REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2468998 - 03/08/16 11:58 AM Thing vs 2X4 in same length
baseball1 Offline
Grom

Anyone ridden both boards in the same length/size and care to compare them ?

#2469014 - 03/08/16 12:22 PM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Francisco
Not exactly the same length and size but close enough to compare.

The 2x4 is much more solid in waves with push and really needs a shoulder high+ wave to get going. Doesn't care for a flat faced wave at all. I'd call it more of a specialty step up board or travel board.

The Thing is basically your all around generic hp shortboard workhorse. Works in anything but is certainly best under head high. Having said that, I've had fun on it in 2 foot slop and just overhead barrel. My Thing is currently my go to board that I ride at least 80% of the time and I love it.

#2469015 - 03/08/16 12:22 PM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status

Not exactly the same length and size but close enough to compare.

The 2x4 is much more solid in waves with push and really needs a shoulder high+ wave to get going. Doesn't care for a flat faced wave at all. I'd call it more of a specialty step up board or travel board.

The Thing is basically your all around generic hp shortboard workhorse. Works in anything but is certainly best under head high. Having said that, I've had fun on it in 2 foot slop and just overhead barrel. My Thing is currently my go to board that I ride at least 80% of the time and I love it.

#2470121 - 03/10/16 03:25 PM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
baseball1 Offline
Grom

thanks kool-aid - I'm in CR and need a board for chest high to about 3 foot overhead for a beachbreak with lots of paddling - seriously thinking about a 2x4.

#2470126 - 03/10/16 03:32 PM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
rts265 Online   content
Miki Dora status

have a bigger 2x4 (6'6) that I now use my thing (6'4) for same conditions

I only ride my thing on bigger days.

I would get a 2x4 in same dims for a replacement. Hope that doesn't confuse you.

#2470505 - 03/11/16 11:27 AM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status

The thing is pretty versatile and you can make it work in a lot of different conditions depending on how you get it shaped. But if paddling is key, I'd give the nod to the 2x4 with it's forward volume.

#2470724 - 03/11/16 06:45 PM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
Njryan Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Can't go wrong either way.......I have both and love both. Describing the conditions you want it for I think a 2x4 with a skate deck with a round tail would be perfect. The thing can handle this also, but I like the double concave in the 2x4 when it's bigger.

#2473086 - 03/17/16 12:50 AM Re: Thing vs 2X4 in same length [Re: baseball1]
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Rbeach
Originally Posted By: baseball1
thanks kool-aid - I'm in CR and need a board for chest high to about 3 foot overhead for a beachbreak with lots of paddling - seriously thinking about a 2x4.

Just throw out the buzzsaw works great in these conditions and why I got my 5'7" 19" 2.18" pintail with sk8 deck and could easily handle 10' beahbreak with plenty of paddle power. I use my buzzsaw as a step up to my superbuzz and so I am used to the length but its nice taking off under the lip and pulling under curtain with short rail wave2