REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 >
View All Topics Index
#2894080 - 01/04/19 05:13 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Kento]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Kento
Nice pics, afoaf!

On subject of Death Valley, have you read about the search for the German family? Great write-up.

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Oh and just for fun, for those who do a lot of hiking, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit....#ampf=undefined

crazy2 crazy2

I enjoy those search and rescue stories...thanks for the link. cheers .

#2894082 - 01/04/19 05:16 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Kento]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
The faked moon landing thing is getting big again. I wonder what the next conspiracy trend is going to be

Keeping it nature related, the staircases in the forest one seems to be gaining a little traction. shrug

Hiking Bertha Peak in Big Bear solo around midnight/1 AM was creepy as hell. Very disconcerting that standing close to the support building shut down my phone AND headlamp. Both of which started working again after I departed the area. confused2

I could only imagine the things that would happen deep in the backcountry in certain parts of Nevada.

What Is this forest staircase thing? Is it like the Gobeki Tepe Magicians of the Gods thing?

#2894087 - 01/04/19 05:26 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: ifallalot]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

The faked moon landing thing is getting big again. I wonder what the next conspiracy trend is going to be

1) The stock market is rigged for the 1%ers!

2) The IRS isn't in the Constitution...you don't have to pay income tax! (this may be seasonal and peaking around April 15, but it seems to come and go with varying degrees of intensity over the years).

3) The Lone Star Tick with its bite consequences is a DNA engineered plot by PETA.

4) The new solar minimum means we'll soon have two "moons" and enter a new ice age until the 3rd sun is turned on by our dome masters.

#2894090 - 01/04/19 05:31 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: ifallalot]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Keeping it nature related, the staircases in the forest one seems to be gaining a little traction. shrug

Hiking Bertha Peak in Big Bear solo around midnight/1 AM was creepy as hell. Very disconcerting that standing close to the support building shut down my phone AND headlamp. Both of which started working again after I departed the area. confused2

I could only imagine the things that would happen deep in the backcountry in certain parts of Nevada.

What Is this forest staircase thing? Is it like the Gobeki Tepe Magicians of the Gods thing?

Staircase stories are fun. I think a few of these were built for access into movable, elevated structures. When work is done, take away the mobile, elevated structure, leave the steps.

Structures rot pretty quick in the wild......but abandoned missile bases seem to just fill up with water.

#2894093 - 01/04/19 05:33 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Mr Doof]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

Quote:
Roadway after the beehives (going up) was closed?

You come in from the north (past Skidoo) or up from Panamint Valley?

NIce pics....I am envious. Death Valley in winter is nearly as much fun as it is in summer.

not closed so much as people weren't really prepared for the snow

we came in from Skidoo side

it was deadsville in the campgrounds....surprise snow hike!
Comment noted in patient's file, Wed 7:36 AM.

#2894094 - 01/04/19 05:34 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Mr Doof]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

1) The stock market is rigged for the 1%ers!

2) The IRS isn't in the Constitution...you don't have to pay income tax! (this may be seasonal and peaking around April 15, but it seems to come and go with varying degrees of intensity over the years).

3) The Lone Star Tick with its bite consequences is a DNA engineered plot by PETA.

4) The new solar minimum means we'll soon have two "moons" and enter a new ice age until the 3rd sun is turned on by our dome masters.

Yeah the proponents of #2 forget about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

#2894099 - 01/04/19 05:37 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Mr Doof]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Staircase stories are fun. I think a few of these were built for access into movable, elevated structures. When work is done, take away the mobile, elevated structure, leave the steps.

Structures rot pretty quick in the wild......but abandoned missile bases seem to just fill up with water.

My favorite is the Walker Lake conspiracies

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread300230/pg1

http://www.theeventchronicle.com/editors-pick/massive-submerged-entrance-found-california-coast/

#2894106 - 01/04/19 05:48 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Mr Doof]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Nice pics, afoaf!

On subject of Death Valley, have you read about the search for the German family? Great write-up.

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Oh and just for fun, for those who do a lot of hiking, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit....#ampf=undefined

crazy2 crazy2

I enjoy those search and rescue stories...thanks for the link. cheers .

Absolutely! cheers

There's some good hiking scare-stories in the nosleep subreddit. drowning

Russ Meyer

#2894109 - 01/04/19 05:58 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: ifallalot]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

My favorite is the Walker Lake conspiracies

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread300230/pg1

http://www.theeventchronicle.com/editors-pick/massive-submerged-entrance-found-california-coast/

Oh Jesus. roflmao

Going back to the creepy wilderness stories, another good site is the Missing411 one which details the people gone missing in national parks and such. Lot of plausible explanations (mostly people doing dumb things) for them but it is funny to see the wingnuts coming out of the woodwork attaching it all to vast government conspiracies. rolleyes

Russ Meyer

#2894118 - 01/04/19 07:39 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Joshua2415]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

That sub base in Malibu connecting to a lake in Nevada sotry is great!

300 or so miles of underground tunnel from offshore Malibu (the oil platforms are a front!), under/through a granite batholith (basement rocks of the Sierra Nevada), past some crazy volcanism (Long Valley caldera) ..so this is why the soda tax was really put into place here in San Francisco. We need to pay for one the most wild engineering projects the world has ever seen!

And it would explain all those spiders at Walker Lake....obvious nuke sub radiation effects.

#2894154 - 01/04/19 11:11 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Kento]
silentbutdeadly Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Death valley Germans was awesome, thanks erbB. I can't remember what thread that originated on.

I'll check out the other stories.

#2894171 - 01/05/19 12:50 AM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Mr Doof]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: the janitor
Originally Posted By: patrolman
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Subfreezing temps are the best time for the desert. Basically the only time you can take maximum advantage of what the desert has to offer...

We had an experience at Pinnacles NP last winter (page 10 of this thread). It was unexpected. As soon as we got to the campground I went to the camp store to buy ice. foreheadslap I have this obsessive need for ice cold beer after hiking shrug

We woke up the next morning and everything was frozen. All our liquids, The campground taps. 1.5 liter bottles frozen solid. We couldn't drink anything for hours. I've learned to always have water in a pot before going to bed so I can heat it up and melt it in te morning.

I still would have gone but the wife and kid gave me the thumbs down.

ohhh, good tip, thanks cheers

I am sure the raccoons and/or feral pigs at Pinnacles will appreciate the clean (liquid) water in a pot at your campsite.

Thankfully I learned not to do this by overhearing of other people's involuntary wild-life feeding/watering experiences.

Keep the water in your tent or camper. Or someone suggested to me to heat it up and put it in a hot water bottle. Two birds with one stone- warm up the sleeping bag on a freezing night and have liquid the next morning. I've never done it because I figure the water would taste bad, but waking up and not being able to drink anything for hours was drag.

Kento, what were you doing hiking at 1:00 am? I'd be thinking about how mountain lions are efficient nocturnal hunters.

#2894184 - 01/05/19 01:50 AM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: patrolman]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Was camping with family and friends near the trailhead and I wanted to get the view of Big Bear Lake at night. Couldn't really convince anyone else. Way up there is called Cougar Crest Trail so cats and bears were a little on the mind. It was really well travelled during the day so I guessed/hoped it would keep most wildlife a little at bay. Kept a 360 view around me at all times and listened for anything that sounded suspicious like bugs going quiet all of a sudden. Was actually more worried about some crazy tweaker coming out of nowhere. roflmao Uneventful wildlife-wise except for seeing a large rabbit on way down upon which we both regarded each other and went separate ways.

View from top was cool. Would have been pretty serene if not for howling wind. roflmao

Speaking of cats, I won't go to Whiting Ranch with kids again. Red Rock Canyon is cool but saw a big cat track on way down that wasn't there on the way up. Been an attack there before too. That was pretty sketchy. Way too easy to picture one of them getting snatched by one. That would very much suck.

Russ Meyer

#2894257 - 01/05/19 11:18 AM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: Kento]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Was camping with family and friends near the trailhead and I wanted to get the view of Big Bear Lake at night. Couldn't really convince anyone else. Way up there is called Cougar Crest Trail so cats and bears were a little on the mind. It was really well travelled during the day so I guessed/hoped it would keep most wildlife a little at bay. Kept a 360 view around me at all times and listened for anything that sounded suspicious like bugs going quiet all of a sudden. Was actually more worried about some crazy tweaker coming out of nowhere. roflmao Uneventful wildlife-wise except for seeing a large rabbit on way down upon which we both regarded each other and went separate ways.

View from top was cool. Would have been pretty serene if not for howling wind. roflmao

Speaking of cats, I won't go to Whiting Ranch with kids again. Red Rock Canyon is cool but saw a big cat track on way down that wasn't there on the way up. Been an attack there before too. That was pretty sketchy. Way too easy to picture one of them getting snatched by one. That would very much suck.

Red Rock just past Mojave? I've always driven past there going up the 395 and always said to myself I want to camp and hike there some day but never get around to doing it.

As far as the NPs go, if they can't maintain and protect them during the shutdown IMHO they should just close them.

#2894284 - 01/05/19 12:15 PM Re: Happy 100th Birthday to our National Parks [Re: patrolman]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Originally Posted By: patrolman

Red Rock just past Mojave? I've always driven past there going up the 395 and always said to myself I want to camp and hike there some day but never get around to doing it.

As far as the NPs go, if they can't maintain and protect them during the shutdown IMHO they should just close them.

Nah, it's the one near Lake Forest in OC.

Like you, I've driven past that Red Rock Canyon many times but never really explored. Looks like it would be a lot of fun although campground looks like it leaves a lot to be desired. This is the time of the year for going out to desert.

Agreed about the park closures without adequate staff. Would add the people littering/causing problems are the same donkeys blasting music on the trails. That was the nice thing about night hiking that peak - a lot more peaceful than during the day.

Waiting for a sale but I definitely want to get an InReach for when I'm doing solo hikes.

Russ Meyer

Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32