REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I think Breibart is a erBBer #2517735
06/29/16 06:36 PM
06/29/16 06:36 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline OP
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline OP
Duke status
I

HB, CA
https://archive.is/7vixl

Quote:
by AWR HAWKINS2 Oct 23, 2014

Death statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) coupled with crime statistics from the FBI show that bicycle and falling deaths far exceed deaths from “mass shootings.”
For example, on September 24 the FBI released a study showing there were 64 incidents of “mass killings” (mass shootings) for the years 2000 through 2013. The gunmen in these incidents took the lives of 418 people.

Breitbart News reported that The New York Times and AP jumped all over the study, producing headlines about how “mass shootings” are on the rise and crafting stories that revolved around the attacks at Sandy Hook Elementary and the Aurora movie theater.

The 418 people who were killed over a 14-year period works out to an average of 29.8 persons a year.

To be clear, no one wants to see even one life lost to tragedy, but the mainstream media’s focus on “mass shootings” to the detriment of other news where hundreds or even thousands more lives were lost is telling.

For example, the CDC bicycle-related injury report for 2010 shows that almost twice as many people died on bicycles in that one year than were killed in “mass shootings” during the 14 years studied by the FBI. Thus, while there were 418 deaths in “mass shootings” from 2000 to 2013, there were 800 deaths by bicycle in 2010 alone.

Moreover, there “were an estimated 515,000 emergency department visits” due to bicycle accidents.

And CDC death statistics for 2010 show there were 26,009 deaths from “falling” for that year alone. That’s right–26,009 deaths in one year from falls from ladders, counters, roofs, mountains, etc.

There were an average of 29.8 deaths a year for 14 years from “mass shootings.”

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

Read More Stories About:
Big Government, Crime, New York Times, Twitter

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session
Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517765
06/29/16 07:42 PM
06/29/16 07:42 PM
Body of Christ, Texas
T
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status
test_article  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Body of Christ, Texas
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
https://archive.is/7vixl

Quote:
by AWR HAWKINS2 Oct 23, 2014

Death statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) coupled with crime statistics from the FBI show that bicycle and falling deaths far exceed deaths from “mass shootings.”
For example, on September 24 the FBI released a study showing there were 64 incidents of “mass killings” (mass shootings) for the years 2000 through 2013. The gunmen in these incidents took the lives of 418 people.

Breitbart News reported that The New York Times and AP jumped all over the study, producing headlines about how “mass shootings” are on the rise and crafting stories that revolved around the attacks at Sandy Hook Elementary and the Aurora movie theater.

The 418 people who were killed over a 14-year period works out to an average of 29.8 persons a year.

To be clear, no one wants to see even one life lost to tragedy, but the mainstream media’s focus on “mass shootings” to the detriment of other news where hundreds or even thousands more lives were lost is telling.

For example, the CDC bicycle-related injury report for 2010 shows that almost twice as many people died on bicycles in that one year than were killed in “mass shootings” during the 14 years studied by the FBI. Thus, while there were 418 deaths in “mass shootings” from 2000 to 2013, there were 800 deaths by bicycle in 2010 alone.

Moreover, there “were an estimated 515,000 emergency department visits” due to bicycle accidents.

And CDC death statistics for 2010 show there were 26,009 deaths from “falling” for that year alone. That’s right–26,009 deaths in one year from falls from ladders, counters, roofs, mountains, etc.

There were an average of 29.8 deaths a year for 14 years from “mass shootings.”

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

Read More Stories About:
Big Government, Crime, New York Times, Twitter

I heard in some radio news item recently (NPR?) that mass shootings account for 2% of all gun deaths. That wouldn't jive with Hawkin's numbers.

Maybe someone needs to define mass shooting.

Just last night in a town across the bay, 3 died in a murder-suicide. Is that a mass shooting?

Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: test_article] #2517783
06/29/16 07:58 PM
06/29/16 07:58 PM
Hawai'i
P
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status
psykophant  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Hawai'i
Depends who you ask, so you are correct.

Assholier than thou.
Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517804
06/29/16 08:36 PM
06/29/16 08:36 PM
Body of Christ, Texas
T
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status
test_article  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Body of Christ, Texas
How many murder-suicides occur without guns?

Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517812
06/29/16 08:43 PM
06/29/16 08:43 PM
Hawai'i
P
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status
psykophant  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Hawai'i
I don't know.
What conclusions would you draw from that number?

Assholier than thou.
Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517830
06/29/16 09:35 PM
06/29/16 09:35 PM
Body of Christ, Texas
T
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status
test_article  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Body of Christ, Texas
I come from a long line of shooters. My paternal grandfather died in 1935 from four shotgun blasts inflicted in self-defense by his brother. Their brother went hunting for my grandfather's killer with a shotgun but was apprehended by police before he could do anything. This third brother's son died in 1954 of complications of typhus while in prison for shotgunning to death his estranged 18-year-old wife. In 1906, my paternal second great grandfather was hanged for shooting and killing a 15-year-old orphan girl in front of 8000 witnesses.

Is that a mass shooting?

Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517835
06/29/16 09:43 PM
06/29/16 09:43 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
That is some classy breeding there . . .

We all know what we hate.

We just don't know what we want.

Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: Autoprax] #2517854
06/29/16 10:12 PM
06/29/16 10:12 PM
Body of Christ, Texas
T
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status
test_article  Offline
Phil Edwards status
T

Body of Christ, Texas
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
That is some classy breeding there . . .

It doesn't get any better...

Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517879
06/29/16 11:04 PM
06/29/16 11:04 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline OP
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline OP
Duke status
I

HB, CA
#Texit

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session
Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: ifallalot] #2517962
06/30/16 01:38 AM
06/30/16 01:38 AM
Jonestown
G
Gnudz Offline
Phil Edwards status
Gnudz  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

Jonestown
My favorite Mass shooting:

“Unpopular opinion: I really hate political parties. I feel like when we call ourselves Democrats or Republicans, we all forget what we are Americans - Americans that love the country and each other.” - David Hogg
Re: I think Breibart is a erBBer [Re: test_article] #2518046
06/30/16 05:16 AM
06/30/16 05:16 AM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Tom Curren status
Surfdog  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Oceanside,CA
Progressive Outlet Accidentally Proves Blue States Have 42 Percent More Mass Shootings

ANDREW FOLLETT

Energy and Environmental Reporter

Blue states have 42 percent more mass shootings than red states after adjusting for population, according to data published by Vox, a progressive media outlet, and examined by The Daily Caller News Foundation.

Vox published its data after the Orlando terror attack last Sunday, and it suggests that blue states, which tend to have extremely strict gun laws, are ironically much more likely to have mass shootings than red states with less strict gun laws.

TheDCNF’s analysis found that 543 of the mass shootings listed by Vox occurred in blue states while only 330 occurred in red states. If adjusted to account for differences in the size of population, blue states have .381 mass shootings per 100,000 people, while red states have a mere .267.

Places where Democrats controlled the state legislature were even more likely to have mass shootings than the average blue state. This means that a mass shooting, as defined by Vox, is 42 percent more likely to occur in a blue state after accounting for population differences.

The deep blue areas of Washington, D.C. and Maryland led the nation with 2.38 and .998 mass shootings per 100,000 people. Illinois, Delaware, Michigan Rhode Island, and California were relatively close behind and had more mass shootings than the blue state average, according to Vox’s data.

Gun laws are generally drafted by state legislatures — Democrats control both branches of the state legislature in Maryland, Illinois, Delaware, Rhode Island, and California. Washington, D.C., which had the worst per capita mass shootings, does not have a state legislature, but every member of the current city council is a Democrat and the city has never elected a Republican mayor. This correlation between mass shootings and Democratic control of state legislature is especially striking as Democrats are currently in full control of just 11 state legislatures while the GOP is in full control of 30 state legislatures.

The typical liberal explanation for this is that mass shooters go to red states to buy guns, which they use in blue states. Even progressive Politifact findsthese claims “misleading for a varied number of reasons.” This also ignores the fact that there are already roughly 360 million firearms in America, or more guns than people.
Republicans currently control the state legislature and the governor’s office of Michigan, but the state has consistently voted for Democrats in the last six presidential elections. During the last six years, the GOP has won governorships in purple and even deep blue states: Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, New Mexico.

Of the top ten states by mass shootings per capita, TheDCNF’s analysis found that six of them were deep blue states. Several red states such as Idaho, North Dakota, and Wyoming did not have a single mass shooting.

TheDCNF concluded that a state was blue or red based on how it voted in each of the last four presidential elections. This methodology only factored in America’s 22 red states and 18 blue states. This means that if everything else was even, statistically, red states should be over-represented as there are more of them. This methodology excluded large swings states like Ohio and Florida and states, which leaned red or blue.

TheDCNF previously found that of the 998 “mass shootings” noted by Vox only 86, or roughly eight percent, meet the threshold of a “mass murder,” as defined by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and academics. Vox’s data claimed America had 11.6 times more mass shootings than actually occurred. This lack of “mass murder” didn’t stop Vox founder Ezra Klein from tweeting out an updated map of 998 “mass shootings,” which was retweeted almost 25,000 times and favorited more than 22,000 times.

Vox’s definition of a “mass shooting” isn’t an official one taken from law enforcement or academia, but appears to be originally created by anti-gun activists from the website Reddit. Vox defined a mass shooting as any shooting where four or more people are injured or killed, not counting the shooter. Criminologists and law enforcement, however define it as four or more people killed, not counting the shooter.

Daily Caller interns Dan Chaison, Josh Hamburger, Ford Springer and Jacqueline Thomas contributed to the analysis of Vox’s data that went into this report.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/20/progre.../#ixzz4CEqVjpaX

Surf 'em if you got 'em

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32