REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551439
10/02/16 06:10 AM
10/02/16 06:10 AM
B
Bman76 Offline
Nep status
Bman76  Offline
Nep status
B

paging Jam71 - he's run a few of these combos in his.

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551446
10/02/16 08:23 AM
10/02/16 08:23 AM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Originally Posted By: kpd73
What's your favorite and why?
Need help and sound advice-

Reason?

I'm running Akila Aipas in my Gary McNeill RTT and they Rip. Love the height- 5.4" - like the flat foil and tips for release - base is decent - 4.8" and overall 19.10" too.

This board has a Way higher top end than I think it's rated for and I'm going to push it there. Just don't want to exceed the Aipa's grasp and be left bummed.
While the RTT is a wide tail modern performance fish, that Torus Channel through the center does provide great hold/Drive/stability and I'm looking for something that I can run when it gets Good.
I want to stay with upright MR style fins - much like the Aipa's but bigger all around- and Performance- Still flat foil and good release. Looking for long fast Carves not snaps.

I have a set of Rasta Sea Shepherds but don't see/Feel this board getting anything other than hold and down the line drive.

So hit me with every and any opinion/review advice/help you've got. Super appreciated in advance, and hope this finds everyone well surfed.

- Keith

Been there and done them all.
If you're lighter then the Aipas are fine.
I was 200lbs (or so) and much preferred the sea shepherds in the rtt. The Aipas didn't have enough fin area for me. Prefer the AMT's since they have a long base for drive but a narrower tip for release. For a twin with longer base but a fuller tip closer to the MR template then the Scarfini twin is a good choice.
For me as a bigger guy for beachbreaks use the AMT's or Scarfinis...points Sea shepherds rule.
For a lightweight on the points then use a K2 instead of the sea shepherds...less area to control and a flat inside foil for better control at speed.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Futures Twins [Re: Goodfish] #2551464
10/02/16 01:29 PM
10/02/16 01:29 PM
K
kpd73 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
kpd73  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Some great suggestions here! I'm stuck with what to go with!

Current choice:

Pushfin's Mr. Twin
Futures AMTs
Futures Akila Aipa
Electric Twins

I've got some Sea Shepherds already, so which fins would best compliment my fin quiver?

Aipa's. Retropete hit it - and thanks much by the way man - on the head for dudes our size.
Aipa's Rule. Mad drive an kniffe slice carves with that stiff fiberglass. You can feel it.
And this way you'll have both ends of the spectrum covered well and can move to whatever side suits you and your waves in the next pair.

Quick RTT tip when waves get /better/longer period? Take a wave and let the board just Go. Give it just enough input to stay up and just cruise. It will high and low line by itself but most importantly you'll feel what the design is doing. Really eye opening. I did it and after that stopped Driving the board like I would when it was lower period/softer waves and started to lean into the wall and let the board and wave draw out the line. It holds at insanely high speeds and through smooth deep power arcs and carves. You're not going to do top to bottom surfing or maneuvers but you Will be in tune with the Energy of the wave directly through the RTT.
Feeling this is what has led me on the search for a bit bigger fins than the Aipa's because I have no doubt that when surfed like this, the top end of the RTT is Massive, and when I get there I think a slightly wider base, yet still quite upright fin will be my go.
You don't need a huge day to feel this just a long period swell. Eye opening and Spirit expanding. Big time.

jam_on

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551466
10/02/16 01:40 PM
10/02/16 01:40 PM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: kpd73
Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Some great suggestions here! I'm stuck with what to go with!

Current choice:

Pushfin's Mr. Twin
Futures AMTs
Futures Akila Aipa
Electric Twins

I've got some Sea Shepherds already, so which fins would best compliment my fin quiver?

Aipa's. Retropete hit it - and thanks much by the way man - on the head for dudes our size.
Aipa's Rule. Mad drive an kniffe slice carves with that stiff fiberglass. You can feel it.
And this way you'll have both ends of the spectrum covered well and can move to whatever side suits you and your waves in the next pair.

Quick RTT tip when waves get /better/longer period? Take a wave and let the board just Go. Give it just enough input to stay up and just cruise. It will high and low line by itself but most importantly you'll feel what the design is doing. Really eye opening. I did it and after that stopped Driving the board like I would when it was lower period/softer waves and started to lean into the wall and let the board and wave draw out the line. It holds at insanely high speeds and through smooth deep power arcs and carves. You're not going to do top to bottom surfing or maneuvers but you Will be in tune with the Energy of the wave directly through the RTT.
Feeling this is what has led me on the search for a bit bigger fins than the Aipa's because I have no doubt that when surfed like this, the top end of the RTT is Massive, and when I get there I think a slightly wider base, yet still quite upright fin will be my go.
You don't need a huge day to feel this just a long period swell. Eye opening and Spirit expanding. Big time.

jam_on

Oh, man! That post makes me wanna cry! I neeeeeeeeeeeed to surf! Wawawawawawa! bawling

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551597
10/02/16 11:15 PM
10/02/16 11:15 PM
GC, Australia
J
JaM71 Offline
Grom
JaM71  Offline
Grom
J

GC, Australia
I ran Aipas in my TT for a couple of years when I picked up a Simon jones channel bottom twinny I put them in that & they go really well there as well. I picked up some AMT"s to put in the TT & they feel good.......so if you are around 165lb either should be fine.

As Pete mentioned it's pretty weight specific, I ran sea sheps in my TT & they worked but they were very tracky. Too much fin for me.

The salty merchant fins look fun but I don't need another set of fins, my aipas & AMT's work fine for me. I should probably try the AMT's in the morning of the earth but If it ain't broke.....

BTW these are epic boards & Simon jones is a true artisan craftsman, beautiful finish. I ve got a diamond tail 4 channel
http://www.morningoftheearthsurfboards.com/tracks_twinny.html

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551612
10/02/16 11:33 PM
10/02/16 11:33 PM
K
kpd73 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
kpd73  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Thanks on the input JaM...and been watching that Torren Martyn - Lost Tracks - video since it was coming out in segments. Radness abounds.

Let's see this Simon Jones 4 channel Diamond tail brother!

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551687
10/03/16 06:04 AM
10/03/16 06:04 AM
east oahu
C
Colin Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Colin  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
C

east oahu
Rode my RTT today with the Stussy twins from True Ames. Didn't really like it. I prefer it with the Rasta keels. Has way more drive with the keels. I don't have a problem with the keels feeling tracks to me. Was a weird ride with the stussy twins. Board lacked spark and actually didn't turn as well as it did with the keels. Not what I expected at all.

I'm on the larger size, about 185. I've got some aipas coming in the mail.

"Everybody is one board away from ripping." - GWS
Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551689
10/03/16 06:08 AM
10/03/16 06:08 AM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Moving the fin cluster back makes a difference in how they feel. If you run them forward then you will need more fin area to get the similar feel.

MR weighed in at like 185 and was running an upright 6"t x 5"b at 10.5" forward of the tail on a 5-10 board. That's a lot of fin area.

Check out the fin template he was using. Little or no recurve in the trailing edge. I guess we can chalk that up to the Hawaiian influence. I'm sure GG has something to say about it - he's posted the board template often enough.

#sowhat
Re: Futures Twins [Re: GDaddy] #2551694
10/03/16 07:45 AM
10/03/16 07:45 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Im kinda done discussing fin templates and positions . drowning

Fun reading all this .

Going to make a special twin in Florida in 2 weeks .

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551716
10/03/16 01:22 PM
10/03/16 01:22 PM
K
kpd73 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
kpd73  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551790
10/03/16 04:56 PM
10/03/16 04:56 PM
T
theGraft Offline
Billy Hamilton status
theGraft  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
T

We can add GG twin fins once they are made in futures cool

Re: Futures Twins [Re: theGraft] #2551824
10/03/16 06:01 PM
10/03/16 06:01 PM
K
kpd73 Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
kpd73  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Originally Posted By: theGraft
We can add GG twin fins once they are made in futures cool

If I had to put my faith in a fin system to Hold and Carve at high speeds- these would be it.

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2551997
10/04/16 12:27 AM
10/04/16 12:27 AM
T
theGraft Offline
Billy Hamilton status
theGraft  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
T

Are Akil Aipas twins on a RTT for the low-end or day-to-day of the spectrum? And the Rastas/K2 for better waves?

Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2552475
10/05/16 12:45 PM
10/05/16 12:45 PM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

OK, so I ordered a set of those sexy blue/green Akila Aipas for my RTT from here:

Shred Factor

I was recommended this online shop by a nice lady called Courtney at Futures. The guy, JD, at Shred Factor was super responsive, and he said he got some new Futures Control Series that aren't even on the Futures website yet.

Dig in!

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Futures Twins [Re: kpd73] #2552479
10/05/16 01:24 PM
10/05/16 01:24 PM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

the RBT and RSC future twins from Rainbow aren't bad lots of rake

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5