REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
South Coast Surfboards #253217
12/09/03 07:55 PM
12/09/03 07:55 PM
PNW
B
bruddahkine Offline OP
Miki Dora status
bruddahkine  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
B

PNW
A friend of mine saw a South Coast board he thought looked like a nice shape, and was a good price, but he knows nothing about them, so he asked me, and I know nothing as well, so I ask you:

Anyone here have any info about South Coast Surfboards? How are they in terms of durability, performance and value?

Thanks..

Re: South Coast Surfboards #253218
12/09/03 08:13 PM
12/09/03 08:13 PM
LBC
D
dewey haftu's cousin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
dewey haftu's cousin  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
D

LBC
South coast boards are shaped by Larry Ricci and Robin Prodonovich, both of whom are great shapers and good guys (Robin's shapes are kinda generic IMHO, but they are still good boards). SCs tend to be a bit cheaper than other boards due to the fact that they do a whole lot of sales volume, so they don't mark them up much. Southcoast is pretty much a kook shop that sells quicksilver and hurley to the masses, but there boards are pretty solid. You wouldn't catch me on one, but they probably OK boards. Before your pal lays down cash for an SC, have him go around the corner and poke his head in the Green Room. If $$$ is an issue, I think they have a used rack. It's always better to by a board from a surfshop than a clothing boutique, don'tcha think?

[ December 09, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: dewey haftu's cousin ]

Re: South Coast Surfboards #253219
12/09/03 08:54 PM
12/09/03 08:54 PM
PNW
B
bruddahkine Offline OP
Miki Dora status
bruddahkine  Offline OP
Miki Dora status
B

PNW
thanks brah - ill pass it on to my friend..anyone else have anything to say..

Re: South Coast Surfboards #253220
12/09/03 09:18 PM
12/09/03 09:18 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
S
Spray92109 Offline
Duke status
Spray92109  Offline
Duke status
S

San Diego, CA, USA
The owner of South Coast, Bird, is the real deal, a surf shop owner of the old school. He's also a good businessman, and knows how to support his wife and four kids.

If you talk with him personally about boards or wetsuits, he loves it. A great guy. Will flat-out tell you he loves talkin' shapes all day, and the rest is more about paying the bills. He's always having weird boards shaped just to try them and to get others to try them; leases a warehouse for his personal collection of oddballs, classics and antiques.

I have a couple of Robin's boards right now (plus a classic he shaped about 25 years ago). They're great. And one of them is about as far from generic as you can get. The other one, while it may look pretty run-of-the-mill (6'8" round tail tri-fin), has some custom rocker and width tweaks that make it really work for me. He's a very versatile shaper with roots in the original twin-fins (worked with MR, shaped the MR boards here in CA).

South Coast is one of the few places you can walk in and order a traditional fish or twin-fin by a shaper who had top-level experience during the twin era, but kept with the times.

To see some of the boards, http://www.southcoast.com/boards.htm

I'm stoked on mine.

And no, they don't pay me, I haven't gotten anything but free wax from them, I'm just a satisfied customer (and a surfer for 20 years, so I remember the way shops used to be).

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32