REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2654956 - 06/24/17 09:19 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: Aruka]
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: NOC
Originally Posted By: Aruka
Made a Stamps order a couple weeks ago. 6'2" 30L GX in EPS is one of the boards on the way. Can't wait.

Always gotta board on order. .....stoked rockin shaka

#2654971 - 06/24/17 10:02 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: laidback]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
Originally Posted By: laidback
Made a Stamps order a couple weeks ago. 6'2" 30L GX in EPS is one of the boards on the way. Can't wait.

roflmao applause2 cheers

Aruka - you make my board hoarding seem mellow by comparison. This is both a good and bad thing.

#2654994 - 06/24/17 10:57 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: sd_101]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: sd_101
Originally Posted By: laidback

roflmao applause2 cheers

Aruka - you make my board hoarding seem mellow by comparison. This is both a good and bad thing.

Not gonna lie sometimes I feel like I might have a problem but...in the scheme of things it's not too bad. I live pretty frugal in most ways. No kids. Don't drink alcohol or eat out much.

Been hiring my gf's cousin to work with me on the property this year. He's like 28 years old. I like him. He's a smart guy. Well read and educated. I pay him $15 an hour to help me which is pretty good for around here. It's not like a lot of money though. Every morning on his way to work he stops at the coffee shop and gets a $5 latte and tips $2. That's 2.5K a year right there. Not to mention the $50-100 he probably spends most weekends on drinks and eating out. There's another 2.5K or so. Dude wonders why he's always broke.

I prob get 4-6 or so boards a year. So 2-3K maybe? Plus I sell a few so that offsets it a bit. And I def ain't making 15 an hour.

I know I don't have to justify myself to you guys. Just practicing for when this next order comes in and my girl is like, "really?" haha.

#2655005 - 06/24/17 11:36 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

I'm in a similar boat. Relatively cheap (and healthy) addiction in comparison to others. I'll take surfboards and dawn patrol over boozing any day cheers

we need our buddy Sublime to chime in to make us feel better.

Topic related because I bought my GX off him, and subsequently ordered 3 customs from Tim over the next 6 months.

#2740982 - 01/28/18 08:21 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: sd_101]
Dawn_patrol Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: HB
Just picked up a clean GX locally off Craigslist. 6 19-7/8 2-5/8 and 33L. Clean and priced well. Cant wait to give it a go. Looks perfect as a local DD

#2741214 - 01/29/18 12:46 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Nice score Dawn_patrolcheers

Let us know how it goes!

I sold my short and fat 6'0" GX (formerly scotter's) to my best surf buddy when my 6'2" slimmer EPS version arrived. It's been a game changer for him on the smaller and/or trickier days. He's a pretty heavy footed guy that has always struggled in weaker conditions but now he's like pumped to go grovel in some sh1t beachies with me.

The EPS one goes amazing for me. A bit slimmer, thinner rails that I can bury easier. Still has that crazy big sweet spot and plenty of drive. AM2's felt good but like they were drawing my turns out a little more than I wanted. JJF large have been feeling better and I'll throw a JJF Medium in the center when the waves look weak. I don't think I've had a bad session on this board yet, it really seems to be able to make something out of nothing and when the waves are clean and fun sized it just goes off.

#2741468 - 01/29/18 10:17 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: Aruka]
Dawn_patrol Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: HB
Nice score Dawn_patrolcheers

Let us know how it goes!

I sold my short and fat 6'0" GX (formerly scotter's) to my best surf buddy when my 6'2" slimmer EPS version arrived. It's been a game changer for him on the smaller and/or trickier days. He's a pretty heavy footed guy that has always struggled in weaker conditions but now he's like pumped to go grovel in some sh1t beachies with me.

The EPS one goes amazing for me. A bit slimmer, thinner rails that I can bury easier. Still has that crazy big sweet spot and plenty of drive. AM2's felt good but like they were drawing my turns out a little more than I wanted. JJF large have been feeling better and I'll throw a JJF Medium in the center when the waves look weak. I don't think I've had a bad session on this board yet, it really seems to be able to make something out of nothing and when the waves are clean and fun sized it just goes off.

Sounds like a good one, eps would be amazing. Yeah, Im stoked to grab a really nice used one. Knowing what I like, I can tell it will go off. My go-to MB2 fins were rusted into my old Robert Black Diamond so Im going to try my AM2s first then my MB1s. May end up grabbing some new fins though. Will check out the Jordys.

#2841122 - 09/02/18 08:28 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
paunch23 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, D...
So whats danes file again. Thinking about gettin a grinderX.

59 at 19.5, and 510 at 19.63 both sound a little wide to me. I have been narrowin my boards and like the feel.

Im really liking a pyzel stubbybastard and that board is 510x19.25.
Maybe i could go with those same dims on a GX? Thatd be 510x19.25 and i think 2.4 thick or somethin.

Im 59 and 170-175. Really liking the feel of a little less volume. 30+ felt alittle too much for a daily driver.

Edited by paunch23 (09/02/18 08:29 PM)

#2841148 - 09/02/18 08:55 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Mine is a Dane file 510 x 19.5 x 2.28 @28.4L

Im sure Tim will customize yours how you please.

No idea Dane vs stock. I had one second hand pretty similar as Aruka and then used it as the basis for my custom.

#2841333 - 09/03/18 11:23 AM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: paunch23]
LBBoozer Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Long Beach, CA
My grinderx is 5'10" x 19.25 x 2.38 so you should just ask him to narrow it up a little if you prefer. Tim is super easy to work with.

#2841716 - 09/04/18 01:35 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: paunch23]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: LA
I just picked up a slimmed down GX from Tim a couple of weeks ago. Definitely doable as a custom.

#2845145 - 09/11/18 05:57 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: bird.]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Surprise surprise, GX version 2 is exactly what I wanted. 1/16 thicker with foiled rails, nose pulled in slightly, and tail flip behind the rear fin did what it was supposed to. That's why you custom.

If anyone wants a used GX 5'11" 19 3/4 2.5 squash with FCS 5 fin I'll sell for cheap. Used but definitely some life left.

#2845302 - 09/12/18 12:39 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

stocked for you SBD.

my EPS GX saw a lot of use this summer. just such a versatile board that never lets me down.

it's got some moderate footwells but the bottom is mint and it still feels as lively as day 1. I've been trying to think of any tweaks I would do when I replace it but I honestly don't know if I would want it any different, which I don't think I've ever said about a board. maybe I would go an inch shorter to 6'1" just to fit into tight pockets a little easier. I had to sacrifice any paddling or wave catching ability though.

Oh and I've been running those AM2 proto fins $$$.

#2845321 - 09/12/18 01:27 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Hoarder Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: OB/NCSD
Did you do Tim's regular eps glass job? I was thinking about subbing in a layer of s-cloth on my next board.

#2845423 - 09/12/18 05:29 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

I asked Tim what he recommended for performance and he said 4x4+4 with 1/16" bass stringer. I forget the blank weight but definitely something light. No s-glass as far as I know.

I did get a strip of carbon on the deck side but that's mostly just for looking cool I reckon.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >