REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2636670 - 05/10/17 11:27 AM Album DISASYM - any reviews?
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Here's the feature and video:

http://2016grovelguide.surfline.com/5/

Any experiences with this board?

I hate quads, like twins though. Not sure what I'd think of it.

Also this version looks like a true groveler, he seems to struggle a bit on the bigger ones.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2636700 - 05/10/17 12:22 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
fredman Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I got sucked in by that grovel guide footage. Couldn't resist -- ordered one a few months back.

First few sessions, it was about 50/50 -- I would either have a really great ride with the board doing somewhat unexpected things in a good way (handling steeper sections than anticipated, flying past sections, turning super sharp, going really good backside), or I would completely kook it (going over the handlebars, mistiming turns, getting too far out on shoulder, etc.)

So, it took a few sessions to figure out -- in those sessions, I had a lot of moments that made me want to keep with it. But after I got more comfortable with the board and started to learn how it was going to react to different situations -- essentially, I didn't want to surf any other boards.

This thing is just too fun. I clicked with it backside first, feels really natural -- just stand with your back foot over the fins and tee off.
Front side took a few sessions, but it has so much built in speed and a ton of pivot (and carve). You can surf it more cruise-y or more aggressively. The board is really versatile.

Mine is almost identical to the one in that video. I used it on the day of the year (in South Florida) this past winter, and the board was so good. That day was about a foot or two overhead on average and really lined up (classic South Florida cold front swell -- walled up and fast -- not hollow though), and I never felt like I was being held back at all. I probably wouldn't want to surf it in anything bigger than that, but I don't surf in much bigger than that anyway.

I'd say it's more daily driver than groveler. Although, Matt can customize it to your needs, I'm sure.

#2636716 - 05/10/17 12:44 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I've owned something similar. It was a BSD asym. Twin on the toe side and quad on the heel side.

I liked the feeling a lot and was told that it looked good underfoot, but it was grovel specific and I should have ordered it to be more of a daily driver. Also, I struggled with finding a quad set-up that worked for me. Sometimes it was hot and cold, which didn't allow me to be 100% comfortable on my backhand with it. I don't typically like quads anyways, so I'm not sure why I thought I might get along with this set-up.

I would definitely get another one, just with a few changes. I would increase the rocker slightly to make it an all-arounder. I would change it to a thruster asym set-up, and I think I would go reverse asym next time, where the short rail is on the toe side and the longer rail is on the backside. In my view, it's already easier to pivot backside and get vertical in a small pocket because most of your weight is readily available at your heels. I find it harder to pivot tightly frontside, where I think you would benefit from a shorter rail line. Most asyms are set up opposite.

#2636727 - 05/10/17 01:04 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: jkb]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Originally Posted By: jkb
I would change it to a thruster asym set-up

What's that look like?

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2636787 - 05/10/17 03:29 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

With the traditional asym thruster set-up, the toe fin is pulled back a bit and the center fin is moved closer to the heel side fin.

#2636882 - 05/10/17 07:09 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
ifallalot Online   sick
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
I had a asymmetrical Brink and there is definitely *something* to the theory. I only got rid of it because of overlap and I wanted something more grovelly.

You can't go wrong with Album boards

#2905310 - 01/29/19 11:59 AM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Hoarder Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: OB/NCSD
Any more updates/reviews on the Disasym? I've been wanting something that bridges the gap between fish and shortboard, plus I'm interested in the asym theory, so these have really been speaking to me.

#2905383 - 01/29/19 01:37 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
MrSteve Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: NJ
Have a Justin Ternes shaped version. Pretty identical outline. I cant speak to the rocker or concaves as I cant find any pics or description of the Disasym. But my JT is probably my most HP board that I own, though I dont ride traditional HP shortboards. Its 5-9 x 20 x 2 1/2.
Have an XTR Album Fascination (asym fish) coming tomorrow

#2905518 - 01/29/19 04:39 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Waterlogged05 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

#2905647 - 01/29/19 09:01 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
MrSteve Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: NJ
Aye, it is.

#2905688 - 01/29/19 10:39 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Waxfoot Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Here's the feature and video:

http://2016grovelguide.surfline.com/5/

Any experiences with this board?

I hate quads, like twins though. Not sure what I'd think of it.

Also this version looks like a true groveler, he seems to struggle a bit on the bigger ones.

Better late than never eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEBUTlBXoA

Edited by Waxfoot (01/29/19 10:40 PM)

#2905932 - 01/30/19 11:57 AM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Diego, CA
If this one was smaller, I'd be tempted to give it a shot...
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/san-clemente-album-fascination/6804650645.html

#2905973 - 01/30/19 12:22 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Hoarder Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: OB/NCSD
I think I'm going to make some time to check one out in person and most likely put in an order. The average joe surfing in that review kind of sold me

#2908543 - 02/04/19 03:48 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
YeahNo Offline
Grom

Loc: Kelly's Cove
A little off topic, but I just started to shape an asym fish, and could use some advice on fin placement. Its a 5'6" (21'x2.6") with a swallow/squash tail set up (single concave throughout). I went into it thinking I wanted to keep it a quad, but not radically shifted placements from one side to the other. However that seems to be how I see most asyms.

Any advice would be much appreciated, even if its just a basic starting point on where and how I should measure/place. Thanks!

Edited by YeahNo (02/04/19 03:49 PM)

#2908547 - 02/04/19 04:03 PM Re: Album DISASYM - any reviews? [Re: YeahNo]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: YeahNo
A little off topic, but I just started to shape an asym fish, and could use some advice on fin placement. Its a 5'6" (21'x2.6") with a swallow/squash tail set up (single concave throughout). I went into it thinking I wanted to keep it a quad, but not radically shifted placements from one side to the other. However that seems to be how I see most asyms.

Any advice would be much appreciated, even if its just a basic starting point on where and how I should measure/place. Thanks!

I don't know measurements, but generally speaking your toe side will have a longer rail line with the fins further back and your heel side will have a shorter rail line with the fins further forward. The pic below obviously isn't a quad, but it will point you in the right direction. Make sure to click on the second pic.

View this post on Instagram

Standardshorty

A post shared by bobbersandsinkers (@bobbersandsinkers) on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >