REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 38 1 2 34 35 36 37 38
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2878238
11/21/18 05:08 PM
11/21/18 05:08 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Thank YOU, Jon!

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2878278
11/21/18 05:46 PM
11/21/18 05:46 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted By: Goodfish
I like the look of that Phantom. What dims did you get?

6'1" x 19 3/4" x 2 7/16" 30.5L

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
That ghost looks pretty damn good for your waves up there Aruka, curious to hear your review.

I've already had a 6'5" XTR Ghost since April. It's great but I went 6'3" on this one because those two inches of length are all that is standing between myself and absolutely shredding finally.

hat

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Pyzel] #2878519
11/22/18 02:04 AM
11/22/18 02:04 AM
B
BrownFish Offline
Michael Peterson status
BrownFish  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Ordering a Gremlin from DKs/MBs shop in Oceanside. Which fins do the folks with Gremlins like, and if Pyzel himself has any recommendations that would be great too. I plan to ride it in waist to HH beach break type Surf in this area.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Aruka] #2879422
11/25/18 05:20 PM
11/25/18 05:20 PM
NorOR
S
SeaFoamGreen Offline
Nep status
SeaFoamGreen  Offline
Nep status
S

NorOR
Originally Posted By: Aruka
I've already had a 6'5" XTR Ghost since April. It's great but I went 6'3" on this one because those two inches of length are all that is standing between myself and absolutely shredding finally.

What fins have you been liking in that Ghost?

May be going to hell in a bucket.... but at least I'm enjoying the ride!
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: SeaFoamGreen] #2879454
11/25/18 06:27 PM
11/25/18 06:27 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted By: SeaFoamGreen
Originally Posted By: Aruka

What fins have you been liking in that Ghost?

JJF med, Dane Med, AM1 fiberglass. I'm 172lb. and generally ride large fins but prefer medium size in this board. Dane Med probably the fav, just a little more drive with the decently large side fins but still loose with that small center.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Pyzel] #2879767
11/26/18 04:40 PM
11/26/18 04:40 PM
E
e11even Offline
Grom
e11even  Offline
Grom
E

Originally Posted By: Pyzel
Originally Posted By: e11even
To answer some previous posters,here is some feed back on the Ghost, Phantom and Gremlin. First off these boards are the most volume I have ever ridden in short boards by 1.5 to 2 liters more than my standard HPSB. They have definitely changed my mind on ridding more volume. I really dont feel it while riding the wave but helps with paddling and catching the waves for sure. One thing they all have in common is the forward volume and thickness up front and bit wider or fuller outline in the front half. I like this though and it is weird getting back on my other HPSB's after ridding the Pyzels.

I got the Ghost (stock 5'11") first since I was looking for a good wave travel board and hurricane swell board. The board just plain works. I feel confident on this board when the waves are overhead and have power. The board paddles well, holds well, can take late drops without pearling and still turn on a dime. Maybe only downside is not as loose but I would rather it hold than be too loose when on a wave of consequence. Like others have said dont get too hung up on the volume and thickness, the board is really nicely foiled. Some Brazilians staying in the room next to us at K59 asked to look at my ghost and gremlin and couldn't believe the Ghost was actually thicker than the gremlin I had. I have been riding it with the JJF medium tech flex and no complaints.

I recently got the Phantom(stock 5'9") and really clicked with this board. It is great for that chest high to a couple feet over head. Once it gets solid 8ft faces I am pulling out the Ghost. Again paddles well, catches waves well, takes late drops like a champ. And has the looseness and more high performance feel. It did great in fun 4 to 7 ft reef break and beach break in Costa Rica on a recent trip.I have been riding this with the large Merrick thrusters and works good.

The Gremlin is 5'7" x 19.5 x 2 3/8 29 L. The gremlin is a great all arounder for here in Florida. perfect for those weaker waves and still can handle it when there is a head high set. It feels like a HPSB and is so much fun. I take this out in gutless 2ft to chest/shoulder high. Shoulder to head+ I grab the Phantom and when its solid head to overhead the ghost comes out. The gremlin definitely carries the volume or thickness to the rails more so you can go a bit thinner or probably similar thickness to your standard HPSB. I chose to go longer and glad I did as it helps paddle and catch waves and has the extra length for when the waves are a bit bigger. I tried it as a thruster first but like the K2.1 quad set. It gives it a bit more speed but still have that good maneuverability with the upright fins.

As I have said before Jon has nailed it with these shapes. I really dont need much else for 95% of the surfing I do. And like he says you can switch between the different boards with ease and it doesn't feel like you just went from one extreme to the other. I donated to the California fire fund raiser that Pyzel started and you have a chance to win a board. ENTER HERE . If I were to win I would get another Ghost made custom for up to DOH waves.
For anyone considering one of these boards just do it, you really cant go wrong with any of them. I am so stocked on these boards! Thanks Jon, your boards are amazing.

Wow! Thanks for the breakdown and great review of the boards. I may have to copy/paste this into our next model brochure! Stoked that you are enjoying them and really appreciate your time and effort in sharing your opinions and feelings about these boards. The way that people really embraced the Ghost (thanks to amazing surfing on it by JJF) opened up space for us to build off of that design and bring some different boards to the general public that may not have made it otherwise. It has been really cool for me to have so many people truly excited about surfing on this group of boards that is so user friendly, yet high performance. Thanks for being a part of it.

Jon, really appreciate your reply and feel free to use any of my review how you like. We had a nice swell here in Florida over the weekend and rode all three models as the swell started out a few feet overhead rode the ghost then next session the phantom and yesterday the gremlin as it dropped down to chest high. I am really loving the Phantom, it definitely falls into the magic board category. Thanks again Jon, really happy with these boards!

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2885286
12/10/18 03:34 AM
12/10/18 03:34 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Anybody on a Gremlin?

Was out shopping with the wife and saw a rack of them at Rip Curl store. Pulled a few off the rack, looked kinda like a dumpster diver when mimicing being prone on one. Do you size ultra small like a pod mod / superbuzz / RNF / Fish? Or Stubby in betweener like White Diamond / Rocket / Dumpster / Neck Beard?

Last edited by Racer1; 12/10/18 03:41 AM.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Racer1] #2885288
12/10/18 03:53 AM
12/10/18 03:53 AM
HB
D
Dawn_patrol Offline
Michael Peterson status
Dawn_patrol  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

HB
I ordered a Ghost 63 20 2-3/4 at 34.5L from Real on their Black Friday sale. Got it earlier this week and Im amped to ride it. Thickness under the chest and stringer line. Definitely foiled out and feels epic under the arm. This will be my good wave board around here and Ill report back once I get it into a few.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Dawn_patrol] #2885456
12/10/18 05:49 PM
12/10/18 05:49 PM
SF x Encinitas
B
bluengreen Offline
Grom
bluengreen  Offline
Grom
B

SF x Encinitas
Originally Posted By: Dawn_patrol
I ordered a Ghost 63 20 2-3/4 at 34.5L from Real on their Black Friday sale. Got it earlier this week and Im amped to ride it. Thickness under the chest and stringer line. Definitely foiled out and feels epic under the arm. This will be my good wave board around here and Ill report back once I get it into a few.

Sweet. Those are my HPSB dims. Did you size up from your normal dims? I sized up a few inches for surf in the 8-10 foot range, and it's been so solid. I push over the ledge with confidence on the Ghost. I can tell that even at HPSB dims the Ghost has incredible hold in good waves. Have fun and report back!

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: bluengreen] #2885704
12/10/18 11:50 PM
12/10/18 11:50 PM
HB
D
Dawn_patrol Offline
Michael Peterson status
Dawn_patrol  Offline
Michael Peterson status
D

HB
Originally Posted By: bluengreen
Originally Posted By: Dawn_patrol

Sweet. Those are my HPSB dims. Did you size up from your normal dims? I sized up a few inches for surf in the 8-10 foot range, and it's been so solid. I push over the ledge with confidence on the Ghost. I can tell that even at HPSB dims the Ghost has incredible hold in good waves. Have fun and report back!

Id say this is step up dimensions for me, at least in the past. Id usually go 32-33L so this one is 34.5. I have a feeling Ill be stoked with it a big bigger for currents and confidence

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2902500
01/23/19 04:03 AM
01/23/19 04:03 AM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Anybody go a good deal narrower on their custom Ghost?

I've had and loved my stock 6'3 for two years now, and I'm curious about getting another one, but maybe 19 1/4 or 19 1/2" wide. Still looks really good, so I could sell it easily and order a new one.

Jon, if you're reading this, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on narrowing it down.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Pyzel] #2902532
01/23/19 10:25 AM
01/23/19 10:25 AM
B
BORDEAUX Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
BORDEAUX  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
B

Anyone have an opinion on riding a longer Ghost?
I see stock dimensions go up to 7'0"
For the conditions I want to use it in, combined with my age, height, weight etc,, I was contemplating getting a 7'0" as a Step up/semi gun, any thoughts?

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2902674
01/23/19 05:42 PM
01/23/19 05:42 PM
OB/NCSD
H
Hoarder Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hoarder  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

OB/NCSD
Originally Posted By: Maz

I've had and loved my stock 6'3 for two years now, and I'm curious about getting another one, but maybe 19 1/4 or 19 1/2" wide. Still looks really good, so I could sell it easily and order a new one.

Jon, if you're reading this, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on narrowing it down.

I think several of us have. I have a 6'3" x 19.5" x 2.5" XTR ghost and I love it but it's a little small for a "step up" so I might order a new one and swap it out. I rode a friends stock 6'3" and it felt good but I prefer the somewhat narrower version I got.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Hoarder] #2902716
01/23/19 06:43 PM
01/23/19 06:43 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted By: Hoarder
Originally Posted By: Maz

I think several of us have. I have a 6'3" x 19.5" x 2.5" XTR ghost and I love it but it's a little small for a "step up" so I might order a new one and swap it out. I rode a friends stock 6'3" and it felt good but I prefer the somewhat narrower version I got.

I have ghosts @ 6'5" x 19/14 and 6'3" x 19 3/8". I like em. I'm pretty sure JJF and many other pros are riding quite a bit narrower than stock so the design definitely works at those narrower widths for them.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2902938
01/23/19 11:37 PM
01/23/19 11:37 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Thanks Aruka and Hoarder.