REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2908596 - 02/04/19 05:26 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Here's the feature and video:

http://2016grovelguide.surfline.com/5/

Any experiences with this board?

I hate quads, like twins though. Not sure what I'd think of it.

Also this version looks like a true groveler, he seems to struggle a bit on the bigger ones.

There you go - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEBUTlBXoA

Review

#2908603 - 02/04/19 05:38 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
freeride76 Offline
Nep status

Loc: Lennox Head.
board looks way too small for that bloke.

way too much constant spaz pumping to keep it moving.

#2908631 - 02/04/19 06:25 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: freeride76]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: freeride76

He always rides boards that are too small.

- The Wasp

#2908635 - 02/04/19 06:30 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
freeride76 Offline
Nep status

I'm really surprised now that Medina has shown how boards with decent volume look under skilled feet that the ego trip of riding under-volumed boards still persists.

#2908695 - 02/04/19 07:59 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: freeride76]
Waxfoot Offline
Grom

I'm really surprised now that Medina has shown how boards with decent volume look under skilled feet that the ego trip of riding under-volumed boards still persists.

I'm really torn on this.
I've been adding more and more volume (I'm 82KGs) as that's what's the general consensus these days (more foam is your friend etc), but honestly not sure if it's doing me any good.

Guess it's a seperate topic, and also kinda futile to discuss a board based on volume alone, but that being said, boards over 30ish litres just feel much too big and I cannot move the thing like I want to. I'm probably just a spastic to be fair.

#2908705 - 02/04/19 08:19 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: Waxfoot]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: Waxfoot

I'm really torn on this.
I've been adding more and more volume (I'm 82KGs) as that's what's the general consensus these days (more foam is your friend etc), but honestly not sure if it's doing me any good.

Guess it's a seperate topic, and also kinda futile to discuss a board based on volume alone, but that being said, boards over 30ish litres just feel much too big and I cannot move the thing like I want to. I'm probably just a spastic to be fair.

It totally depends on the board. I have boards, HPSBs, ranging from 29-33 liters and they all work really well. The 29s are snub nosed and the 33 is long and pointy.

Had a 33 liter OG Flyer and when I was 200 lbs it worked great. Now Im 180 and it sucked ass so I sold it.

But that fat dude that does those reviews consistently rides boards that are too small. There is one board he reviewed that was over volumed for him and its the best Ive seen him surf.

- The Wasp

#2908725 - 02/04/19 09:03 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
freeride76 Offline
Nep status

It's all relative and subjective.

As Dane pointed out, unless you're a pro if it feels good it is good.

Those spaz pumps and flicky half turns probably feel good to that guy. Any extra resistance probably feels not so good.

Surfed with Medina a few times now and when you see the positivity and power in his surfing and the almost complete lack of any little half turns and spaz pumps it's quite shocking.

After witnessing that its hard to escape the conclusion that almost everyone, including most of the Tour, would benefit from an extra litre or two, at least.

#2908737 - 02/04/19 09:45 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

well in any case, I found volume distribution is what is really key and also as freeride says, it s all about how good it feels under the surfer s feet as well at some point. When you see the pros thou, it doesn't look like they need more volume, they just rip this way. Also, a board doesn't necessarily need the same volume across all type of waves, for the same surfer, a 3 foot wave with heaps of push doesn't need the same flotation as a 3 foot fat slow breaking wave (on top of the design features of course).

#2908820 - 02/05/19 03:14 AM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Yeah Craig from "The Surfboard Guide" does ride very low volumed boards for his weight. I've met him before (we have some mutual friends) and in person he is definitely a solid guy - he sure can surf though. I would image he is between 90 and 95kg. I weigh 88kg at the moment and am very comfortable on 31L for a HPSB and 32.5L for a groveller. He is on at least 1L less than me and weighs up to 7kg more.

I think I ride fairly low volumed boards as it is...

Edited by Hopeless (02/05/19 03:14 AM)

#2908825 - 02/05/19 04:54 AM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: freeride76]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia

I'm just focused on his trailing zombie arm and wrist the entire time I watch him surfing.
shocked

#2909150 - 02/05/19 05:06 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

He might be surfing low volume boards but he certainly can surf !

#2910971 - 02/08/19 06:18 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Fishlogan Offline
Grom

I thought I'd chime in in this thread
I just received my 5'6 x 19 x 2.44 disasym
I'm 5'9 and about 170 lbs.
size is just right but it's a custom so Matt knows what he is doing with the measurements
I'm in Australia and it's not cheap. The board was under the duty amount so didn't have to pay that but the airposrt handling fees etc get you. $300 for that. That's not including the frieght which isn't too bad

Now the board. As people say, does take time to get used to but once you dial it. Wow. Took about 3 surfs to get to that point.
The board is not a groveller. It's good in small waves don't get me wrong but had solid waves 2 days ago and it lit up. The trick with it was to get in on rail. Really push that thing down in the water and it carves. Most my boards are either twins or quads and it really does put the best of those 2 worlds together.
Experimented with fins a bit. But the best combo for the solid waves is the quad true ames Tyler warrens,(not the captain fins ones. They slid everywhere). And a TA true Ames on the twin side. Smaller surf used the Rasta t1 futures , they're a bit more flexible and generate speed in the smaller stuff.
But definitely can't recommend the board enough. Haven't yet gone back hand yet. Waves I've had recently have been all right handlers but can't wait to try it and see what it's like using the quads off the bottom and the twin off the top

#2911871 - 02/11/19 11:19 AM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
ChaseTMP Offline
Grom

Loc: S. Redondo
^ Is there any reason to have the Disasym's asymmetrical nose? Does it affect the effective rail line? I've been on the look out for a used one, but Matt's made only made about 10% in FCSII and the potential in finding one in my size, plus goofy stance is negligible. I have too much tied-up in FCSII to get one board with Futures. For how much a custom would be I definitely want to test one before dropping the coin, but as of now; Album doesn't have a demo that woud work for me.

I saw a pic of a Brink/CI assym collab and it had a pointy nose, so I'm unclear of the purpose of the nose mirroring the tail as some of Albums have. It seams that Ryan Burch is doing more of the pickle-fork noses nowadays, compared with his initial offerings.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2