REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 39 1 2 35 36 37 38 39
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: BORDEAUX] #2903008
01/24/19 02:13 AM
01/24/19 02:13 AM
SF x Encinitas
B
bluengreen Offline
Grom
bluengreen  Offline
Grom
B

SF x Encinitas
Originally Posted By: BORDEAUX
Anyone have an opinion on riding a longer Ghost?
I see stock dimensions go up to 7'0"
For the conditions I want to use it in, combined with my age, height, weight etc,, I was contemplating getting a 7'0" as a Step up/semi gun, any thoughts?

I have the stock 6'6, which I ride as a step-up. I'm 6'4, 195. The rails are pretty boaty toward the middle of the board, so I find that I can't just sink them or knife takeoffs like I do on my HPSB. Really have to use my back foot and engage that foiled tail area. I think that degree to which Jon tapers the mid-rail has been exaggerated by some. Depending on how and where you surf, you may want to either order a thinner and narrower custom or go with a more traditional step-up. Looks like the 7'0 is 47 liters, which is A LOT meat for a board of that length.

Last edited by bluengreen; 01/24/19 02:18 AM.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2903216
01/24/19 06:02 PM
01/24/19 06:02 PM
P
Pyzel Offline
Grom
Pyzel  Offline
Grom
P

Hi Maz---- thanks for all your nice feedback on all the boards you've had from me!
As far as narrowing up the Ghost vs. stock dims, there is no reason not to, if you prefer narrower boards. When I am figuring out stock sizing for ANY model I just try to make what I think will suit the greatest number of people the best, but that does not mean that those dims are good for everyone. I prefer narrower dims than the stock boards myself, and other people want to go wider.
The one thing to keep in mind when going narrower is that the slightly wide nose outline of the Ghost means that it has less curve overall in the mid part of the outline, so going narrower will possibly make it feel a touch more "gunny". At the same time narrower boards feel quicker rail-to-rail, so that may compensate for that feeling.
Hope this helps guide you

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: BORDEAUX] #2903218
01/24/19 06:04 PM
01/24/19 06:04 PM
P
Pyzel Offline
Grom
Pyzel  Offline
Grom
P

That is a good call, or check out the Padillac, which is similar to the Ghost and great as a step-up

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Pyzel] #2903249
01/24/19 07:28 PM
01/24/19 07:28 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Originally Posted By: Pyzel
Hi Maz---- thanks for all your nice feedback on all the boards you've had from me!
As far as narrowing up the Ghost vs. stock dims, there is no reason not to, if you prefer narrower boards. When I am figuring out stock sizing for ANY model I just try to make what I think will suit the greatest number of people the best, but that does not mean that those dims are good for everyone. I prefer narrower dims than the stock boards myself, and other people want to go wider.
The one thing to keep in mind when going narrower is that the slightly wide nose outline of the Ghost means that it has less curve overall in the mid part of the outline, so going narrower will possibly make it feel a touch more "gunny". At the same time narrower boards feel quicker rail-to-rail, so that may compensate for that feeling.

Thanks a lot, Jon.

It's no secret that you make incredible boards. I have a 5'10 Nugget wing swallow, 6'0 Pyzalien, and 6'3 Ghost, and they've all been ridden a lot, and taken several hundreds of days of abuse. They are all great boards, and I can 100% vouch for the build quality from your Aussie team.

Will look into a 6'3 x 19 3/8 replacement.

Cheers

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Pyzel] #2903351
01/24/19 09:58 PM
01/24/19 09:58 PM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted By: Pyzel
rockin

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2903360
01/24/19 10:11 PM
01/24/19 10:11 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Yep, he's a gentleman!

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2934345
03/27/19 01:58 AM
03/27/19 01:58 AM
T
TommyD Offline
Grom
TommyD  Offline
Grom
T

Hi All,

After a bit of help on Ghost sizing. I live in NZ so getting custom anything from the likes of Pyzel takes longer than the instant gratification side of my brain likes (wife did a psychology degree!). Therefore, I am tossing up whether the 6'1" stock dim ghost is best or the 6'2".

I currently ride the stock 5'11" Phantom with 31 lts of volume so I was thinking the 6'2" to give me that length I need for a step up (small step up as I am no massive wave charger but would like something with a little more hold in the juicy stiff above my phantom). The only issue is the litreage comes out at 32.8 and that worries me a little when I usually ride a 31 lt.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2934399
03/27/19 03:57 AM
03/27/19 03:57 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm 6'1 and 190 pounds.
I got to feel up a 6'1 and a 6'2 before I ordered.
The 6'1 felt a little thin for it to be a good wave board (the rails and tail are REALLY foiled out thin).
The 6'2 dimensions felt much better, so I custom ordered a 6'1 with 6'2 dimensions, which came out to 32 liters.
It doesn't feel like 32 liters to me, it paddles really well but still very responsive when riding it.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: TommyD] #2934428
03/27/19 05:41 AM
03/27/19 05:41 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Originally Posted By: TommyD
Hi All,

After a bit of help on Ghost sizing. I live in NZ so getting custom anything from the likes of Pyzel takes longer than the instant gratification side of my brain likes (wife did a psychology degree!). Therefore, I am tossing up whether the 6'1" stock dim ghost is best or the 6'2".

I currently ride the stock 5'11" Phantom with 31 lts of volume so I was thinking the 6'2" to give me that length I need for a step up (small step up as I am no massive wave charger but would like something with a little more hold in the juicy stiff above my phantom). The only issue is the litreage comes out at 32.8 and that worries me a little when I usually ride a 31 lt.

Cheers,

Tom

Talk to Jon directly:

https://beachgrit.com/2019/03/interview-...ou-think-it-is/

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Waxfoot] #2934435
03/27/19 08:54 AM
03/27/19 08:54 AM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted By: Waxfoot
Hi All,

Cheers,

Tom

Talk to Jon directly:

I like hearing people's input here., especially when Pyzel and other shapers chime in, should be beneficial to the shapers that take the time, nearly all my most recent customs were from the shapers that have chimed in directly here or other forums. (i currently live in too remote a place for a local shaper)
might even help people choose a better off the rack size

Last edited by SharkBoy; 03/27/19 08:57 AM.

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2934679
03/27/19 08:19 PM
03/27/19 08:19 PM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
I went 19 1/4 on my 6'2 Ghost and it feels great. That's generally my standard shortboard width. Sometimes I ride 19 /18.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Waxfoot] #2934812
03/28/19 12:31 AM
03/28/19 12:31 AM
Central Coast CA
W
Wraptail Offline
Grom
Wraptail  Offline
Grom
W

Central Coast CA
Originally Posted By: Waxfoot
Hi All,

Cheers,

Tom

Talk to Jon directly:

That was a bit odd to read - I dont understand how anyone could by a board based one one sole parameter. I also hear a lot of shapers whining about customers relying too much on volume.

The thing is - theres so much subjective, as well as ill defined and marketing bullshit hyped board parameter descriptors. An example low entry rocker - WTF does that even mean? And its hard to see in a photo or even in person-the nose foil can give optical illusions - make a rocker look flatter or more curvy.

So theres not a whole to go on - so customers will cling to any actual parameters they can get. Some leaning too heavily on volume- not their fault; they want real, useful parameters. Shapers want to protect their designs.

Rather than volume, Id rather know the width and thickness 12 from nose, wide point and 12 from tail. THAT will tell you a lot. Not gonna happen.

If youre going to get a board from a local shaper its a great idea to take 2-3 boards to him and explain what you love or hate about each performance wise. Theyll hopefully feel up the rails n take some measurements to dial in what your actual needs are/what works for you and what doesnt.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: kool-aid] #2951721
05/08/19 06:21 PM
05/08/19 06:21 PM
F
fishtank Offline
Gerry Lopez status
fishtank  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
F

Going to pick my Ghost up in the next few days. Here in South Africa for a few months and ordered a Ghost shortly after arriving. 6'1" x 18.88 x 2.56 @ 29.2L of volume. The ordering process is pretty smooth with a quick turnaround time. I don't know if they're rushing boards out over there but the shaper managed to screw up my order the first time, cut the board at 2.38 instead of 2.56. Shipped it for pickup with 29.2L on the stringer @ 2.38, went to fondle the board and knew something was wrong. Had to have it redone at the proper thickness. On the 2nd they managed to botch the spray on the stringer, I asked for black to match the rails and it came out crooked. Scoped a few of the other customs with black stringer spray and they came out okay. Just an unlucky chain of events maybe? Still have to take the board because it is much needed for the rest of the trip. I'm sure Pyzel would appreciate to hear some feedback regarding these issues.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2951957
05/08/19 10:33 PM
05/08/19 10:33 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Yeew, TIA bru!

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2952269
05/09/19 04:51 PM
05/09/19 04:51 PM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
I also had some problems with my order with Pyzel. One of the boards came out too thick but in their defense, it was an early set of dims that I later changed. Still, when you ask for three measurements (length, width and thickness) you kind of expect them to get that right.

Boards sure do work well though so what can you do...

Page 37 of 39 1 2 35 36 37 38 39