REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 34 1 2 30 31 32 33 34
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Bohter] #2619416
03/23/17 11:25 PM
03/23/17 11:25 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Bohter
yet you have no clear answers or explanations to my simple question above

The 'clear answers' have been stated a few times why you are getting the results you get.

1 Measurement errors
2 Refraction

PS

I like these Moss Landing view from Santa Cruz showing elevated beaches across the Bay.

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Mr Doof] #2619425
03/23/17 11:44 PM
03/23/17 11:44 PM
Orange County
L
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status
littlewave  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Orange County
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Originally Posted By: Bohter
yet you have no clear answers or explanations to my simple question above

The 'clear answers' have been stated a few times why you are getting the results you get.

1 Measurement errors
2 Refraction

ban ban ban ban ban ban

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: sternwake] #2619530
03/24/17 11:09 AM
03/24/17 11:09 AM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

You forgot to add primitive and or magical thinking to your list, Doof.

Or maybe he believes illusions since he keeps citing vanishing point. I bet he thinks the moon changes its diameter from the time it rises till it is directly overhead.

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Driftcoast] #2619551
03/24/17 01:17 PM
03/24/17 01:17 PM
B
Bohter Offline
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

So no one is able to explain or even discuss in scientific terms why the Saddle Peak photo shows apparent curvature across the water with respect to the oil rig yet Saddle Peak protrudes thousands of feet above where it should be if the earth was spherical?

Everyone can clearly see it's not a mirage.
And the measurement part...nah...so easy a 3rd grader could do it accurately.

Last edited by Bohter; 03/24/17 01:26 PM.

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Bohter] #2619633
03/24/17 04:32 PM
03/24/17 04:32 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
So matter not closed.

Please put a 'X' where you took your photo from and draw arrow showing which way you are looking.

Street name/geo coordinates might be helpful too.

Meanwhile, here are 10 reasons why most people think the world is mostly a sphere.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 03/24/17 04:47 PM.
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Mr Doof] #2619682
03/24/17 07:01 PM
03/24/17 07:01 PM
O
obelix Offline
Grom
obelix  Offline
Grom
O

Despite having taken a number of physics modules at university, I toyed with a number of "conspiracy theory" viewpoints during my 20's. The whole flat earth thing is something I looked at for a while. Luckily I got through all that crap (it also happened to coincide with me taking a lot of mind-altering substances) and was able eventually to see sense.

My reckoning as to why these theories exist and why they're encouraged is to distract well-meaning people with inquisitive and questioning minds. (i.e. just the type of person who'd be more likely to see through all the media spin the govt and big-business spews out to cover their corruption and back-dealings). So basically they're there to distract.

I currently work in environmental consultancy where a speciality of mine is GIS (geographic information systems). Probably one of the most bulletproof rebuttals to the earth being flat is the need for different map projections (e.g. Mollweide, Winkel, etc etc).

These aren't just vague conceptual theories: Working with field maps where a layer with one projection is transposed on another layer of another projection, the two layers will deviation is by a set amount. If you look at the underlying maths, it all points back to a spherical starting point.

Last edited by obelix; 03/24/17 10:05 PM.
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: obelix] #2619726
03/24/17 08:57 PM
03/24/17 08:57 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Quote:
My reckoning as to why these theories exist and why they're encouraged is to distract well-meaning people with inquisitive and questioning minds. (i.e. just the type of person who'd be more likely to see through all the media spin the govt and big-business spews out to cover their corruption and back-dealings). So basically they're there to distract.

DING DING DING we have a winner. Just like the verbal diarrhea coming out of the Cheeto in Chief. It's a distraction that keeps the media outlets and social media occupied while other bad poop is actually happening. Politics 101 toilet

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: sternwake] #2619763
03/24/17 10:03 PM
03/24/17 10:03 PM
O
obelix Offline
Grom
obelix  Offline
Grom
O

Yeah grapedrink, that statement you quoted is kinda the inverse of a question earlier in this thread.

Someone asked in what way would an illusion that the earth was spherical serve the "powers behind the curtain"?

The question could easily have been: what purpose does the perpetuating of this flat earth myth serve?

It's a bit like David Icke and the lizard people hocus pocus. That serves to tarnish all those people who believe in a small core inner circle of global leadership as complete whack-jobs, whether their beliefs extend to the David Icke version or not.

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: sternwake] #2619791
03/24/17 11:50 PM
03/24/17 11:50 PM
NorCenCal
I
Iceman Offline
Phil Edwards status
Iceman  Offline
Phil Edwards status
I

NorCenCal
Wow, I hadn't opened up this thread since it was a 3 pager. What a turn it has taken! Arguments over how to prove the earth isn't flat? Still some doubters out there? Awesome stuff guys! Keep up the good work!

Fun fact - If the earth were shrunk to the size of a ball bearing, it would be the smoothest surface known to man.

Si se puede!
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: obelix] #2619803
03/25/17 12:33 AM
03/25/17 12:33 AM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted By: obelix
Yeah grapedrink, that statement you quoted is kinda the inverse of a question earlier in this thread.

Someone asked in what way would an illusion that the earth was spherical serve the "powers behind the curtain"?

The question could easily have been: what purpose does the perpetuating of this flat earth myth serve?

It's a bit like David Icke and the lizard people hocus pocus. That serves to tarnish all those people who believe in a small core inner circle of global leadership as complete whack-jobs, whether their beliefs extend to the David Icke version or not.

For sure- I believe it was me that brought up that question, and the inverse reinforces your point as well.

I think there are conspiracies that are made up out of thin air by entities that use idiotic theories to exonerate themselves of other acts of wrong doing. All you have to do is knock down that strawman and it takes everything down with it.

For example, what if there really were "powers that be" that knew that 9/11 was going to happen and allowed it to happen for political purposes. By making up or at least perpetuating all of the other more extreme theories, such as the Controlled Demolition via shadow government, it lumps all questions surrounding 9/11 into the realm of lunacy. Then, all you have to do is defeat the extreme Controlled Demolition to discredit all other wrong doing, some of which may be actually be true. It throws the baby out with the bath water.

Hope that's not too political- don't want this thread ending up in Politics Forum, although maybe it belongs there now confused2

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: obelix] #2620203
03/26/17 03:57 PM
03/26/17 03:57 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

Biggest lie of all is that there is curtain like this.

Thinking that way is shooting yourself in the foot.

Loser talk.

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Driftcoast] #2620231
03/26/17 05:42 PM
03/26/17 05:42 PM
B
Bohter Offline
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted By: Driftcoast

Biggest lie of all is that there is curtain like this.

Thinking that way is shooting yourself in the foot.

Loser talk.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

That, and this GWB speech go hand in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K5M0xtxQVQ

I mean...why would you even need to say that if the case was black and white as some folks like to believe....i.e. what we were told on the nightly news.

Got any good evidence that there's nothing behind door #3?

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: sternwake] #2620284
03/26/17 11:09 PM
03/26/17 11:09 PM
D
Driftcoast Offline
Michael Peterson status
Driftcoast  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

^ More proof everyone is looking for an excuse to not succeed.

Lets blame ghosts and werewolves and say 'we can't help it', lets waste time and energy on false leads and reinvent the wheel every other week so the herd stays dumb.

No wonder hero worship is a real thing and people pay Tony Robins and other charismatic people to learn the 'truth'....they have no sense of self worth.

Last edited by Driftcoast; 03/26/17 11:14 PM.
Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: sternwake] #2620291
03/26/17 11:23 PM
03/26/17 11:23 PM
Rotting away on the 405
T
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status
tacos  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

Rotting away on the 405
One time I got caught in a rip and got sucked so far out to sea I saw the edge of the flat Earth. That was fvcking weird.

Re: Weirdest thing seen when surfing? [Re: Bohter] #2620325
03/27/17 01:20 AM
03/27/17 01:20 AM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Quote:
Got any good evidence that there's nothing behind door #3?

Um, are you sure you went to school for science confused2 Because if you did you would know that you cannot prove a negative. That's like saying, "Prove to me that God does not exist" or "Prove that there is no life outside our solar system". It's impossible and a non-starter. If anything, scientists worth their salt are careful to not claim that they've "proved" anything.

Interweb Scientist, out! beer

Page 32 of 34 1 2 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32