REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2533903 - 08/12/16 08:09 PM Stamps Grinder X Review
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
I know there's a massive thread on here but I always think it's cool when you can bring up a thread about a particular model and just read about that.

My Board:
5'11 19 3/4 2.5 31.4 L
4/4 3/4 4 Poly with FCS 2

Me:

6'0" 200-205 39 years old. Intermediate to occasionally advanced moments

Some history:

I've been experimenting with a few daily drivers in the last few years and while I've had a couple of good ones, nothing was really magic. There was always something that slightly bugged me about certain design features of the board. I went from stub thruster, to stub quad, then tried two more stub thrusters again and while they worked, again just nothing that got me super excited.

After seeing the sci phi deal I was convinced I wanted one but after feeling up a few on the rack and the crazy lack of availability, I pulled back. I ran into the opportunity to borrow Retodd's GX. A little bigger than I'm used to and EPS/Epoxy so the paddle and float felt great... amazing actually. Took a bit to get used to it but pretty much fell in love with it after a couple of sessions. But after getting used to it, I decided if I were to get one I would bring in the width a bit as it was hanging up in certain sections just slightly. I surf crappy beachbreaks that have ever changing sections so maybe that had something to do with it. Retodd's board for me would be better suited for a trestles style wave.

Any way, decided to order a stamps. He's 1.5 hours away but I work in an office 5 minutes from his shop twice a month so I figured why not?

We exchanged emails to narrow down a but then just finished over the phone. I opted not to wait to see him since we were basically just tweaking Todd's board and he has the file.

We brought in the width 1/4 inch and the tail about the same and added an overall inch to the board. We both agreed on the dims and decided to go poly since I wasn't quite sold on the EPS/Epoxy feel. It was really snappy and responsive but just seemed a tad unpredictable if that makes sense? I liked talking to him. Didn't seem pretentious, had no ego, and was very honest... maybe too honest lol... but I like that.

A couple of days later he emailed me and told me the board came out within the desired volume so I gave him the go ahead.

Board came back earlier than promised and the communication between him/christina was awesome and I picked it up the next chance I could.

I rode it in complete crap the first few days and couldn't get a fair assessment but it still felt good.

First session I had in good waist to shoulder high throwing waves was insane. I found myself overturning it and blowing a lot of sections because I needed to hold back a bit. Wasn't quite used to it. That was my first realization that this semi stub does not surf like one. Much more like a true HPSB than any other board I've ridden in dims like these.

I've had enough sessions now where I feel like I really know the board and I feel like I do my best surfing on it when the waves are in the waist to shoulder high range. It handles larger surf really well and can grovel well too. Not quite as well as my other stubs but it also surfs a lot better overall.

Creatures AM L with Stamps trailer was the setup in Todd's board but I found it to be a bit too much directional lacking pivot with the FCS setup on my board. I found the combo of Accelerator fronts (L)with a medium performer rear to be the magic ticket and when the surf is larger just throw the large accelerator rear in.

When I emailed Tim back I told him there's a really good "balance" with this board. Everything flows extremely well and there are really no downsides or even slight hiccups. I honestly haven't been this excited for a board in a long time. I've had a handful of "magic" boards in my lifetime that just seem perfectly made for it's purpose and this is truly one of them.

I know there are plenty on here that love this design so feel free to chime in on your own as well.

Some crappy pics:

#2533915 - 08/12/16 08:53 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Oceanslide Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
I know there's a massive thread on here but I always think it's cool when you can bring up a thread about a particular model and just read about that.

Yes! jam_on

Great review...thanks for taking the time. No shortage of erBB fans of this design,
it seems. cheers

#2533920 - 08/12/16 09:15 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
I'm on my 2nd. Will always have one of these

#2533923 - 08/12/16 09:36 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
This board definitely deserves it's own thread. The hype is real, believe the kool-aid.

Replaced my SS2 completely. Pretty much all of my other boards, actually. I've ridden it from knee high to hh, beach breaks, reefs and points between SD and SB. Must have for any southern california quiver.

Some pictures of my Ikea rug:

#2533925 - 08/12/16 09:52 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
scotter Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Southern California
Every time I see this thread I'm reminded I sold mine too soon.

Maybe time for me to place another order and give it another go.

#2533931 - 08/12/16 10:41 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Coat Hanger Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Both Stamps boards I own shocked me with how responsive they are. Incredible boards.

#2533933 - 08/12/16 10:49 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: NOC
Some here have a way of putting things into words...things we all feel. Nice review, makes me want one

#2533936 - 08/12/16 11:04 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: Coat Hanger]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
"Doodled " to perfection !

#2533952 - 08/12/16 11:55 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: ]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

I'd rather see the inferior computer program that Tim uses to make so many happy .

dancing

#2533955 - 08/12/16 11:59 PM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: ]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

You probably have an E bike too

#2533961 - 08/13/16 12:05 AM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: Greg Griffin]
grg Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Tuna Town/Baja
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
You probably have an E bike too

Those are so fun. We had a couple Haibike FS at work and had a blast on them.

#2533965 - 08/13/16 12:21 AM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
Talked with Tim this afternoon, picking up my freshie's.

His approach to the business is top notch. He knows he's got a bag of secret sauce.

Tim is having the most fun.

#2533968 - 08/13/16 12:25 AM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: ]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

planning on converting mine once i save up enough coin. will include a 10' rocker stick attached to it at all times so i can inaccurately measure rockers while sipping coffee in the bolsa chica parking lot. rinsekit optional

Dont forget to put a level on your Helmet ! wave2

#2533970 - 08/13/16 12:31 AM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: sd_101]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Damn, just got back and already some erBB love

Support stock, criticism of my lawn, Greg Graffin hijack insertion, and some more stock!

Hopefully it continues.

Will post a lost driver review later in the year when I get more sessions on it and I plan to get a new keel in the fall.

Maybe in the next thread I'll reveal my 10' rocker stick to Havoc

wave2

#2533973 - 08/13/16 12:36 AM Re: Stamps Grinder X Review [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Maybe in the next thread I'll reveal my 10' rocker stick to Havoc

No No No

Keep that close to your chest , just like the commonly used - not aware of it - aps - aku rocker shelf drowning

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >