

Perfect for this thread roflmao

Bohther I know you're an intelligent guy but man oh mang you'd be infinitely better off arguing the 7th tower demolition theory or even the twin towers demolition theory.

Lot of meat in those but like above if the earth was flat all the kitties would have pushed everything off it beer drunk tongue2

The constant misdirection or "red herring" type of responses in this place by those who do not want to open their minds to the real subject is absolutely f*cking zany.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Driftcoast] #2670045
08/05/17 06:28 PM
08/05/17 06:28 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Still air without clouds/rain/dust/particulate/haze = clear air.

Clear air with lots of wind moving through it does not provide as good a view and clear still air. Sure you agree with that.

Why do you think you can see curve in one of your photos and not another? A lumpy layer of water in front of oil platforms?

Since you like Channel Island stuff, here is floating Santa Cruz Island:

(Image link page as it it a png file not a jpg file )

Enjoy more mysteries of your neck of the waters at this link showing more Channel Island inversion layers.

Thanks for the links (and the humor)...wish there was more info about where the photos were taken.

As far a seeing curve in one of my photos...assume the two solo rigs one...well if that curvature...then why is the same phenomena present in the other photos yet Saddle Peak is 2600 feet too high and the horizon is horribly misplaced. Major contradiction.

And MJO....I get it...this is bat shit crazy stuff to talk about...let alone actively research. But it is what it is. No surface curvature detected.

Re the 911 building analysis that proves demo ("Theory" roflmao) ...might simplify that to a one page presentation and post later. And, just checked the KS thread....it hit 100,000 views recently (last post 9-11-16 on page 90 something) so am assuming that topic still interests a few folks.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670047
08/05/17 06:41 PM
08/05/17 06:41 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

"then why is the same phenomena present in the other photos yet Saddle Peak is 2600 feet too high and the horizon is horribly misplaced. "

Refraction, rounding errors of measurement, inversions, mirage, etc.

How do you account for the difference?

Last edited by Driftcoast; 08/05/17 07:06 PM.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670059
08/05/17 07:23 PM
08/05/17 07:23 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
I love bohters usage of super low resolution photos he took with a crappy camera to try and debunk the fact the world is a sphere. Guy is my all time favorite dummy I think.

So do you believe there's an ice wall?

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Driftcoast] #2670062
08/05/17 07:42 PM
08/05/17 07:42 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
"then why is the same phenomena present in the other photos yet Saddle Peak is 2600 feet too high and the horizon is horribly misplaced. "

Guy twiddled his thumbs as that ship sank.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2670122
08/05/17 09:30 PM
08/05/17 09:30 PM
Socal Bight
M
MJOJunkie Offline
Michael Peterson status
MJOJunkie  Offline
Michael Peterson status
M

Socal Bight
Quote:

Taj Burrow twiddled his thumbs as that ship sank.
. smile2

The constant misdirection or "red herring" type of responses in this place by those who do not want to open their minds to the real subject is absolutely f*cking zany.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Driftcoast] #2670227
08/06/17 02:22 PM
08/06/17 02:22 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WDdwP0Ucomk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I explained most of it previously....the view of the horizon across water gets really goofy:

"We certainly see refractions and mirages at play much of the time as well....especially at the horizon and over water...but the light from objects beyond the horizon/vanishing point and generally lower in elevation is usually bent downward creating views like the missing oil rig legs...or sky on the horizon where we know land is (reference my photo study...sky where Ventura/Oxnard should be). As for mirages...like Superior or Fata Morgana...I don't recall seeing these w/o also seeing the object that is being miraged....i.e. we typical see the object and an inverted distorted mirage above it....sometime we'll see a double non inverted but heavily distorted mirage above the first. These are obvious...and obviously not responsible for the position of the ridge lines and peaks in the above photos."

With the way our eyes work everything below the horizon line slopes up and everything above slopes downward....to the horizon / vanishing point. The farther things are in the distance the smaller they get. Saddle Peak is well above the horizon line....so it's still visible....most all of it (though partially hidden by a ridge this side of it). Problem with that is only the top 200 ft should be visible i.e. the horizon line should be 2600 ft higher (relative to SP's location) just like the Peakfinder.org view. It never looks like that ever...and it really should...if we lived on a sphere with a 3959 mile radius.

Re the above video of the ship sailing into the distance. Same thing as explained above. The farther away the ship (maybe 100' tall) gets the smaller it appears....due to perspective (duh). As it reaches the vanishing point the bottom starts to disapear first due to refractions / lensing across water. Zooming in will keep the object in view longer but it will eventually disappear as well. This is why I always try to get a bit of elevation to get away from these effects. I've seen the horizon line move / refract / mirror a few hundred feet with the longer views making things like the lower part of the islands, coastlines disappear or in this case the ship...look like it's sailing over then below the horizon....but it's not.

Ships sailing over the horizon proving we live on a sphere is one of classic lies taught to us in school....but once you study it in detail...the argument falls apart rather quickly.

Last edited by Bohter; 08/06/17 02:25 PM.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670233
08/06/17 03:00 PM
08/06/17 03:00 PM
THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
C
Coat Hanger Online mad
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Online Mad
Tom Curren status
C

HolyShit. I thought Flat Earth was just something we used to insult people. I had no idea that people actually sunk to the incredible level of stupid required to buy into it.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670240
08/06/17 04:55 PM
08/06/17 04:55 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Brush up on your understanding of perspective at this link with lots of nice pictures.

Re: Distant Shores [Re: Bohter] #2670253
08/06/17 05:26 PM
08/06/17 05:26 PM
C
Coat Hanger Online mad
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Online Mad
Tom Curren status
C

The level of willful stupidity to believe such nonsense requires permanent internment. It is impossible for someone with this deficiency to ever contribute anything of value to society and instead will at best be a drain on everyone else.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Page 2 of 74 1 2 3 4 73 74

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32