REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: GDaddy] #2512193
06/17/16 04:46 AM
06/17/16 04:46 AM
600 yards from the playground
G
GromsMom Offline
Gerry Lopez status
GromsMom  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
LOL

Go see for yourself. The numbers exist independently of your outrage at me for daring to be aware of them.

Nor can you snivel or cast aspersions about the integrity of the data sources I directed you to. Which of course, is one of the main reasons I'm using them.

Oh man, the deflection and avoidance here is outstanding applause2 Top notch!!

We need to save this one for further arguments. All we have to do is say "Hey look, I found this data, it proves my point, but you have to look it up for yourself"

Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: GromsMom] #2512196
06/17/16 05:02 AM
06/17/16 05:02 AM
Hawai'i
P
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status
psykophant  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Hawai'i
You're too dumb.

Assholier than thou.
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: grendel95] #2512199
06/17/16 05:08 AM
06/17/16 05:08 AM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Let me give you two a hint. I did say Demographics and right away FF (and most likely you) assume I was referring specifically and only to race. As far as attempting to have a little rational discourse goes, the problem with that knee-jerk assumption is that it's incorrect to the extent that demographics consists of more than just race.

FOR EXAMPLE,the stats show that not all age groups contribute equally to crime. some age groups are doing more crimes than others. And the median age in the US is ~10% lower than for (I believe) most or all of the nations that are commonly used for comparison.

There are other stats that show that children raised by 1 parent commit more crimes than children raised by both parents, marriage status notwithstanding.

Among other elements, like poverty rates, education rates, employment rates, urban vs rural; etc.

A straight up comparison between the crime stats of one nation vs another usually implies that both populations have similar attributes except for the one variable, which in the gun discussion is usually the status of gun laws. However, if there are other variables in effect then you get a more consistent comparison if you account for those variables before making the comparison, as opposed to simply ignoring them.

I am doing you the courtesy of assuming you are capable of looking at the data and forming your own opinions of it so that you won't have to decide whether or not I'm being truthful and accurate in my reporting or using reasonable modes of analysis.

You guys post cut-n-pastes of other people's opinions and tell other participants to read the material or watch the video all the time. I'm not doing any differently here. I truly want you and everyone else who might be following the discussion to see for yourselves. Hopefully leading to a somewhat more well informed discussion that rises above the name calling that otherwise seems to prevail.

#sowhat
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: psykophant] #2512201
06/17/16 05:12 AM
06/17/16 05:12 AM
G
GromsMom Offline
Gerry Lopez status
GromsMom  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: psykophant
You're too dumb.

Thanks for playing and proving my point cheers

Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: GDaddy] #2512203
06/17/16 05:23 AM
G
GromsMom Offline
Gerry Lopez status
GromsMom  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
Let me give you two a hint. I did say Demographics and right away FF (and most likely you) assume I was referring specifically and only to race. As far as attempting to have a little rational discourse goes, the problem with that knee-jerk assumption is that it's incorrect to the extent that demographics consists of more than just race.

FOR EXAMPLE,the stats show that not all age groups contribute equally to crime. some age groups are doing more crimes than others. And the median age in the US is ~10% lower than for (I believe) most or all of the nations that are commonly used for comparison.

There are other stats that show that children raised by 1 parent commit more crimes than children raised by both parents, marriage status notwithstanding.

Among other elements, like poverty rates, education rates, employment rates, urban vs rural; etc.

A straight up comparison between the crime stats of one nation vs another usually implies that both populations have similar attributes except for the one variable, which in the gun discussion is usually the status of gun laws. However, if there are other variables in effect then you get a more consistent comparison if you account for those variables before making the comparison, as opposed to simply ignoring them.

I am doing you the courtesy of assuming you are capable of looking at the data and forming your own opinions of it so that you won't have to decide whether or not I'm being truthful and accurate in my reporting or using reasonable modes of analysis.

You guys post cut-n-pastes of other people's opinions and tell other participants to read the material or watch the video all the time. I'm not doing any differently here. I truly want you and everyone else who might be following the discussion to see for yourselves. Hopefully leading to a somewhat more well informed discussion that rises above the name calling that otherwise seems to prevail.

Now we are getting somewhere, but still a bit vague...

1. I doubt age has that much of a factor in gun murders per 100k. So you're saying that because the median age is 10% lower in the U.S, this is contributing to the huge difference in gun murders per 100k? shrug

2. Your second point only says that 1 parent families commit more crimes, but that could include a wide range of crimes, not just gun murders. Doesn't really help explain the large discrepancy still. shrug

3. I don't disagree that other factors affect gun murders. I am not that much of a simpleton to think that it is only guns causing the problem, but I do think there is strong link between our gun culture/gun laws and the homicides in the U.S.

FYI, I rarely (or never) cut and paste articles, especially from biased sources on the left and right. You can look through my history. Don't confuse me with frvcs, FF, and josh smosh who do that. If I do post stuff it is usually from neutral sources.

Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: GromsMom] #2512204
Hawai'i
P
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status
psykophant  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: GromsMom
Originally Posted By: psykophant
You're too dumb.

Thanks for playing and proving my point cheers

I'll spell it out for the dummy.

"It wasn't up to me; so if you think I'm somehow responsible for/answerable to any of your perceived inconsistencies, then not only are you too dumb to own a firearm, but also too dumb to understand *any* answer to such a question."

Ie, "You're too dumb."

Edit: Oh, and btw, you have no point.

Assholier than thou.
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: grendel95] #2512209
06/17/16 05:45 AM
06/17/16 05:45 AM
Hawai'i
P
psykophant Offline
Miki Dora status
psykophant  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Hawai'i
Holy crap, this guy must lurk and read fecal's rants...

foreheadslap roflmao

Assholier than thou.
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: grendel95] #2512228
06/17/16 08:41 AM
06/17/16 08:41 AM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Don't believe my assertion about age? Okay, here are the stats for that. See for yourself. The graphic below is for the period between 1990-2010 because that format would fit on the screen. But the trends it demonstrates are consistent with the current trends. Google "FBI Table 38 " to see the current stats for arrests by age.

Here is what the arrests by age look like in the FBIs stats. Ages 20-24 are reported individually but the age groups after that are reported in 5yr increments, so I broke those numbers down as an average per yr of age.

You can see that the average for total arrests for the 40-44 age group is only 15% that of the 20-21 age group. In the arrests for murder (most of which will involve gun violence) the same pattern repeats.

So when the U.S. has a median age (36.8yrs) that's at or near 10% lower than that of other nations it commonly gets compared to, there's an adjustment to be made for that factor if we want to compare their gun violence stats on the more consistent basis.

That's just one difference between our demographics and those of other nations that our crime rates get compared to. There are others, too.

After a certain point the cumulative effects of several of these covariables adds up. In the aggregate and after adjustment for several of these differences the resulting picture is not as dire as the simpler straight comparison that doesn't take into consideration any of these factors. That's not to say the picture is good because it isn't. But it's nowhere near as dire as the simple no-look comparo would otherwise depict.

#sowhat
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: grendel95] #2512238
06/17/16 11:25 AM
06/17/16 11:25 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: grendel95
I am not against guns or gun ownership, I'm just curious.

I've seen a lot of claims that it's not an assault rifle.

It's an aggressive looking weapon and I have had the opportunity to fire them, but it jammed when I tried to fire a lot of rounds at once.

My impression is that it is a weapon designed for combat. It's not designed for hunting or personal protection.

Is it just "cool" to have one or does it have a specific non-combat purpose?

Wow. 4 pages of nonsense and not a single person made an intelligent attempt at answering the original post. Let me give it a go.

1. Some people think they look cool. (not my cup of tea though)

2. Despite the claims in the media they are not high power. In some states its not even legal to hunt deer with because the cartridge is not powerful enough. The benefit though is that the gun has a low recoil meaning you can go to the range and shoot all day without feeling like you've been run over by a truck the next day.

3. The low recoil makes it popular to shoot for a wider range of people. Young people and women can shoot them without getting bruised up.

4. Its an accurate and flat shooting cartridge.

5. Biggie here. Because of the round's small size and also because the .223 has been the military standard for ages, ammunition is very inexpensive compared to larger more popular hunting rounds like the 30/06. This lets you shoot all day without breaking the bank.

6. These guns are highly customizable. People like to tinker with them and there are all sorts of accessories and parts you can buy to make them shoot better than out of the box.

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are what comes to mind. I've never owned one. Just never had a use for one. I hunt in NJ, PA and WV and the .223 cartridge is not legal for deer hunting in any of these states because its too small. About all you can hunt with them is ground hogs and coyotes. Do have a semi-auto .22 that is mechanically similar that is real fun to shoot. Also have high power deer rifles.

Here is a comparrison between the .223 and the .308 that we use for deer hunting.

And the even more popular 30/06 round.

This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: VanHook] #2512243
06/17/16 12:17 PM
06/17/16 12:17 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: VanHook
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Why does one drive a Ferrari, or any sports car for that matter?

First of all, a car is a luxury.

A sports car is a super-duper luxury.

That said, if you're a professional race-car driver you do it because you have super-human driving skills and reflexes, and you can get paid to do it (and it probably gets you a lot of pussy).

If you're a regular human being, you do it hoping to get pussy?

You do it because you're pathetic, and feel the need to impress other pathetic people?

You're anti-social and a potential danger to yourself and others?

A car is absolutely not a luxury, it is an essential part of living life in American society. Period.

MUELLER IS COMING batman
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: ifallalot] #2512249
06/17/16 12:39 PM
06/17/16 12:39 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: VanHook
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Why does one drive a Ferrari, or any sports car for that matter?

First of all, a car is a luxury.

A sports car is a super-duper luxury.

That said, if you're a professional race-car driver you do it because you have super-human driving skills and reflexes, and you can get paid to do it (and it probably gets you a lot of pussy).

If you're a regular human being, you do it hoping to get pussy?

You do it because you're pathetic, and feel the need to impress other pathetic people?

You're anti-social and a potential danger to yourself and others?

A car is absolutely not a luxury, it is an essential part of living life in American society. Period.

If having a car is an essential part of living life in American society everyone, at least those over 18 years old, would have a car. Since they don't, you're wrong.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: ifallalot] #2512251
06/17/16 12:45 PM
06/17/16 12:45 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

Liberal democrat urban planners disagree with you.

This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: grendel95] #2512253
06/17/16 12:49 PM
06/17/16 12:49 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

I personally don't have a problem with outlawing the sale of all firearms as I personally don't have a need for them. There are plenty of ways to kill someone without a firearm should the need arise. Outlawing the sale of firearms doesn't address those that are already out there. What is to be done about that? Fecal? Gromsmom?

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: ElOgro] #2512257
06/17/16 01:17 PM
06/17/16 01:17 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: ElOgro
I personally don't have a problem with outlawing the sale of all firearms as I personally don't have a need for them. There are plenty of ways to kill someone without a firearm should the need arise. Outlawing the sale of firearms doesn't address those that are already out there. What is to be done about that? Fecal? Gromsmom?

So you're ok with taking away someone else's freedom because its a freedom you don't exercise. Kind of like being OK with Nazi's because you're not Jewish. Doesn't effect you.

Re: What is an AR15 for and why do regular citizens have them? [Re: grendel95] #2512259
06/17/16 01:34 PM
06/17/16 01:34 PM
O
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

rather have one of these for those long distance love taps
ultimateline up cleaner from 1/2 mile to a mile away
no need for GWS patrols

[img]http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpengine...ifle1.jpg?w=645[/img]

make it hand to hand
make it a "true" life and death experience
guns, cannons, mortars, artilliary, and bombs like fatman and now drones turned war and death into a couch potato game

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32