REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2559004 - 10/20/16 11:29 PM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: terdy]
seann Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

yeah a 4x4 van would be sick, but they aint cheap.

#2559011 - 10/20/16 11:50 PM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: terdy]
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: NOC
Get the full size truck, you won't regret it.
Guys complaining about not being able to park them is pretty funny....I see middle aged housewifes parking suv's all the time

#2559017 - 10/21/16 12:34 AM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: seann]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: seann
yeah a 4x4 van would be sick, but they aint cheap.

right place, right time ... shrug

2003 Ford V-10 F-350 4x4 15 pax van "uncle deal" $500.00

T'was the first van for a local Inner tube / Zipline company.
Bought in 2013, 65,000+ miles. 83,000+ today
Never thought that I'd own one. dream machine ....
And I don't care if I get 10 mpg
I got a Bingo ....
quite content ..

#2559018 - 10/21/16 12:39 AM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: terdy]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
and the badass of the year award goes to...

van guy!

#2559021 - 10/21/16 12:59 AM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: Aruka]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
tacoma best vehicle ever if you don't have kids. Once you have kids you run out of room quickly. SMT's F150 is sick. Shortbed compromise but you can get those in a 6 ft bed.

My buddy has a sportsmobile. Amazing but on top of the steep price tag it's a money pit. Crap breaks left and right.

Nothing beats a toyota. I've hammered the fark out of them and they hold up.

#2559092 - 10/21/16 11:10 AM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: terdy]
oootherippa Offline
Grom

4 door Tacoma - 6' bed.
Fits all three kids in the backseat. 2 w/ front facing seats one rear facing.
Get good tires.
I just hit 100k. Still going strong despite the squeaky leaf springs.
FYI: shortboards up to 6'6 fit in the bed. My 7'6 V bowls can be wedged in the bed at and angle with no bag. I only do this at work to hide boards from the crew. To much movement while driving.
Amazing truck!

#2559142 - 10/21/16 12:22 PM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: silentbutdeadly]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
tacoma best vehicle ever if you don't have kids. Once you have kids you run out of room quickly. SMT's F150 is sick. Shortbed compromise but you can get those in a 6 ft bed.

My buddy has a sportsmobile. Amazing but on top of the steep price tag it's a money pit. Crap breaks left and right.

Nothing beats a toyota. I've hammered the fark out of them and they hold up.

When I was shopping for a vehicle I was looking at Tacos and I thought the backseat was too small for my needs. I almost got a F150 like SMTs but even with the 2.7's rated mileage I simply drive too much per day to justify that.

#2559274 - 10/21/16 02:50 PM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: terdy]
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Didn't read the whole thread but......

I bought a used, 03 Tacoma Double Cab last year. It has interior room, but there are definitely times I wish I had a full length bed. I can fit a 6'4" diagonally, but cant fit much more with the shell closed.

I've recently been regretting not getting the double cab with standard bed.

And as others have noted, automatic, 6cyl tacomas get shit gas mileage compared to current model full size trucks.

So, TL;DR

If you want a family/surf/ vehicle, and you're set on a Tacoma, I'd spring for the full size bed on the newer models.

Edited by MrDobalina (10/21/16 02:51 PM)

#2559308 - 10/21/16 03:56 PM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: MrDobalina]
saucerboy Offline
Nep status

Loc: Santa Cruz
tacoma best vehicle ever if you don't have kids. Once you have kids you run out of room quickly.

What kind of stuff breaks? Is it mechanical stuff on the van itself or with things that were added as part of the conversion? I was thinking the vans themselves were solid.

Originally Posted By: MrDobalina

I bought a used, 03 Tacoma Double Cab last year. It has interior room, but there are definitely times I wish I had a full length bed. I can fit a 6'4" diagonally, but cant fit much more with the shell closed.

And as others have noted, automatic, 6cyl tacomas get shit gas mileage compared to current model full size trucks.

So, TL;DR

If you want a family/surf/ vehicle, and you're set on a Tacoma, I'd spring for the full size bed on the newer models.

Not set on a tacoma but it was my default thought. 90% of the time I surf something 6'2 or shorter so the short bed would work for that. Would be nice to be able to lock something in the 7ft range in the shell though when the family is along.

Thanks again for the info from everyone it's really helpful. Next step is to just find a gen 2 double cab to sit in and see how small that rear seat is.

#2559310 - 10/21/16 03:59 PM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: saucerboy]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Originally Posted By: saucerboy
tacoma best vehicle ever if you don't have kids. Once you have kids you run out of room quickly.

What kind of stuff breaks? Is it mechanical stuff on the van itself or with things that were added as part of the conversion? I was thinking the vans themselves were solid.

Originally Posted By: MrDobalina

So, TL;DR

Not set on a tacoma but it was my default thought. 90% of the time I surf something 6'2 or shorter so the short bed would work for that. Would be nice to be able to lock something in the 7ft range in the shell though when the family is along.

Thanks again for the info from everyone it's really helpful. Next step is to just find a gen 2 double cab to sit in and see how small that rear seat is.

Both on the van. Doesn't help that's it's a 6 liter diesel so there's that. But little stuff like suspension... radiator leaked at 30k, battery just fell out (bad design/weld). That's just all I can think of now. A lot of other stuff. Still a really cool vehicle though.

#2559567 - 10/22/16 06:20 AM Re: Toyota Tacoma 4 door? family and surf car? [Re: terdy]
Emmohl80 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

ive had my 15 dcsb for about a year and a half now. Currently rocking two car seats in the back. One forward facing and one rear. They both fit reasonably but luckily my wife is only 5'4 and not cramped with the rear facing seat behind her. I'd like a little more room but don't want a humongous truck either. Already had the rear leaf springs replaced due to a squeak and my passenger window has a weird rattle that Toyota can't seem to figure out. I will say it's a pretty good truck but the quality isn't as good as my 1st gen but nothing major. I've heard the 3rd gens have had some issues.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32