REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2547059 - 09/20/16 09:21 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Haoleboy]
barnod Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Bay Area
i learned to surf at the town equiv of vland.... it taught me well, perhaps too well, to be respectful of the regulars and cognizant of everyone that has put in more time than you. the pussification may continue to intensify, but rest assured when a good double up rolls through no one that has competently surfed there for over a decade is gonna concede it to a blow-in.

put in your time and if you snag a good one by chance consider it a gift. that's my MO here in the bay area where my surfing pattern is nomadic as it gets.

#2547072 - 09/20/16 10:33 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: sd_101]
Racer1 Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: sd_101
Originally Posted By: OTdos
" plus I'm brown and try to paddle like Fanning to psych people out"
- erBB gold cheers

+1. roflmao

erBB signature material if I've ever seen it.

"Paddle like you're on fire." wise words from my Uncle.

#2547107 - 09/21/16 12:06 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Haoleboy]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

the real heavy hitters in hawaii...
total blacked out car crowd
super nice family men until you mess up
went to school and hung out with some of their kids
visited and played music for some behind the iron fence
nothing bad to say about any
still the would make any lineup enforcer piss their pants

Edited by oneula (09/21/16 12:14 AM)

#2547140 - 09/21/16 01:31 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: oneula]
teeroi Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: eastside oahu
Don't forget this POS. Killed seven men including my friend Reid's dad. Took a shot at my father when he pushed another targeted employee into the stairway.

#2547142 - 09/21/16 01:46 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: oneula]
Racer1 Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: oneula

Scariest of the scary

Edited by Racer1 (09/21/16 01:48 AM)

#2547144 - 09/21/16 02:20 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Racer1]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Charlie Stevens alert !

#2547155 - 09/21/16 04:07 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Greg Griffin]
Racer1 Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Charlie Stevens alert !

This really should be a movie:
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/02/09/news/story2.html

#2547164 - 09/21/16 07:25 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Haoleboy]
Bonzer5Fin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Moon
Some of those men are the subjects of nightmares for many friends.

"all your sisters belong to me." -- subway

#2547169 - 09/21/16 08:35 AM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Racer1]
Peter1 Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: Racer1
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Charlie Stevens alert !

This really should be a movie:
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/02/09/news/story2.html

Fascinating article. I love reading about local crime bosses. Thanks!

I got lots of waves in HI just by laying low, traveling solo, getting up early and being exceptionally deferential. Only had problems with people who I think would have had problems with anyone...

#2547228 - 09/21/16 12:31 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Racer1]
Mr_Stagger_Lee Offline
Phil Edwards status

Scariest of the scary

Rodney Joseph's uncle, gangster "Uncle Charlie" Stevens, bottom left, was the target of a state and federal investigation that ultimately sent him to prison, where he died in 1999. Other crime figures of the day included hit men Ronnie Ching, bottom right, who confessed to burying a government informant alive in the sand at Maili Beach; and Henry Huihui, at left in top photo, shown in court in 1984.

Dang, I was just talking to my boy yesterday about gangsters on the mainland and how you have to be careful in the big cities! I told him that it's not like that out here because we are.....

...wait for it....

In a peaceful tropical place! lol foreheadslap

It made him feel better anyways! wink

#2547230 - 09/21/16 12:34 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Haoleboy]
000 Offline
Duke status

#2547256 - 09/21/16 01:33 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Racer1]
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: psykophant

Problem is you younger guys don't pull your weight, and all hang out and circle jerk each other instead.
Not to mention all the spot whoring a la Insta and such, it kind of kills your message.
Start regulating.
Pretty easy really.
They should want to paddle in as soon as they see you.
You guys are letting the weeds grow.

Not my place to get combative as I'm not from there.
I surf there maybe 20 times a year.
A Townie like me regulating? That's laughable.
Weeds are fcking tall there.
Only geotag food spots.

There?

I'm talking about everywhere and in general.
Who said anything about geotagging?

You like moving goalposts.

#2547257 - 09/21/16 01:34 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: Mr_Stagger_Lee

Scariest of the scary

Rodney Joseph's uncle, gangster "Uncle Charlie" Stevens, bottom left, was the target of a state and federal investigation that ultimately sent him to prison, where he died in 1999. Other crime figures of the day included hit men Ronnie Ching, bottom right, who confessed to burying a government informant alive in the sand at Maili Beach; and Henry Huihui, at left in top photo, shown in court in 1984.

Dang, I was just talking to my boy yesterday about gangsters on the mainland and how you have to be careful in the big cities! I told him that it's not like that out here because we are.....

...wait for it....

In a peaceful tropical place! lol foreheadslap

It made him feel better anyways! wink

You can have him read this.
https://www.amazon.com/Tattoo-Chris-McKinney/dp/1566473195

#2547270 - 09/21/16 02:00 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Mr_Stagger_Lee]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Charlie was known to cut up his victims .

Rumor was he ate some drowning

You read it on the Interweb so its Fact !

#2547274 - 09/21/16 02:06 PM Re: Things have changed a bit since I was a grom at Velzyland [Re: Aruka]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Aruka
My buddy dropped in on a kooky CA backpaddler at our local last winter. They kinda zig-zagged past eachother a couple times on the overhead right and then collided pretty hard. The guy seemed alright, grabbed his board and duckdived a few waves while my buddy chewed him out. Dude goes to the beach and decides that his back is hurt now. His wife runs down, freaking, helps him hobble up the beach.

Long story short the cops arrest my friend a couple months later for assault with a deadly weapon. (The weapon being the surfboard, which they were claiming caused his injury). I'm not sure of all the details but I think the yuppies were after hospital bills, lost wages, pain/suffering, etc.

My buddy lawyered up and right before the thing was set to go to trial and thankfully, after months of hassle, the charges were dropped.

You know, everyone want to put the hate on lawyers, but sometimes, they are worth their fees.

Excellent outcome.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32